James Thomas

(21 Posts)
zazie7 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:09:13

We have settled on Matilda Elizabeth for if our baby due in 4 weeks is a girl. What do you think of James Thomas for a boy? We love the name James and Thomas is a family name we would like to use but not sure if the combination is a bit boring. I am considering adding a 2nd middle name for instance James Thomas Leo but DH is not keen. Any other suggestions?

Gardencentregroupie Fri 04-Nov-16 17:11:37

It reminds me a bit of Charlotte's husband in SATC, the weird repressed one who called his penis his John Thomas, but I strongly suspect that's just me smile Actually I like both James and Thomas, I like James Leo Thomas even more as it breaks it up a bit but 2 middle names is a bit unnecessary.

Chinlo Fri 04-Nov-16 17:29:19

They're both very traditional and classic names. The middle name is rarely used in reality, so not important. And James is as good a first name as any. So I see no issue.

MadameJosephine Fri 04-Nov-16 17:41:29

It's lovely and so is Matilda Elizabeth. Not boring at all, good solid classic name

Mol1628 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:44:02

Lovely names.

SausageSoda Fri 04-Nov-16 17:48:00

I'll be honest and say that I do find it a bit of a boring combination. Both classic names but I find James a bit bland and tepid.

SausageSoda Fri 04-Nov-16 17:49:11

If you like classic names George Thomas, Edward Thomas etc are much better in my opinion. Anything but James grin

PikachuSayBoo Fri 04-Nov-16 17:51:18

I also reckon it's a bit too close to John Thomas (penis)

NappingRabbit Fri 04-Nov-16 17:51:40

I also made the John Thomas connection garden and had to think through the James nicknames to make sure it wasn't the same name. But it was quickly dismissed and my next thought was that they are lovely names. Really love James.

zazie7 Fri 04-Nov-16 18:05:54

Thanks for the comments. That's a shame that several people have thought off John Thomas, that crossed my mind too but I thought I was overthinking it. Might have to rethink. Garden, thank you for the suggestion of James Leo Thomas, maybe that would be better to avoid the John Thomas association.

Sophronia Fri 04-Nov-16 18:07:17

James Thomas is lovely, you can't go wrong with it

Chinlo Fri 04-Nov-16 18:10:33

You think anyone under the age of 30 is going to have any idea what this John Thomas thing is about? I don't and I'm over 30!

Also, you like James Thomas, not John Thomas, that's extremely tenuous.

And finally, how many people are going to call him James Thomas in his life anyway? Between you telling family and him getting married, the two names will probably only be said together about 4 times in his life.

harderandharder2breathe Fri 04-Nov-16 18:11:36

Thomas is a very common surname where I am... I know people with the first name John and James, no issues for them as adults and a middle name much less known than a surname

TheHiphopopotamus Fri 04-Nov-16 18:14:05

It reminds me a bit of Charlotte's husband in SATC, the weird repressed one who called his penis his John Thomas

Not just you. It was my first thought. And I actually have a relation called John Thomas Surname confused

Too reminiscent for me, I'm afraid.

TheHiphopopotamus Fri 04-Nov-16 18:14:59

James Leo is lovely though.

PikachuSayBoo Fri 04-Nov-16 18:16:34

John Thomas wasn't just a SATC thing. It's an actual thing way before SATC.

VLJ1988 Fri 04-Nov-16 18:16:52

It's nice!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 04-Nov-16 18:17:32

I instantly thought of John Thomas too.

Dontrocktheboat Fri 04-Nov-16 18:48:01

The John Thomas thing is from Lady Chatterley's Lover I think so probably quite enduring!

I'm not sure that is a problem as James Thomas is different but I do find the combination quite dull, sorry. Leo James is nice.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 04-Nov-16 19:21:47

James Thomas is lovely, Leo James is nicer.

MoneyPit2016 Fri 04-Nov-16 22:33:15

My brother is Thomas James; often gets called TJ smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now