If you don't like these names, what names do you like?

(37 Posts)
roommy Thu 20-Oct-16 21:21:57

Just so I know if you're the type to like names I hate, so I don't feel so bad grin I can't explain it really! Also, just general thoughts?

- Bayleigh
- Dottie
- Ivory
- Lily
- Madison
- Teddie

Pluto30 Thu 20-Oct-16 21:37:30

Bayleigh is awful, primarily because of the spelling. Why not Bailey? I know female dog named Bailey and a little boy named Bailey, so I see it as working for both sexes, but keep the regular spelling. I prefer Riley for a unisex name.

Dottie is cute, but it works better as a nickname. What if she's a bit ditzy, or eccentric? Dotty here means crazy or a bit nuts, or a bit daft. Minnie is nice, and along the same line as Dottie?

Ivory is dead elephants. Ivy is lovely.

Lily is gorgeous. One of my favourite names.

I like Madison, although I know I'm in the minority on here.

Teddie is awful. Edie? Short for Edith or Edita, possibly? Although Edie can work on it's own. I have a friend named Edwina who gets Eddie for short, but could reasonably get Teddie if she wanted, so maybe giving her a fuller first name that can be shortened to Teddie? Edwina, Edina etc.

JenLindleyShitMom Thu 20-Oct-16 21:42:45

Those sound like the names for the new generation of bratz dolls. With the exception of Lily which falls under the same umbrella as grace- massively overused.

TravelBeginsAtForty Thu 20-Oct-16 21:45:39

I like Madison.

Dot/Dotty is fab as a nickname for Dorothy.

Teddy, again fab nickname for Edward.

I like Jamie as a nickname for James.

Also like old fashioned names like Florence (Flo), Katherine (Kitty/Katy), Eleanor, Meredith (Merry) and Harriette (Hatty/Hetty).

RiverTam Thu 20-Oct-16 21:45:51

They're not my kind of names but apart from Ivory (dead elephants) I think you could go for any of them.

I agree that Riley is a similar style name that I prefer. I also like Harper, River, Summer, Willow.

TravelBeginsAtForty Thu 20-Oct-16 21:46:16

Oh and how about Lily-Mae?

chattygranny Thu 20-Oct-16 21:55:25

I like Lily.

MoonlightMojitos Thu 20-Oct-16 22:12:46

Lily is nice, dottie is cute although I wouldn't use it. Hate the others!

SorenaJ Thu 20-Oct-16 22:21:20

I like Madison and Lily

spankhurst Thu 20-Oct-16 22:23:42

I only like Lily. The rest seem arch or overly cute.

Ollycat Thu 20-Oct-16 22:30:25

Lily is lovely.

Bayleigh - not keen on funny spellings (and I keep reading it as bay leaf - sorry)

Teddie and Dottie sound like pets names - sorry! (Also I'm not keen on the ie spelling)
Ivory - sorry like others I get the dead elephants thing.

Personally I prefer traditional names with ordinary spellings but names are a very individual thing - sorry.

ThoraGruntwhistle Thu 20-Oct-16 22:39:25

Lily and Madison are nice. I don't really like the rest though.

LucyFuckingPevensie Thu 20-Oct-16 22:49:04

I don't really like those names tbh, there's nothing wrong with them, they're just not to my taste.
I prefer Madeline to Madison and quite like Teddie as a nn. lily is nice, Ivory and Dottie I don't really like at all.
I like names like Phoebe, India, Melody <wracks brains for list of imaginary dd names) and Faye, I love Faye. No one on here ever seems to like it though. Not that I will ever get the chance to use it.
No matter what you call your child there will always be someone who doesn't like their name.

DailyMailPenisPieces Thu 20-Oct-16 22:53:11

Hang on, isn't OP saying that she doesn't like these names, and asking people who also hate the names to suggest some that they do like? think she is trying to weed out the wheat from the chaff

YoScienceBitch Thu 20-Oct-16 22:55:29

My names Baileigh blush

Pluto30 Thu 20-Oct-16 22:56:55

DailyMail You could be right. I've just read the OP again. Very confusing, haha.

SansasEscape Thu 20-Oct-16 23:00:27

Not a fan of any. I think they are too trendy, too obviously 'of the time'.

My favourite names are Vera, Colin, Clement, June and Sorrel.

hoddtastic Thu 20-Oct-16 23:02:42

mainly awful.
lily's ubiquitous but not bad.
bayleigh/madison are a bit chav declasse
ivory is hideous (ivy and Vivienne/valerie if you like the sound?)
teddie and dottie are both shortenings for theodora or dorothy/dorothea which are much much better.

LucyFuckingPevensie Thu 20-Oct-16 23:14:42

Oh, I thought the op was saying she like those names and wanted to know what people like if they don't like her list.

DailyMailPenisPieces Fri 21-Oct-16 01:12:45

No Lucy - I think she's trying to say, 'if you're not a pleb, what names do you like?'. hmm

roommy Fri 21-Oct-16 01:21:17

No... I was saying that I like those names! But what I meant was, if you like Persephone, we would probably be at the opposite ends of what we like, so you'd never like my choices anyway, where as if there was someone who liked them and then suggested some, it would be on the basis that they're nicer? It was just to give me more options smile

LucyFuckingPevensie Fri 21-Oct-16 06:27:02

Oh. grin sorry. I completely got the wrong end of the stick.

Coey2016 Fri 21-Oct-16 06:31:56

I like Madison and Lily a lot.

I know a Lily with a sister called Amy and another with a sister called Daisy.

I know a Madison with a sister called Alexia.

NavyandWhite Fri 21-Oct-16 10:52:24

From your list Lily is nice.

What about Madeleine instead of Madison?

lljkk Fri 21-Oct-16 11:10:22

I dislike most the names in OP. They are fluffy & wimpy in my mind.
I have conservative tastes so I like traditional (sounding) names w/ lots of trad. nicknames, like Daniel, Samuel, Catherine, etc. I prefer hints of "strong" in the names, so I wouldn't go for Persephone or Dorothy, either... actually, Madison works 4 me.

I'm a huge believer in just go 4 what U like, though, & damn any critics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now