Elliot for a girl

(39 Posts)
freethebiscuit Tue 25-Oct-16 15:39:55

DH will likely veto anyway, but do you always think of a boy if you see the name Elliot? Dd3 on the way and so hard to think of names I love this time around! Anything similar oh helpful MNetters?

Donatellalymanmoss Tue 25-Oct-16 15:42:19

As a scrubs fan I think of this as a girls name as well as a boys name, but lots of people won't. What about Eliza?

ObscureThing Tue 25-Oct-16 15:42:27

I don't- we used to watch Scrubs and that would be my first thought.

KondosSecretJunkRoom Tue 25-Oct-16 15:44:05

Yes, I think of a boy's name.

Elliot was named Elliot in scrubs because her Dad wanted a boy.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Tue 25-Oct-16 15:45:47

I really like it as a girls name!

BellaGoth Tue 25-Oct-16 15:47:32

I really like it, but I'm also a scrubs fan!

She may well be shortened to Ellie or Lottie though.

BellaGoth Tue 25-Oct-16 15:48:25

That sounds like I don't like those nicknames. I do like them. I am sleep deprived and somewhat inarticulate...

Chinlo Tue 25-Oct-16 15:56:46

Yes it is a boy's name.

loobylou10 Tue 25-Oct-16 15:57:57

I have a son. He's called Elliot. Yes, it's a boys name.

HeteronormativeHaybales Tue 25-Oct-16 16:04:20

It's a boy's name (or a surname).

Ellen? Ella? Leonie? Lottie a good suggestion too.

5moreminutes Tue 25-Oct-16 16:10:31

Family name first, boys name second... If I heard of a girl called Elliott I'd assume an American parent (not necessarily a negative thing but I associate using boys names for girls with US naming trends ...) A lot of names are used for boys but gradually become neutral or girls names over time but it seems to start in America usually. I've heard of a female McKenzie recently...

It wouldn't be too out there but a lot of people would automatically think boy they just saw a name on a list... At least if she doesn't want an ambiguous name she has options and can introduce herself as Ellie or Lottie, unlike some names which wouldn't give her anywhere to "go" for a less masculine name if she personally preferred.

Yes the character in Scrubs is meant to have a boys name because her dad wanted a boy - so it is meant to be a recognised male name and part of her character's low self esteem back story...

CourtJester Tue 25-Oct-16 16:15:28

Love it as a girls name! Ever since I read a book when I was younger and one of the man characters was a female Elliot (she was a bad-ass and a hero!)

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 25-Oct-16 18:34:53

I do think of a boy, when I hear Elliot.
How about Ellis.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Tue 25-Oct-16 18:38:37

Ellis and Elliot are both boys names (traditionally and more numerous current use).

Ellis Peters and Ellis Bell were both chosen as male names to hide the fact that the author was female. Elliot is just so well known as the boy in ET.

NavyandWhite Tue 25-Oct-16 19:26:25

No, why would you?

SquirrelPaws Tue 25-Oct-16 19:28:52

I've known more girl Elliotts than boys. I think it's unisex.

BeastofCraggyIsland Tue 25-Oct-16 19:52:53

It is a boy's name but I like it for a girl too and think it works. I like that kind of thing though, Alex, Stevie etc. for girls. Ellie and Lottie are good 'girly' nickname options too.

EssentialHummus Tue 25-Oct-16 19:58:05

Do an AS OP, I remember that this has cropped up here before (with a similar response).

Chinlo Tue 25-Oct-16 20:00:02

I've known more girl Elliotts than boys. I think it's unisex

I think that's just you. It certainly can't be common.

Because statistically speaking, over the last 20 years in England and Wales:

ELLIOTT (boys): Up from 88th to 71st
ELLIOTT (girls): Up from 0 to 4103rd

ELLIOT (boys): Down from 70th to 73rd
ELLIOT (girls): Up from 0 to 3252nd

In 2016, the name Elliot/t was given to 12 girls and 1864 boys.

So overwhelmingly a boys name.

Anyway OP, you can obviously do what you want, but it definitely is a boy's name. Some people are using James for girls now, but it's still very much a boy's name.

Pemba Tue 25-Oct-16 20:33:25

It's a boy's name, end of. She won't thank you for it.

Plenty of nice girl's names beginning with 'El'. Eleanor, Elena, Eliana, Elise, Ella, Elle, just Ellie, etc. etc.

SorenaJ Tue 25-Oct-16 20:41:25

Elliot is a great name for a girl. She won't thank society for gendering her based on her genitals either, so Elliot seems quite small compared to that. It's got lots of lovely nicknames as well. Go for it.

Coey2016 Wed 26-Oct-16 05:49:29

I think of as a boys name too.

FrancisCrawford Wed 26-Oct-16 06:00:30

Surname then boys name.

raviolidreaming Wed 26-Oct-16 11:22:59

Like others have said, the point in Scrubs is that Elliot has a boys name - it's part of the storyline!

Hersetta427 Wed 26-Oct-16 14:01:09

They are so many girls names....why would you give her a boys name?

Dislike the name Elliot anyway as a boys name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now