Milena or Alys/Alice

(43 Posts)
TheCaptainsCat Wed 12-Oct-16 19:30:55

Which one do you prefer and why?

Which ones do you not like and why?

Pickled0nions Wed 12-Oct-16 19:32:00

Milena is pretty.

But probably because I chose Mila for mine, I think Mila is meant to be a nickname for Milena.

Afterthestorm Wed 12-Oct-16 19:32:06

Instantly thought of Mirena coil, sorry.

Bountybarsyuk Wed 12-Oct-16 19:32:10

I prefer Alice, lovely classic name. I know a Milena, it's quite a common name in other countries, I don't hate it but it's not as pretty as other names IMO.

Bountybarsyuk Wed 12-Oct-16 19:32:38

I also know quite a few Milas, so if that's the shorter version, I prefer that!

BlossomCat Wed 12-Oct-16 19:34:35

Milena sounds like the coil, or malaena, a not very pleasant blood filled poo. Sorry!
I love both spellings of Alice, though

Meeep Wed 12-Oct-16 19:34:42

Milena made me think of Mirena too I'm afraid.
I don't like Alys.

JasperDamerel Wed 12-Oct-16 19:37:21

I love Alys.

I don't think that Milena works terribly well in English because of the Mirena/malaena similarities.

soundsystem Wed 12-Oct-16 19:46:18

I love Alys. DD was called Alys for a couple of weeks, right up until we went to register, then we changed our minds. One consideration is that people will default to Alice and she'll have to keep explaining (unless you're in Wales?).

I like Alice as well but it is popular if that's an issue.

My as keen on Milena, although I'm not sure why. Good nickname potential, though (Lena, Mila, Mia, Millie)

DorcasthePuffin Wed 12-Oct-16 19:49:21

I love Milena, because of this amazing woman: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milena_Jesensk%C3%A1

BellMcEnd Wed 12-Oct-16 19:52:46

Mila / Milla is lovely

Milena - I'm sorry, just makes me think of malaena which is not a good thing.

Alice is beautiful

SquedgieBeckenheim Wed 12-Oct-16 19:52:53

How are you pronouncing Milena? I read it as Mil-Ena. Therefore it makes me think of melaena - as a PP said, its a bloody stool!

Alys/Alice are nice.

TheCaptainsCat Wed 12-Oct-16 19:55:05

Hmmm, interesting about the poo association, I didn't know about that! It is correctly pronounced Me - Len - A, with the A quite strongly pronounced like the A in cat. It is a beautiful name when my Polish DH says it, but has potential to be butchered by English speakers I guess.

DavidPuddy Wed 12-Oct-16 19:59:48

I love Milena because I live my friend Milena. She has Mimi as a nickname. So much nicer than boring old stodgy Alice.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 12-Oct-16 20:05:13

I like Alice, classy, timeless.
Milena, Mirena coil.

dailymaillazyjournos Wed 12-Oct-16 20:05:46

I love Milena. The one I know is pronounced with a short I sound MI LAY NA

LetsJunglyJumpToIt Wed 12-Oct-16 20:09:14

Milena just remind me of Melaena.

BackforGood Wed 12-Oct-16 20:13:17

Another whose first thought was the coil -sorry! I checked and realised it was a different word, but that was just what popped into my head.

Unless in deepest Welsh speaking Wales, I'd go for Alice, as that's what 99% of English speaking people will automatically spell it as, I'd have thought.

peponi Wed 12-Oct-16 20:14:29

No milena as it is pronounced the same as melaena the mesdix am term for poo that is mixed with altered digested blood. It really stinks and makes me heave just thinking about it. Sorry.

peponi Wed 12-Oct-16 20:15:18

Sorry phone typos!
not milena
the medical term

Crunchymum Wed 12-Oct-16 21:31:32

I know a Melina... unusual but not too wild?

HoratioNightboy Wed 12-Oct-16 22:10:40

I have a lovely Polish friend Milena, and have never heard of Mirena or malaena (I don't lead a sheltered life, honest), so never made that association. However I'm not that wild on the name, so I'd pick Alys as I like Welsh names.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Wed 12-Oct-16 22:14:09

I'm a nurse and Melina sounds like poo with blood in it - sorry.

Alice or even Alicia (pronounced A-liss-c-a) is lovely with no poo associations grin

cricketqueen Wed 12-Oct-16 22:19:21

I have an Alys so obviously I love that name. I have found that a lot of my family struggle with the spelling ( i am english but we live in wales). I think milena could be a lovely name if people get it right but it might get lost in translation a bit as it were.

JustWantToBeDorisAgain Wed 12-Oct-16 22:31:18

Nurse here and just thought uggghhh bloody poo.

( I am biased though I have a dd with Alys as a middle name )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now