Tessa/Tess

(41 Posts)
kmini Fri 16-Sep-16 23:40:25

Thoughts please? How many do you know, where are you and how old. Loved it for ages, now trying for Dc2 and having a wobble.

Thanks

MilkAndFenty Fri 16-Sep-16 23:49:16

The only one I know is my sister and it really suits her smile it's a nice less frequently used name without being too unusual. She's 23. I think my mum knew a Tessa at school and that's where it came from.

Sophronia Sat 17-Sep-16 00:49:00

I know one Tessa who is 26

DramaAlpaca Sat 17-Sep-16 00:55:11

I love Tess. I know one teenager and one in her 40s.

I find Tessa more dated for some reason, so I would go for just Tess.

minatiae Sat 17-Sep-16 01:04:46

I like it. I only know one Tess and hers is short for Tessalynn.

Skippityskip Sat 17-Sep-16 01:50:05

Love Tessa and Tess. I know 3, 2 in their 30s and one 10 year old. They are all lovely, smart girls and their name suits them perfectly. I often wonder why it isn't used more often.

What other names do you like?

GreatFuckability Sat 17-Sep-16 02:01:26

I love Tessa! A friend of mine's sister at uni was Tessa.

Joinourclub Sat 17-Sep-16 02:01:47

Fab name.

GreatFuckability Sat 17-Sep-16 02:02:19

Oh she'd be mid twenties now.

user1471734618 Sat 17-Sep-16 02:09:58

My friend Tessa is 51 and I knew another who would be about 65.
I think it is classic and timeless.
Isn't it sometimes used as a shortening for Teresa?

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 17-Sep-16 09:05:25

I know an older lady called Tess (Theresa).
A lady in her thirties, just Tess, and a baby Tessalina (Tess).

kmini Sat 17-Sep-16 09:28:32

Thank you for all your positive responses. I think it's definitely Tessa I am having a wobble on rather than Tess. No longer versions like Teresa or Tessalynn feel right either.

junebirthdaygirl Sat 17-Sep-16 09:35:43

Both are lovely. Know one Tess aged in 20s .

Honeybee79 Sat 17-Sep-16 12:32:39

I am a Tessa - Tess for short. Am in my 30s. Met a 4 year old Tess the other day. I very rarely meet people with my name. I was always the only Tessa/Tess in my class at school and I quite liked it that way!

Honeybee79 Sat 17-Sep-16 12:33:49

If you are wobbling on Tessa - just go with Tess. Tho I am biased, obviously!

PaperdollCartoon Sat 17-Sep-16 12:36:07

Ive known three, currently work with a Tessa, mid-30s, went to college with a Tess, now in mid-20s, she was quite quirky but very bright, also know a 7 year old Tess.

It suited all of them, it's a nice name, one I think suits all ages as well. Go for it!

tapismagique Sat 17-Sep-16 21:44:25

My sister is called both (either?) depending on the person so I'd say if you go for Tessa there's the option of Tess but not vice versa. But I'd also say that, really, both are diminutives

DaisyFranceLynch Sat 17-Sep-16 21:55:22

I know one Tessa (she's Tessa on the b/c, not a longer name) in sixth form. Also one Teresa in her late thirties.

There's another Tessa I was at primary school with who would be in her mid thirties now, but I'm not in touch with her, and another friend had a mother called Tessa.

The name really suits/suited. I love it, although if I used it I think I would end up going for one of the longer versions on the birth certificate and using Tessa or Tess day to day.

I was wondering the other day whether the canonisation of Mother Teresa or having Theresa May as PM would have an impact on popularity. (I quite liked Cameron for a boy and DH said we couldn't possibly call him that in case people thought we'd named him after David Cameron).

akorda Sun 18-Sep-16 20:33:22

Gorgeous name!

GoNorthDarren Sun 18-Sep-16 21:09:20

I'm not terribly keen on Tess but only because I once knew a labrador named Tess and it always makes me think 'dog's name' when I hear it... I only know of Tess Daily apart from that.

I quite like Tessa though and I knew one at university who was a lovely and very clever girl from London. Other than that I don't know any.

Bathsheba Tue 20-Sep-16 18:58:16

I have a 6 year old Tess.... Everyone loves her name. She never stops talking though.... But that might be specific to my Tess

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 20-Sep-16 19:26:39

I like it. I was with my nephew in the park the other day and he was playing with a little girl called Tess. She was beautiful.

LunaLoveg00d Wed 21-Sep-16 07:49:14

I know a 7 year old Tess. It's a great name - unusual, but not way out weird and wacky.

OvariesBeforeBrovaries Wed 21-Sep-16 07:57:58

I don't know of any but it's a beautiful name, both Tessa and Tess. I think I prefer Tessa.

BurnTheBlackSuit Wed 21-Sep-16 08:03:41

I love both of them! Lovely different but normal names.

I think which one also depends on your surname- a short surname need a longer first name: Tessa Smith, whilst a longer surname can suit a shorter first name: Tess Williamson.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now