I think our daughter is going to be nameless forever... We don't like anything... She is 2 weeks :(

(49 Posts)
dippypip Mon 17-Oct-16 21:21:03

DD is 2 weeks old. Our surname is double-barrelled. One is with an S and one is with a T.

I like Scarlet, but I'm not keen on having Scarlet S-T... DP says that her initials can't be SS, so he doesn't like it.

I also like Violet, but my DP seems to be incapable of pronouncing it so he hates that too.

He likes Ruby, but I don't.

We both like Roseanna, but he doesn't like 2 names together, but would agree to Rose-Anna, but 1) I don't want her to have a double-barrelled 1st name 2) everyone will assume it's 1 name. I don't like just Rose or just Anna.

However, he therefore vetoes names like:
Annabelle
Evelyn
(Just to give you an example of 2 names together)

It's impossible sad

ImperialBlether Mon 17-Oct-16 21:23:18

Would you consider a shorter first name, given she'll have a double-barrelled surname?

NoCapes Mon 17-Oct-16 21:24:58

I like Scarlet & Violet (had them both on my lists with various DC)
Few more suggestions -
Amber
Cora
Lydia
Verity
Margot
?

Congratulations by the way flowers

NerrSnerr Mon 17-Oct-16 21:27:10

We liked
Emma
Jessica
Jennifer
Alexa
Sophie
Harriett

Sgoinneal Mon 17-Oct-16 21:27:46

Okay so what about

Susannah (not technically two together!)
Rosalie/Rosaline
Johanna
Marina
Rhiannon
Rose
Primrose
Anna

You also seem to like colour names (Scarlet, Ruby, Violet, Rose) smile so maybe Jade or something similar?

Laineymc7 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:27:52

What about
Cara
Evie
Eliza
Una
Quinn
Josie
Rosie
Zara

Muser54321 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:27:54

What about Juliet?

If you like Violet and Scarlet would you like Juliet.

I like Annabel but Roseanna is a bit saccharine. What about Rosemary?

jesstar Mon 17-Oct-16 21:29:44

Congratulations!

Pippa?

BastardBernie Mon 17-Oct-16 21:32:46

Jasmine
Margot
Hazel
Amber
Saskia
Freya
Milly
Emily
Zara
Samantha
Penelope
Darcy
Lucy
Autumn
Yasmin
Frances
Olivia
Abbie
Shannon
Amy

OurMiracle1106 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:38:11

Grace
Aaliyah
Mia
Chelsea
Carrie

DramaAlpaca Mon 17-Oct-16 21:38:19

If you changed the spelling of Roseanna to Rosanna, it might look less like two names joined together. Just a thought.

NameChange30 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:40:06

Sounds like your DP is being difficult and vetoing a lot of options, so you should just pick and name and register the birth without him wink

<Not helpful>
<Only half joking>

Seriously, he needs to be more flexible. You both need to compromise on something.

I really don't get the "two names together" thing; all the names you list are names in their own right. For example, if you spelt Roseanna without the e (Rosanna) it would look more like one name instead of two - would he like that? If not, how about Rose or Rosa?

NameChange30 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:41:25

Drama Cross post!

LucyFuckingPevensie Mon 17-Oct-16 21:41:51

I used the site nameberry when I was upduffed, i found it quite handy because it gives you lots of "If you like this you might like" suggestions.
I like both Scarlet and Violet and also like
India
Phoebe
Beatrice
Bethany
Claudia
Melody
Jasmine
Willow
Willa

Congratulations btw smile

228agreenend Mon 17-Oct-16 21:42:20

Rosemary or Rosamund instead of Roseanna

Felicity
Harriet
Annabelle
Gemma
Emily
Christina

footballwidow12 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:44:42

I remember this problem all too well......I knew I was having a girl and just couldn't decide.

We ended up with Thea but
my alternative was Erin / Eryn

We love Evelyn but couldn't agree on how to pronounce it!! grin

I also love;

Fearne
Georgia
Josie

Good luck OP - I'm sure you will find a name you both love very soon

hgleslie89 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:47:43

DD (12 weeks) is Beatrice, goes by Bea. I'm a Harriet, so reckon that's a good choice wink
How about Freya or Eleanor?

Mamushka Mon 17-Oct-16 22:02:01

Maybe stop overthinking it... it's okay to pick one you only kind of like. It doesn't have to be the ultimate, amazing, perfect, wonderful name that you both adore. It can just be a name that you both don't mind. A name that is nice, okay, pretty, don't hate it, nothing special, nice enough, sweet, not bad, etc... Just pick one, register the birth, and don't look back.

Because once that is your child's name, she will become the name, and the name will become her, and you'll never think "yuk I hate that name", or "the initials sound weird" or anything else, because after a while you'll just associate that name with your beautiful baby daughter.

Another way to think about it - when you fall in love with someone, you don't fall in love with their name, you fall in love with the person, and the name is just a label. Let's say my husband's name is Greg and I once knew an absolute asshole named Greg, and before I met my husband I always hated the name. Once I met my husband and fell in love with him, all negative connotations just dropped away - now I think that name is just fine, it's just him, the man I love! That's the same thing that will happen after you name your baby and get to know her, except with a child you actually do get some say in what the name will be smile

Seriously, just pick one you both don't hate. smile

Sophronia Mon 17-Oct-16 22:03:33

Rosa or Rosalie?

NorahBhone Mon 17-Oct-16 22:06:15

What about Arabella, Isabella, Lucinda?

DramaAlpaca Mon 17-Oct-16 22:08:51

Great minds NameChange30! grin

dippypip Mon 17-Oct-16 22:09:23

Thank you all, lots of lovely suggestions smile will run them past DP!

Yika Mon 17-Oct-16 22:18:32

I actually like Rose-Anna, it makes quite two quite common names into something more unusual.

However:
- Rosalind
- Rosamund
- Roxana
- Rowan
- Maria
- Josephine?

user1474320794 Mon 17-Oct-16 22:18:50

Ivy Olivia
Beatrix
Delilah
Lola
Summer
Willow

user1474320794 Mon 17-Oct-16 22:21:24

Sophia
Leila
Harper
Esmae

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now