Spanish names which work in the UK too

(17 Posts)
goldleaf123 Fri 23-Sep-16 10:03:18

I'm currently 20w pregnant with DC1. My partner is from Latin America (Spanish speaking) and I am English. I would like to choose a name which fits both cultures, but still definitely of Spanish/Latin origin. Our surename is very Spanish (two surenames, both two syllables each and the first one ends in a a, so popular names like Luna would sound a bit silly)

Sophronia Fri 23-Sep-16 10:43:22

Hugo
Daniel
Mario
Diego
Lucas
Leo
Mateo
Rubén
Rafael
Alberto
Emilio
Nico
Sebastian

Carmen
Ines
Isabel
Sofia
Alba
Marina
Anabel
Ariana
Elena
Lidia
Luisa
Ramona
Raquel
Rosa

ayeokthen Fri 23-Sep-16 10:45:18

I love Rafael! I'm 1/2 Spanish and would have loved to have used it, but bottled out. For a girl I'd have loved Marisol.

danTDM Fri 23-Sep-16 10:53:42

In DD's class (in Spain) we have
Mar x2, Valerie, Alba, Maria, Ana, Aitana (v.popular at moment)
Borja, Gonzalo, Salva, Josep, Eduardo (Edu)

Marisol is v. old fashioned.
Rafa is cool!
Luisa very common as is Marisa for teenaged girls.

Vincent is every other boy over 30! Maria every woman over 40. Maria something. (Jesus, Jose etc)

chinlo Fri 23-Sep-16 11:05:57

To be honest, most Spanish names work in England. It'd be easier to just make a list of the ones you like, then discount the ones with considerably different pronunciations (Daniel, David, Laura, anything beginning with J, etc). Unless of course you don't mind the two families pronouncing it differently.

This site: www.studentsoftheworld.info/penpals/stats.php3?Pays=COL is quite good for getting top 100s from different countries.

Ouch44 Fri 23-Sep-16 11:13:19

I have a Spanish surname and my DD is Mia. There is a girl at her school with a double barrelled name called Sofia. Lovely name.

danTDM Fri 23-Sep-16 12:00:22

Mia is lovely, as is Sofia!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 23-Sep-16 12:15:25

Maria
Gabriella
Christina

MrsCaecilius Fri 23-Sep-16 12:33:41

I know a Nico, Sofia, Alicia, Maria, Isabelle that are all Spanish, but work really well in English.

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 23-Sep-16 12:43:49

I think your no ending in "a" is a pretty difficult task as the majority of latin type names seem to end in an "a". I'm sure that a lot of surnames do to so it clearly doesn't seem to be a common issue for people smile

Lots of good suggestions already - but most ending in "a" grin

carrotcakecupcake Fri 23-Sep-16 13:06:19

I went to school with a girl called Rocio (pronounced Ro-thee-o) which I always though was pretty and unusual, and while we probably weren't pronouncing the "c" as nicely as a native speaker, it was quite easy for schoolchildren to say!

chinlo Fri 23-Sep-16 13:29:42

I don't think both names ending in "a" is a problem at all tbh.

Overthinker2016 Fri 23-Sep-16 18:29:00

Manolo

GruffaloPants Fri 23-Sep-16 18:45:55

Love Rafael/Rafa.

Carmen is lovely. Rosario is also nice.

GoNorthDarren Fri 23-Sep-16 21:09:58

Leonor for a girl, Victor / Rafael for a boy.

newtothenet Fri 23-Sep-16 21:12:23

Diego. My most favourite ever name!!

Dizzydodo Sun 25-Sep-16 18:21:42

Jaime?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now