Would you let a 6 year old change their name?

(45 Posts)
Bricks4 Thu 27-Oct-16 19:28:43

My son is called Matthew. I liked the name, thought that it was 'normal' and wouldn't cause any problems... no...

For some bizarre reason, his teacher called him 'Maths' once... As it's Math-hugh (I suppose) we call him Matt at times and his friends used to call him that. Ever since this Maths thing, people take the piss and call him English, Science, PE, etc.

It's really getting to him and I know that it's the teasing that should stop, but DS has just become to hate his name...

PoldarksBreeches Thu 27-Oct-16 19:30:25

No. it will blow over.

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 27-Oct-16 19:32:11

Who takes the piss? I can't believe a class of 6 year olds actually even heard 'Maths' being said let alone made the link to naming him after other subjects?

LucyFuckingPevensie Thu 27-Oct-16 19:32:38

Nope, I wouldn't either. How bad is the teasing ? Is it done in a nasty way ?

Bricks4 Thu 27-Oct-16 19:33:51

ineed, how many 6-7 year olds are you around? Some can be seriously nasty.

Lucy, yes, it's said in a nasty way, his teacher was the one who told me.

Wolfiefan Thu 27-Oct-16 19:35:00

People? Kids at school? It's bullying. Get that to stop. Don't change his name. Let him decide if he wants to be Matt or Matthew or whatever.

CrazyCatLaydee123 Thu 27-Oct-16 19:35:22

Even if he changed his name, they'd still do it.

hippydippybaloney Thu 27-Oct-16 19:36:28

No of course not. I can't see myself shouting 'spongebob! Across the playground'

HappyHeart87 Thu 27-Oct-16 19:37:10

I'd say really no don't change his name. Without even going into why that's a really awful idea (imo), it obviously wouldn't stop bullying if the name calling has already morphed into words that have no relation to 'Matthew'.

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 27-Oct-16 19:37:30

I have a 6 year old and they would not be paying attention to what a teacher was saying to another kid and to hear the distinction between 'Maths' and 'Matts' in a busy classroom they would have to be listening very carefully. I am sorry they are being nasty but why hasn't the teacher stamped down on it already?

princesshaley Thu 27-Oct-16 19:37:58

has the teasing been reported to the school? if the teacher is made aware of the situation, they might be able to put a stop to it, as the children are still quite young.

definitely don't change his name over it though - being called Maths isn't a serious problem that he'll likely run into later in life.

Wolfiefan Thu 27-Oct-16 19:38:17

Hippy! Mine would probably be Princess Sparkly Kitty Kitten Unicorn. Bit of a mouthful!

Believeitornot Thu 27-Oct-16 19:40:14

My 7 year old wouldn't call names like that. And anyway you can't change his name every time he gets teased!

I got teased because of my name. But name changing didn't occur to me. That would imply that my name was the problem.

Pancakeflipper Thu 27-Oct-16 19:40:31

Changing his name will not stop it. And any name you pick has some opportunity to take to piss out of it.

Get the teachers to keep an eye on this.
And encourage your son to laugh about it back - then the power of the nasty is defused and it's boring teasing someone who ain't arsed.

TwentyCups Thu 27-Oct-16 19:41:42

I think I would let a 6 year old change their name (maybe not legally but let them choose what to be known as) but I'm not sure I would for this reason. As Crazy Cat said, they would continue with this name calling regardless IMO - the name is not the problem - the bullying is and this is what needs to be dealt with.

PlumsGalore Thu 27-Oct-16 19:51:47

Seriously? This is normal childish behaviour typical of that age group. DS friendship group started calling each other the female version of their names at this age, so think Jackie for Jack, Chrissy for Christopher . DS's female name stuck for ten years!!! He still gets called it occasionally by one of his friend's mums!

zen1 Thu 27-Oct-16 19:55:12

My DC at primary school wouldn't have heard the terms 'maths', 'English' etc. It's all numeracy, literacy these days.

Purplebluebird Thu 27-Oct-16 19:57:41

No way! Stop the bullying instead. There is no way I'd let my child change his name at 6 years old.

Bricks4 Thu 27-Oct-16 20:04:09

Zen, so you think I'm talking about 20 years ago? The these days it was just silly, it's obvious that it depends on school as at DC's school, they interchange

BikeRunSki Thu 27-Oct-16 20:08:19

Even if he changed his name the "Maths" incident will still have happened and the nicknames will still be there. Bizarre abbreviation of Matthew though. The school needs to address the bullying.

Matthew is a dab name by the way..

BikeRunSki Thu 27-Oct-16 20:08:37

Fab! Not dab!

anotherdayanothersquabble Thu 27-Oct-16 20:09:58

Oh gosh. Your poor son.

Way to much of my story but.... My daughter had a similar thing where people got her name wrong, a teacher was involved and her class mates picked up on it. It was a horrible and odd time where she became this person who was pushed past and laughed at if she fell over. The name thing was just one in a long list. I took her out of school part time for a term and she went back a different person after some sessions with a child psychologist and finding her own routes to self belief. After going back, the same teacher got her name wrong and the whole class corrected the teacher and she told them off. This time my daughter came out well out of it. The whole thing baffled me. How she went from being fine at school to being this invisible child and then but of jokes to comfortable in her own skin and back to being an equal in the class. I would never had believed such a thing could happen and her class mates parents were surprised and none of the individual events were significant but when added together it made my daughter miserable.

I wouldn't change his name but I would get involved. Allow him to find things that make him feel better about himself. I had a few direct words with some of the children but I think actually the shock of her leaving school and me telling the other parents why made the children realise that there harmless mucking around wasn't harmless.

Overshared but I hope something in our story help you.

Pluto30 Thu 27-Oct-16 20:16:22

Matthew's a lovely name.

I'd address the issue. It's bullying, and the fact that it came from the teacher initially is even worse.

FinallyHere Thu 27-Oct-16 20:18:12

Not sure why its up to you.

My first day of school, teacher called me by a nickname. I didn't like it but was was not in a strong position, not knowing how to spell any other name. That night, I remember asking my mother how to spell my middle name and used that at school from then on. Simples.

Bricks4 Thu 27-Oct-16 20:19:44

Thanks everyone.

He wants to be known by Hugh... but obviously I shouldn't let him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now