Torin?

(15 Posts)
Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 14:54:18

Seems to becoming quite popular on here! Does anyone know one?! I've read that it has Irish and Scottish heritage. Love the nn Tor also. Just worried it sounds a bit made up???

MidnightVelvettheSixth Wed 21-Sep-16 14:59:08

Never heard of it, is it make or female or either?

Is it pronounced Torrin or Toe rin?

Sounds very Tolkein, but that's a good thing (to me anyway)

Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 15:08:13

I think it's toe rin. Yes- I love the Tolkien vibe also! It's masculine

Pipilangstrumpf Wed 21-Sep-16 15:09:07

I like Torin and know one. Sounds solid and cool imo. Easy to spell and pronounce (Tor-in). I like Tor as a nickname too.

TheNaze73 Wed 21-Sep-16 15:09:19

I know a Torin & he's a top bloke

CuriousCourgette Wed 21-Sep-16 15:10:05

I know and Australian Torin, I always thought it was a great name and he's a top bloke.

breakfastnotattiffanys Wed 21-Sep-16 15:10:55

Know a Torin aged 8 pronounced to rhyme with foreign! Irish descent

Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 15:23:10

Ah- heartening there are a few around. I am of Irish extraction and none of my friends or family have ever heard it before!

Ontopofthesunset Wed 21-Sep-16 15:25:22

The only one I know of is Torin Douglas who the BBC's Media Correspondent for years.

lilypond1 Wed 21-Sep-16 15:40:05

I know an American Torin, lovely little fella

TempsPerdu Wed 21-Sep-16 15:43:44

It is a bit Tolkein-y but in a good way! Also makes me think of Torin Douglas from the BBC. It's a bit unusual without being too outlandish- easy to pronounce and spell and imo not at all made-up sounding. Really like it.

GoldenWondering Wed 21-Sep-16 15:52:26

It would be spelled Torrin, after the place, where I live.

RiverTam Wed 21-Sep-16 15:55:19

To me it sounds like an Irish Tolkien fan saying Thorin, which is not to say that that's a bad thing!

I like it, and I think it's better than Thorin. I do know of a Thorin, very cute and nothing like an irracible dwarf warlord.

Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 16:27:30

Oh gosh that's hilarious! I've had to rule out Theo for that reason grin

soundsystem Thu 22-Sep-16 05:50:04

Yep I know a little one (Scottish) and it's on our list for this baby (we're also Scottish). Pronounced to rhyme with foreign as a PP said. I like it as it's fairly unusual but easy to spell/pronounce.

There's also a Lamaze soft buggy book that features Torin the T-Rex grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now