Surprised by finding out we're having a boy, have no names at all!

(28 Posts)
GingerIdiot Sun 18-Sep-16 21:42:44

My OH and I discovered last week that we have are having a little boy (currently 22 weeks pregnant). We've had mixed reactions - delighted he is well and healthy at the scan, step into the unknown as all my baby experience with relatives etc is with girls, blah blah - ultimately we've now got our heads around it and are excited ... but we only had girls names ready! We spent ages talking about 'Maggie' before we found out the sex, but had no name ready for a boy. We have one possible contender (Albert) that we both come and go with. Has anyone else had a real mental stumbling block with boys names because they were so convinced they were having a girl - and does anyone have any good suggestions that aren't too 'top 10', would suit a baby, a boy, a teenager, and a man, and is perhaps a bit old fashioned?!

dlnex Sun 18-Sep-16 21:53:37

Congratulations. I was convinced DD was to be a boy baby, and had other way round problem.

William
Johnathon
Samuel
Mark
Christopher

beckslovestimmy Sun 18-Sep-16 21:58:47

It took is nearly 2 weeks to name DS as we thought we were having another girl. We had her name picked from early on. We went with Benjamin at the mo he gets called Benny but I think it works at any age/stage of life. I also really liked Samuel, Patrick and Alec but DH vetoed them.

ReadTheWholeFred Sun 18-Sep-16 22:00:59

I found boys names much harder than girls names. I don't think you can be as dating with boys names for some reason.

Albert is nice
Arthur
William
Frank
Wilfred

QueenLizIII Sun 18-Sep-16 22:26:18

does anyone have any good suggestions that aren't too 'top 10', would suit a baby, a boy, a teenager, and a man, and is perhaps a bit old fashioned?!

Robert.

A bit old fashioned. It is not popular at the moment.

Has plenty of NN potential. For a baby, Bobbie, Robbie, a teen Rob and in adulthood Rob or the full Robert.

cece Sun 18-Sep-16 22:29:27

Jonathan or John

NapQueen Sun 18-Sep-16 22:31:11

Lawrence
Peter
Christopher/kit

Quiltsalot Sun 18-Sep-16 22:32:29

Christopher
Peter
Mark
Joseph

DramaLlamaa Sun 18-Sep-16 22:33:07

David

ChiefClerkDrumknott Sun 18-Sep-16 22:36:39

Arthur

chinlo Sun 18-Sep-16 22:51:29

Michael
Stanley
Nathaniel
Dominic
Marcus
Jonathan
Asher
Solomon
Damian
Alexander
Christopher

Sophronia Mon 19-Sep-16 00:22:44

I like Albert

Arthur
Alfred
Andrew
Benedict
Clement
Charles
David
Dominic
Edward
Edmund
Edwin
Edgar
Ernest
Frederick
Frank
Francis
Gregory
Hector
Jonathan
Jeremy
Luke
Laurence
Leonard
Matthew
Mark
Marcus
Nicholas
Nathaniel
Patrick
Philip
Paul
Peter
Percy
Robert
Stephen
Thomas
Timothy
Vincent
William
Wilfred

LovelyBranches Mon 19-Sep-16 00:23:33

I live Albert and the non Albie. How about Arlo, Louis or Edward (Ted)?

AdaLovelacesCat Mon 19-Sep-16 00:47:56

Arthur

sorryoldwoman Mon 19-Sep-16 00:51:49

I like Brian and Steven

GingerIdiot Mon 19-Sep-16 10:59:54

This is brilliant - thank you all!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 19-Sep-16 11:05:19

John or Joseph

Pipilangstrumpf Mon 19-Sep-16 11:25:07

Albert is nice but Albie is quite cutesy/trendy and may start to sound dated. How about similar 'old fashioned' names:

Quentin
Clement
Victor

buckyou Mon 19-Sep-16 14:01:38

Weve got a pony called Albert. We've had him a few months now but I can never remember his name!

I like:
William
Alfred
Joseph

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 19-Sep-16 14:08:30

Adam
Daniel
Jamie

helensburgh Mon 19-Sep-16 14:16:24

Sullivan

MotherDuckSaid Mon 19-Sep-16 14:45:45

Will be following ur post with interest, as I'm in the exact same boat, looking for the same type of name, except in due in five weeks !! 😥

Laineymc7 Mon 19-Sep-16 15:01:06

I love names that never date such as
Ben
Matthew
Samuel
William
Oliver
They will always be fairly popular but not trending names.

septembersunshine Mon 19-Sep-16 19:23:27

We had this same problem! Had a girls name picked out (which i thought we had nailed) And then found out we were expecting a boy! That boy is three weeks old now and called Aidan. Took us months to come up with that! Thought we wanted to go all oldy worldy and classic (James, Albert, Frederick, Thomas, Oliver, jack, Isaac, William, Daniel and my fav harry) but in the end we went Irish! He really suits it. I think I am trying to say cast your net wider if you can't agree on anything and the right name will come along! Also try a site called British baby names. Full of lists of old fashioned and traditional James!

septembersunshine Mon 19-Sep-16 19:24:07

*names!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now