Finlo

(41 Posts)
chinlo Sat 17-Sep-16 13:45:50

Thoughts?

We like Finley nn Fin, but it's common. We like Arlo but a close friend just used it.... Hey, what about Finlo!

We live in a global world these days where the origin of a name is less important, so what do we think of this one?

SuburbanRhonda Sat 17-Sep-16 13:47:14

Sounds like a made-up name (which you've said it is!) for Duplo from Finland grin

FrancisCrawford Sat 17-Sep-16 13:49:04

Fine as a nickname, but it does sound like a product name, not a person name. Makes me think of a reduced fat product.

HandmaidsTail Sat 17-Sep-16 13:49:36

It sounds like the bastard child of Finlay and Arlo. Because it is. Nope.

MrsHulk Sat 17-Sep-16 13:50:04

I'd go with a real name, and have Finlo as a nickname. Otherwise I suspect they'll spend their lives answering questions about it

Eg you could name him Finney Logan...

MoosLikeJagger Sat 17-Sep-16 13:51:03

If you name your son Finlo you will have something in common with Jeremy Clarkson.

MrsHulk Sat 17-Sep-16 13:51:04

Woooah I take it back! Spellcheck didn't try to correct Finlo so I googled it and it IS a real name.

nameberry.com/babyname/Finlo

So go for it!

chinlo Sat 17-Sep-16 13:52:03

Oh sorry - it is a real name! It's Manx.

Lots of people are a little protective about its origins, kind of like Jago from Cornwall, I guess.

chinlo Sat 17-Sep-16 13:53:21

If you name your son Finlo you will have something in common with Jeremy Clarkson

That is the one [quite major grin] downside, but then again, we thankfully live in a country where nobody knows who that is.

Artandco Sat 17-Sep-16 13:54:43

No it's made up

Finnbar
Finnian
Flynn
Phineas

chinlo Sat 17-Sep-16 13:55:19

It's made up in the sense that all names are made up. But aside from that, it is a real name.

TheLastHeatwave Sat 17-Sep-16 13:55:34

'Hi, I'm Chinlo & this is Finlo'

I think not.

Ps: Fully aware your real name is hardly likely to be Chinlo, but considering you are contemplating Finlo, it could be 😁L

But seriously, and you did ask, NO to Finlo. Manx or otherwise it sounds daft.

Honeybee79 Sat 17-Sep-16 13:56:54

No.

chinlo Sat 17-Sep-16 13:57:04

I just realised how similar my username is to the name Finlo, lol! That wasn't even intentional!

EssentialHummus Sat 17-Sep-16 14:04:05

It sounds daft I've always thought the same about Jago.

chinlo Sat 17-Sep-16 14:06:57

I've been through so many lists that I'm starting to lose all hope feel very philosophical about the whole thing. People are going to dislike a name just because it's not a "common" name that they've heard before - isn't that boring?? I think I just want a combination of letters that sound nice together, that people can use to identify my son!

SuburbanRhonda Sat 17-Sep-16 14:19:27

Just go for it OP, if you like it.

Don't worry about it sounding ridiculous grin

KoalaDownUnder Sat 17-Sep-16 14:22:42

No. It's utterly weird.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 17-Sep-16 14:23:27

I quite like it smile

TribbleTrouble Sat 17-Sep-16 14:25:30

Eh, it's not exactly Princess Poppy is it. I say go for it, I think it's a nice name.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 17-Sep-16 14:31:43

Wrt Princess Poppy,I read in the DM earlier about identical twins called Millie- Robbin and Mollie -Ribbon! That will be quite a mouthful and confusing calling kids from a distanceshock

Finlo is fine smile

koalab Sat 17-Sep-16 14:36:11

I knew a Finlo when I was in school. Never thought it was an odd name at all.

Jooni Sat 17-Sep-16 16:00:23

It's not that weird is it?!

I've heard the name before and think it's quite nice - a less-popular alternative to "of the moment" names like Milo and Finn. My only criticism is that it sounds a bit little-boyish to me, but I think it's a cute and perfectly sensible choice. And I think very few people will know that Jeremy Clarkson has one.

chinlo Sat 17-Sep-16 16:18:46

My only criticism is that it sounds a bit little-boyish to me

I thought so too, but the same is true of one of the other names high on our list, which is Milo. And then I thought, at least Finlo can be shortened to Finn when he's older, if he chooses.

chinlo Sat 17-Sep-16 16:23:16

Also I actually find it a little less boyish than Finley, I think because I see the -o sound at the end of a name as more adult than the -ee sound .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now