The Fleur saga

(30 Posts)
Frankiefarr Tue 08-Nov-16 16:09:54

So we liked Fleur but it got a very negative response on here. I've been having some fun when being asked my name by helplines and things (not sales calls) by saying it is Fleur and my surname or some of our other choices.

Of all of them Fleur gets the most comment with people spontaneously saying things like "oh what a pretty name' when I ask if it sounds like I'm saying Bleurgh, people have said not at all it's lovely.

Haven't had the same reaction with some of our other choices. It has proved an interesting if unscientific way of gauging how the name plays out in real life

MadameSilva Tue 08-Nov-16 16:22:31

Fleur is a fabulous name. It was on my list for my dd and will be for any future dd.

If you love it, use it.

princesshaley Tue 08-Nov-16 16:24:52

This sounds a bit like the Starbucks test ! I've heard of people giving a favourite name of theirs when they order at Starbucks to see if the barista can spell the name correctly and what kind of reaction it gets.

I'm planning on giving it a little go when the time comes - some of my favourite guilty pleasure names are quite out there and very much frowned upon on MN grin

fwiw - I like Fleur!

SausageSoda Tue 08-Nov-16 16:31:54

Fleur is a lovely name. It was scrapped from my list as unfortunately it just isn't nice with my accent (NI).

Frankiefarr Tue 08-Nov-16 16:58:40

I never thought of Starbucks. Excellent I'm going to try that next!!

Wanderingraspberry Tue 08-Nov-16 17:21:43

Love Fleur (very Forsythe Saga).

BuntyFigglesworthSpiffington Tue 08-Nov-16 20:43:57

I love your method of testing the name out! 😄

QueenLizIII Tue 08-Nov-16 22:11:44

I like it. Very pretty.

PilkoPumpPants Tue 08-Nov-16 22:16:10

Fleur is one of my favourite names. If I have another dd I'm going to use it for a middle name. The only reason it wouldn't be used for the first name is purely because I like long names.

Use it!! Its absolutely beautiful and not very common at the moment eitherwink.

HardcoreLadyType Tue 08-Nov-16 22:18:24

What's wrong with Fleur? It's a very pretty name, and I imagine most people in the U.K. study at least a little French at school, so know how to pronounce and spell it?

Sounds like Bleugh? Yeah, and Jane sounds like pain, Sue sounds like poo, and Sophie sounds like sofa. Whatever!

groovygreenwichgirl Wed 09-Nov-16 09:18:35

Such a pretty name.

fleurdelacourt Wed 09-Nov-16 12:01:08

great name smile

Only1scoop Wed 09-Nov-16 12:02:40

It's a lovely name Op

Frankiefarr Wed 09-Nov-16 15:42:14

Thanks everyone. When I suggested Fleur on here the reaction was overwhelmingly negative with people saying it sounded awful in different accents and sounded like someone was being sick or saying Bleurgh....

I've found in real life people just haven't had that reaction so we have put it back to the top of our list

ThoraGruntwhistle Wed 09-Nov-16 15:50:06

I really like it smile
If you love it and it sounds good with your surname, balls to people saying 'bleurgh' etc.

liquidrevolution Wed 09-Nov-16 16:24:53

There will always be someone on here who hates whatever name. Just go with your gut feeling so long as its not frogmella rothmans.

My DD is an Emma which apparently is 'boring' according to posters on here hmm. Its true, there was a whole thread about how boring it is. Problem is a I have very long extravagant surname so a simple easy first name was needed.

If Fleur hadnt already been used by a relative I cant stand it would have been on my shortlist. smile

UntilTheCowsComeHome Wed 09-Nov-16 16:27:56

My DS's friend has a 15 yo sister called Fleur, I think it's a gorgeous name.

HandbagCrab Wed 09-Nov-16 16:28:44

Fleur is on our shortlist as well. People on here can be very opinionated about names, go with what you love!

Allalonenow Wed 09-Nov-16 16:29:12

Fleur is a lovely name, one of my favourites.

Veggiesupremeextracheese Wed 09-Nov-16 16:31:57

Love fleur!!!

Nospringflower Wed 09-Nov-16 16:39:39

I like Fleur. Unusual but not too out there!

Frankiefarr Wed 09-Nov-16 16:40:29

Apparently Liquidrevolution there are a disproportionately large number of Emma's at Oxford and Cambridge. It is a great name. I know two Emma's and they both love their name xx

myfriendnigel Wed 09-Nov-16 16:41:10

I love the name Fleur.exh did not (for the reason you give-rhymes with bleurgh) so we didn't use it.
Just use it if you like it!

Pluto30 Wed 09-Nov-16 20:21:42

I don't like Fleur because it sounds horrible in my (Australian) accent.

It just sounds a bit phlegmy.

But I don't think it sounds that way in all accents. grin

frenchielala Thu 10-Nov-16 19:59:49

LOVE FLUER! I want all my children to have the same initials or I would use it for sure

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now