Orla or Rose

(38 Posts)
ineedbanoffee Thu 20-Oct-16 12:36:48

I always loved Orla - DH didn't. He liked Rose. I grew to love it.

Now he has done a U-turn on Orla, and we've tentatively named DD3 (due in a few weeks) Orla Florence. I'm not 100% sure about Florence but I think it works well.

But DDs, totally of their own accord, keep saying we should call the baby 'Rose'. They have no idea about any of the names we have considered. It is making me reconsider the name! Not sure what the middle name would be.

NOT Orla Rose (which is pretty - but we have a good friend with a DD called a very very similar thing - first name begins with 'I' and is v close to Orla, and middle name is Rose - I think it would be weird).

Thoughts?

LolaStarr Thu 20-Oct-16 12:40:09

I think they're both absolutely beautiful names. I think I prefer Rose (only slightly though!)

TeaPleaseLouise Thu 20-Oct-16 12:40:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SorenaJ Thu 20-Oct-16 12:41:03

Rose is such a lovely name! I'd go with Rose. Really, really dislike Orla.

Chinlo Thu 20-Oct-16 12:41:53

Orla is much nicer

WaitrosePigeon Thu 20-Oct-16 12:42:31

Both very nice!

PotatoBread Thu 20-Oct-16 12:50:28

Rose is lovely. Not overly keen on Orla/Orlaith

ageingrunner Thu 20-Oct-16 12:53:55

I prefer Rose. It's a lovely name. I'm not that keen on Orla.

ineedbanoffee Thu 20-Oct-16 12:54:06

Was also not keen on Rose as a middle name because of the 'filler' thing. But starting to think, sod it - these are my two favourite girls' names and she'll be our last child, so may as well use them together ...

plimsolls Thu 20-Oct-16 13:00:44

Rose is such a beautiful, elegant and lovely name and suits a person of any age. If I didn't have a close relative named Rose it would have been a strong contender for my daughter's name.

Orla is a pretty name too but I think Rose is more timeless and probably more unusual nowadays. I know Rose is a common middle name but I don't think it's used often as a first name.

PotatoBread Thu 20-Oct-16 13:02:04

YY agree - totally overused as a 'filler' middle name but rarely used as a first name nowadays. Love it as a first name.

ineedbanoffee Thu 20-Oct-16 13:14:17

What I mean is, perhaps sod the 'Rose is a filler middle name' thing and just go with Orla Rose, as I love both those names and they sound pretty together and I won't get a chance to use either of them again.

Still slightly worried about appearing creepy and weird to my friend though (her DD is Isla Rose. We see her at least once a week ...)

FuckThatToOneSide Thu 20-Oct-16 13:27:25

I prefer Rose.

PotatoBread Thu 20-Oct-16 13:28:50

Do you like it the other way round OP - Rose Orla?

ineedbanoffee Thu 20-Oct-16 13:31:02

I think Rose Orla sounds like one word and doesn't flow as well ...

Not sure I like any of the variants on Rose ...

ineedbanoffee Thu 20-Oct-16 13:52:51

(Rozorla)

Sgoinneal Thu 20-Oct-16 18:07:31

Love Orla. Think Orla Rose is fine and Rose is a common nickname so your friend can't be too surprised at others using it. I prefer Orla Florence myself, it's got a nice sound.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 20-Oct-16 19:04:59

OP, Orla Rose is beautiful, go with it, you'll all be happy !
Yes, Isla Rose is similar, but ultimately, Rose, for both of them, will be a filler name.
They will be known foremost as Orla and Isla. Just do it!

Sophronia Thu 20-Oct-16 20:33:15

Orla is very 'now' and I think it will be the new Isla. I prefer Rose.

FinallyARainbow Thu 20-Oct-16 20:35:49

Love Orla, was top of our list for a girl.

Whooptydoo1 Thu 20-Oct-16 20:37:15

I love orla, what about rosa?

firawla Thu 20-Oct-16 21:13:34

I would go with Orla Rose. since rose is a popular middle name I don't think it should be too much of an issue with the friends dd Isla rose

MoonlightMojitos Thu 20-Oct-16 22:16:15

Rose is lovely and tradtional, I didn't realise Orla was becoming popular thought it counted very unusual! I personally love floral names though... Rose, Lily, Violet, Ivy smile. You don't like Rosie instead as a middle name if you're worried about the similarity?

MoonlightMojitos Thu 20-Oct-16 22:16:43

Saying that Orla Rosie doesn't go... scrap that!

MotherDuckSaid Thu 20-Oct-16 22:38:11

I Love Rose and Rosa 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now