British, Irish, Italian baby!

(61 Posts)
Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 14:07:55

Due in a few weeks and still can't decide on baby names!!! DP is English and I am Irish. We currently live in Italy so could get away with a British, Irish or even Italian name. Quite happy with my girl choices but I think a lot of the boys names are dreadful (DPs choice- he's much more posh than me!!!!) Please could you give me your honest opinion on these and feel free to offer any alternatives! I should add that we will probably move back to the UK next year, so don't want anything that would be difficult to pronounce or spell! Also, we are double barrelled. The first surname starts with S and is a very old, aristocratic name. Maybe rules out S first names?!

Magnus
Hector
Rafe
Rory /Ruairidh
Gabriel
Dominic
Sebastian
Torin

Alessia
Francesca
Saoirse
Freya
Aoife
Roisin

Elephantsaremygods Wed 21-Sep-16 14:10:04

I'm with you on the boys names - v v poncey (for my taste) except for Gabriel, Dominic and Rory

Will you struggle with Irish spellings in Italy?

Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 14:12:09

Thanks for your honesty elephants!! I quite like Dominic as well! I don't think it's going to be an issue really- looks like we are moving back to UK early summer next year!

Rinceoir Wed 21-Sep-16 14:17:51

Don't think you'll struggle with Irish spellings more in Italy than England! I like Dominic actually and Ruairí/Ruaidhrí. Róisín is lovely and could be abbreviated to Rosie which is fairly universal. Francesca is really nice too. I love Saoirse but don't know if it would go with an S surname.

TeaPleaseLouise Wed 21-Sep-16 14:19:30

Nicholas or Nicolas? If your husband is posh though I'm not sure if that'll fly...
Cillian?

I like Dominic too.

Elephantsaremygods Wed 21-Sep-16 14:20:23

I like all your girls' names smile

Arborea Wed 21-Sep-16 14:24:35

I love Italian names, so in your shoes don't think I could resist having the perfect excuse to use a proper Italian name, particularly one that can be Anglicised.

The ones that spring to mind are:

Massimo
Paolo
Lorenzo
Stefano

Chiara
Paolo
Elettra
Flavia

To name a few!

Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 14:30:01

Hi Tea,
I like Nicolas- and love Nico! Teach several of them here in Italy!
Arborea- you're dead right! It's a great excuse to use an Itslian name. Unfortunately, DP hates Luca and Matteo which are my faves!
Are all men more obsessed about boys names than girls? Haha!!

albertcampionscat Wed 21-Sep-16 14:36:58

Well, the top 100 boys names in Italy include Alex and Max as well as Leo - or did last time I looked. And it's not (all) anglophilia - they're traditional shortenings for Alessandro and Massimo. Another option could be Walter? Walter Zenga (footballer), Veltroni (Mayor of Rome) Chiari (actor).

Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 14:42:37

Hi Albert,
I have taught in London private schools so unfortunately I am a bit bored with Oliver, Leo, Max, Alex, Oscar, Edward etc! Peril of the job!! Walter is cool though- it goes quite well with our surname!

albertcampionscat Wed 21-Sep-16 14:53:37

Fair enough. Personally I love Walt/Walter but it's a bit marmite.

OlennasWimple Wed 21-Sep-16 14:56:05

Irish Catholic or Irish Protestant?

hollyisalovelyname Wed 21-Sep-16 14:56:57

Rory
Dominic

chinlo Wed 21-Sep-16 15:01:37

I like Hector, Dominic and Alessia

Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 15:01:53

Olennas,
Actually a mixture of Catholic and Protestant!

VioletBam Wed 21-Sep-16 15:03:21

Love Torin and Roisin

Aidan (St A of Lindisfarne so English connection too)

Sgtmajormummy Wed 21-Sep-16 15:04:21

I nearly went for Giulia/Julia with DD. Sounds the same in English and Italian.
Cara is a fun play on names. It's "friend" in Irish, "dear" in Italian and just a nice name in English.

I like Samuel(e) for a boy...

BUT that boat has sailed!

Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 15:05:04

Freebuttonbee,
A great idea but my first name sounds exactly like that! grin

IDreamOfPeace Wed 21-Sep-16 15:05:21

I personally love Rory and Saoirse, but worry Saoirse would be mispronounced by everyone she ever encountered who wasn't familiar with Irish names.

I wrote Saoirse on a piece of paper and showed it to my DH as a potential girls name for our baby. He looked very puzzled and said "You can't seriously want to call her 'swarse'?" lol! I tried to tell him it was pronounced 'seer-sha' but he was having none of it! grin

Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 15:06:09

Cara is a great idea! It's also a well known brand of matches in Ireland grin

Sgtmajormummy Wed 21-Sep-16 15:07:30

You're right! That's one of the main reasons for us not using it!

GoNorthDarren Wed 21-Sep-16 15:10:17

Weirdly I like your boy names better that the girls tbh.

Rory, Sebastian and Dominic are lovely and I wouldn't call any of them posh really.

I like Francesca but don't really like any of the others. I don't strongly dislike any of them though. Aoife is quite nice as well buy it is quite well used among people I know and then there are a lot of Evies and Avas where I live too (though maybe not in Italy)?

Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 15:14:23

Haha idream!! I think my DD would never forgive me if I gave her that name- how annoying would it be constantly spelling it!!

Stilldreamingofsun Wed 21-Sep-16 15:20:56

Agree- soo many Eva and Ava's around and Aoife sounds very similar!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now