Will Madeleine inevitably become Maddie?

(72 Posts)
Heatherbell1978 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:08:17

DD1 due in February. I have a DS1, Charlie. Think we're set on Heidi but I've always loved Madeleine and can't shake it off. We discounted it as we're not fans of names that are easily shortened and would prefer child to go by the name we give.
DH thinks it will inevitably be shortened as it's a long name but then it's 3 syllables the same as Emily, Olivia etc which don't tend to be shortened......
Any thoughts?

Pluto30 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:10:12

Yep.

I know 5 Madeleines and 3 Madisons and they all get Maddie.

Also, Olivia tends to get shortened, IME. Always to Liv/Livvy.

FrancisCrawford Sun 06-Nov-16 09:10:12

No, it won't.

I know four Madeleine's (the oldest being 80)

Only 1 uses Maddie.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:27:23

It's impossible to police it though, so I wouldn't use it if you hate Maddie.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:29:42

Also as you have a Charlie people might well assume that you do like shortened names.

Fairylea Sun 06-Nov-16 09:30:52

Will definitely become Maddie.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Sun 06-Nov-16 09:31:49

My sister is a Madeleine and she gets Mads. But it's really up to her - if she was to insist on Madeleine at school she'd be that.

Jinglebells99 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:34:42

I think you might well end up with Charlie and Maddie, since Charlie is a shortened version of Charles, so people may naturally shorten Madeleine too.
My dd has a traditional name with several nicknames and she still gets called by her full name though.

Heatherbell1978 Sun 06-Nov-16 13:32:50

Yes Charlie is a shortened version of Charles but he's Charlie on his birth certificate. I don't expect it would be shortened further....but Madeleine would be Madeleine rather than Maddie on her birth certificate. I don't hate Maddie, I just prefer the full name.

FrancisCrawford Sun 06-Nov-16 13:37:16

There are loads of people with names that can be shortened but who chose to use the longer version. If you call her Madeleine and explain that you don't want it shortened, then there is every change it won't be. I know several Christine's, all of whom use the full version of their name. It certainly isn't a given.

Of course, she may decide to shorten it herself!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 06-Nov-16 18:02:53

It will, yes.

NavyandWhite Sun 06-Nov-16 22:06:33

Of course not, not if you don't let it.

reallysayingsomething Sun 06-Nov-16 22:07:45

My daughter is a Madeline and it is not shortened.

madrose Sun 06-Nov-16 22:10:04

Mine is a Madeleine, she likes Maddy and Madeleine. Hates any other shortening and tells people so. She loves both names.

AmeliaJack Sun 06-Nov-16 22:17:56

My best friend has a name which is almost always shortened (think Jennifer to Jenny) but she never shortens it and everyone follows her lead.

However you'd have to be prepared that your DD herself would want to shorten it.

I do know a Madeleine called Lainey.

MyWineTime Sun 06-Nov-16 22:57:46

I deliberately chose names for my children that had a number of different versions of them. That way they would have the opportunity to use the version that they liked the most.
I don't understand the need to be so controlling over the variations of your child's name that other people will use.
I have yet to come across a name that other people will not shorten, lengthen or manipulate in some way.
Heidi is a lovely name, my friend is always called Heids.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 07-Nov-16 02:23:03

Exactly as Pluto said in first reply.

user1471950254 Mon 07-Nov-16 02:27:03

I agree people may presume Charlie has been shortened! Also as other PPs have said even if you insist on the full name she may prefer a nickname

SorenaJ Mon 07-Nov-16 09:14:56

I don't get the you can't control the nicknames, I have a name that gets lots of nicknames (think Elizabeth), there is one of the nicknames I hate, so if people use that, I just polite say "please don't use that, I prefer xy", and then that's it. If your daughter doesn't like Maddie, then she'll tell people that she prefers Madeleine. Simple as that.

NavyandWhite Mon 07-Nov-16 09:44:34

Ds has a name that is usually shortened. Right from the start he was always going to be his full name. A few friends would refer to him as the shortened version even though we had never used it and I would always correct them. They gradually stopped.

His school friends sometimes call him the shortened version but mostly it's in full.

You just have to keep saying " she's not called Maddy, it's Madeleine " and people will get it.

Madeleine is really beautiful.

MyWineTime Mon 07-Nov-16 17:36:18

You just have to keep saying " she's not called Maddy, it's Madeleine " and people will get it.
Some will, others won't. You will have no control at all over what her friends call her. She will decide for herself what she likes.

Baylisiana Mon 07-Nov-16 17:40:36

People will try, definitely, but if you are happy to correct them for a while they will mostly, not always, adapt. The only thing is that your dd may be happy with being called Maddie, at school for example, so you'll probably end up following her lead.

RiverTam Mon 07-Nov-16 17:44:08

My cousin is Madeleine and certainly no-one in the family shortened it.

Madeleine is do beautiful and Maddie so ugly, I always feel sad when I hear it shortened.

NavyandWhite Mon 07-Nov-16 18:33:07

Sorry that's not true MyWine. Whilst Ds is a child I can correct them. As an adult that's different but by that time the name will have well and truly stuck and the person in question would most likely just correct them their self.

AmeliaJack Mon 07-Nov-16 22:57:56

That only works Navy if the child themselves doesn't prefer the short form.

I had a friend at school whose real name was Jenny-Mae. As soon as she hit high school she started introducing herself as Jen.

Her parents hate "Jen" and determinedly use her full name even though she personally hasn't used it for 30 years.

I wouldn't use a name I didn't like the short form of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now