Alistair and Johnny

(23 Posts)
Greedysquirrels Tue 20-Sep-16 10:10:37

It could be my hormones but the amazing Brownlee brothers' recent antics have made me consider Alistair or Johnny as a possible boys name for DC3, due in a few months. DH has been keen on Alistair for quite a while but it feels a bit 'square' to me and I'm not too keen on Ali as a nn. Any thoughts very welcome!

everdene Tue 20-Sep-16 10:14:45

I LOVE Johnny, I think it's really sweet and suits all ages, he can be Jonathan or John at work if he wants to be a judge or something series.

Love Alistair too but I know my brother also likes it and it is too similar to my name.

(Also love the Brownlees!)

Greedysquirrels Tue 20-Sep-16 10:17:56

Thanks everdene, think I might be a bit in love with Alistair Brownlee right now which is clouding my judgement. Just to give some context, the other name we're pretty sold on is Gregory which seems to divide opinions on here hmm

JaneA1 Tue 20-Sep-16 10:36:15

Nickname for Alistair could be just Al. But Johnny works too, it is quite flexible of a name.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 20-Sep-16 18:06:40

I like Gregory, Greg is cool !

MarklahMarklah Tue 20-Sep-16 18:12:33

At the risk of derision, I prefer John/Jon or Jonathan as a given name, with Johnny as a nn. Saying this simply because I know a person with Bill* as given name, who hates it. He can't shorten it to anything, and has no 'official' option of a longer name or alternative. He now asks to be called William and is in the process of changing it officially.

*Not his real name, but along those lines

MarklahMarklah Tue 20-Sep-16 18:13:17

I like Alistair! There are a few variants of spelling, I think?

OnionRings16 Tue 20-Sep-16 18:32:35

I prefer Johnny smile

GoNorthDarren Tue 20-Sep-16 19:13:44

I don't really like the name Alistair, but Johnny is nice. As for naming a child after an Olympian in an Olympic year, if you don't really like the name anyway I wouldn't.

Famalam13 Tue 20-Sep-16 19:26:14

Ha I have an Alastair and have been considering a second DC so I can call him Jonathan grin

celtiethree Tue 20-Sep-16 21:29:20

I like Alistair, with nn Sandy. Just don't like Jonny/Johnny.

Mouseinahole Wed 21-Sep-16 07:39:53

Here Johnny means a condom so I wouldn't use that variant though I do like just John or Jonathan. Jonny Brownlee is Jonathan. I like Alistair.

malin100 Wed 21-Sep-16 07:42:30

^ this

GoNorthDarren Wed 21-Sep-16 09:07:34

Regardless of the condom thing, Jonathon is nicer than Johnny.

GoNorthDarren Wed 21-Sep-16 09:08:09

Jonathan even. Spelling fail.

Greedysquirrels Wed 21-Sep-16 20:11:53

I'm just not keen on Jonathan, just feels a bit too safe I guess and a bit out of date? I'm blaming my hormones for putting those two names briefly back on the agenda. DH seems fixed on Gregory. I'm inclined to let him go with it although hate the idea that people will think it's a weird name. Is it just plain wrong on a baby?

ButterflyOfFreedom Thu 22-Sep-16 08:29:31

Out of Alistair, Jonny & Gregory I'd go with Gregory. I actually prefer Gregor though.
I do like Jonathan but it would inevitably get shortened to Jonny which I'm not keen on (& has the condom connection).
Greg is a cool name!

GoNorthDarren Thu 22-Sep-16 09:50:01

My favourites in order would be:

1) Gregor (love this)! Could your DP be persuaded??
2) Jonathan
3) Gregory
4) Johnny
5) Alistair

chameleon43 Thu 22-Sep-16 11:08:46

Alistair has sooo many spelling variants that it might get annoying? Like it as a name though - would be unusual without being too far out?

The boys I know who are Johnny are called John rather than Jonathan.

Greg/Gregory also a great name.

they have a little brother Edward - also a strong boys' choice?

Greedysquirrels Thu 22-Sep-16 13:46:50

Chameleon definitely love Edward and this baby would have been called Edward had we not lost the last pregnant to Edward's Syndrome - just can't use the name now which is a real shame.

I think we'll stick to our guns with Gregory. I was struggling to think of other three-syllable names that don't feel like a mouthful on a baby but it occurred to me that nobody thinks Emily is a mouthful and that's three syllables. Can imagine him shortening to Greg when he's older but not liking the idea of a baby called Greg!

Greedysquirrels Thu 22-Sep-16 13:48:50

GoNorth I think Gregor is also pretty cool but we have a very Scottish sounding surname and it would sound a bit too much of a homage to some distant Scottish roots on DH's side I think!

DigUpTheRoad Thu 22-Sep-16 14:10:42

Johnny is a very cool name, love it. Jonathan is a strange one. Like Edwardathon or Jamesathon. I know it's a name in its own right but those extra letters just seem superfluous. It conjures up a much more staid person than Johnny somehow. Middle managers and civil servants.

Gregory is lovely too and very uncommon. Just be warned he won't be able to pronounce it for years!

Pisssssedofff Thu 22-Sep-16 21:38:36

I know a restaurantier called Johnny, definitely not a middle manager and a right prick called Alistair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now