Opinions on Katherine?

(56 Posts)
TriangleShape Wed 05-Oct-16 13:33:12

We have a Theodore, who goes by Teddy.

We like Katherine, with the NN Katie.

Does it 'go'?

General opinions on Katherine? smile

Meowlster Wed 05-Oct-16 13:34:27

Yes, it goes. I love the two names together, and Katherine in general.

Usernamer Wed 05-Oct-16 13:40:26

I like Katherine but prefer the nn Kitty/Kit or Kate. For some reason, Katie feels dated to me.

TriangleShape Wed 05-Oct-16 13:43:29

We like Kit/Kitty, but think it's probably too much with Ted/Teddy grin

Pipilangstrumpf Wed 05-Oct-16 13:56:38

What I don't like about the name is the need to spell it out constantly as there are so many variations- Catherine, Catharine, Kathryn, Katharine, Katherine....

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Wed 05-Oct-16 13:59:02

I have a sister called Katherine. She calls herself Kate or Katie. I think Katie is probably a bit dated for an adult now, but she - as she says - missed the boat to change herself to a cool "Cat" or similar at university ;).

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Wed 05-Oct-16 13:59:20

Anyway, I love the name!

Namesnamenames Wed 05-Oct-16 14:02:16

I have a Theodore & Catherine - I think they go really well together smile

Lupinlady5 Wed 05-Oct-16 14:10:15

Beautiful

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Wed 05-Oct-16 14:10:55

I love the name Katherine. If we'd had a second girl that would have been her name. As we didn't, we never got to the tricky decision of which spelling to use - it would have been between Katherine and Katharine. As others have said, the fact that there are several common variant spelling is a fly in the ointment.

I'm not a great nickname person but if we had had a Katherine, I think she might have become a Kate. Definitely not Kitty, Katie or Katy - I find all of those a bit girly for my taste. Kat/Cat not an option that had occurred to me back then but I like them.

And finally - I think Teddy and Kate go well. Teddy and Katie OK but the two -ie/y sounds together jar a little to my ear. Theo and Kate/Katie would have worked better. Will Teddy become Ted as he gets older?

DramaAlpaca Wed 05-Oct-16 14:12:04

Love it.

HelloSunshine11 Wed 05-Oct-16 14:14:43

I think children with ie / y ending names or nicknames gradually drop them as they get older anyway. We have both the above names in our family and they've become Kate and Ted as they grow up after being Katie and Teddy as children.

Both great names IMO!

TriangleShape Wed 05-Oct-16 14:16:40

Thanks everyone!

He goes by Ted and Teddy, so Katie will be Kate/Katie too, I assume.

Cuppaand2biscuits Wed 05-Oct-16 14:17:11

I love it. I know 2 children called Katie and Kathryn. Personally, I'd go for Katherine and assume that if I said Katherine with a K people would know I meant that way! As a teenager she will love having the freedom of having all those different spellings to choose from for fun!

NobleKnickerNibbler Wed 05-Oct-16 14:19:38

Katherine is lovely. I don't like Katie though. I prefer Kate, Kat, Kit, Kathy. Anything but Katie basically.

TempsPerdu Wed 05-Oct-16 17:20:18

I think it's a great name - classic, timeless and actually not that common at the moment. I also like this spelling best out of all the possible versions. I'd probably go for Kate or Kit as nicknames over Katie though - they seem stronger and less dated somehow.

BertrandRussell Wed 05-Oct-16 17:23:21

I love Katherine- but Kate's nicer than Katie, IMHO.

Theo and Kate. Lovely.

Gazelda Wed 05-Oct-16 17:26:00

It's my favourite name. And my favourite spelling too!

Arcadia Wed 05-Oct-16 17:35:37

Great that people like this, my name with my spelling! I have always been a Kath or a Kathy, I have never liked Kate/Katie.

CPtart Wed 05-Oct-16 17:38:09

I love it with a C, Catherine in its enterity. Not a fan of of overthought nn.

firawla Wed 05-Oct-16 17:46:23

They go together perfectly - I like it

CandyMcJingles Wed 05-Oct-16 17:47:23

I prefer Kathleen.

Graceflorrick Wed 05-Oct-16 17:49:15

Absolutely beautiful flowers

JustGettingStarted Wed 05-Oct-16 18:19:03

I'm a Katherine and I love my name. You can be anything you want from a Kathy to a Kitty to a Kate. It never goes out of fashion.

MrsMushrooms Wed 05-Oct-16 18:23:58

It goes and it's a beautiful name! We wanted to use it but couldn't as DH's mum is Cathrine so it would have wound my mum up (plus, we met a Katherine we reeaallllyyy didn't like so we went off it for a bit, haha!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now