Leo and Thea - okay or not?

(24 Posts)
IAmALionTamer Sat 10-Sep-16 18:29:42

As per the thread title really. Expecting DC2 in April, our DS is called Leo. Thea is currently amongst the top contenders should this one be a girl.
I'm worried that Leo and Thea sounds a bit odd, a bit matchy matchy but DH says I'm overthinking things (which I very well am likely to be!) I just wondered what the mumsnet verdict was?

Mummydummy Sat 10-Sep-16 18:30:40

Lovely names both. I dont think they're too matchy matchy.

MuffyTheUmpireSlayer Sat 10-Sep-16 18:30:49

I really like them together. I am usually in the minority on babe names threads though!

OhFuds Sat 10-Sep-16 18:31:29

Too similar especially if you say the names quick.

twinjocks Sat 10-Sep-16 18:37:07

I think there's a lot of scope for constantly getting both names wrong - calling them Leah and Theo, rather than Leo and Thea. I know I would mix them up. Both nice names, but not together, imo.

IAmALionTamer Sat 10-Sep-16 19:00:54

twin that is the kind of thing I'd be worried about. DH is not bothered by it at all!
Any alternative suggestions? We like Sienna, Sophie, Charlotte and Marnie also

OhFuds Sat 10-Sep-16 19:07:24

The only one I'm not keen on is Marnie, the other names are lovely.

finova Sat 10-Sep-16 19:10:46

I think they are fine together, both lovely names. If you are writing them you'll put 'Leo AND Thea' and if calling their names you'll breath in between 'Leo....Thea'.

Loyly Sat 10-Sep-16 19:11:19

Yeah, I also thought that they might get muddled as Lea and Theo when said together.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 10-Sep-16 19:39:46

Lovely OP.
You probably will mix them up, under duress, but you'll know their names, we all do it.
Leo and Thea
Theo and Leah
You are bound to do it, would it bother you ?

Beeziekn33ze Sat 10-Sep-16 20:04:16

I once memorably muddled twin's named Lee and Luke, came out as Loo and Leak.😳

Crunchymum Sat 10-Sep-16 20:15:40

Yep the potential to muddle is too great for me so I'd say no.

MrPoppersPenguins Sat 10-Sep-16 20:44:45

I have a Leo. And Thea was on our girl shortlist so we have similar tastes! I don't think I'd go with the two together if im honest. I'd probably end up saying Theo and Leah too often. Other girl names we like.... Freya, Beth, Niamh.

isitseptemberyet Sat 10-Sep-16 22:07:59

i don't think they are too matchy, besides in the grand scheme of things you live at home with siblings for such a short period of time, they will be out in the world (with their great names) and not having to reply to their name in sync with their siblings..
at least that's how i have justified having a Margot and a Hugo to myself !! :-D

bluechameleon Sat 10-Sep-16 23:48:15

I'm afraid I do think they are too matchy. Lovely names but not together. I like Charlotte best from your list.

DramaAlpaca Sun 11-Sep-16 00:15:45

Too similar & too much potential to muddle them up as others have said.

The other names on your list work better, and IMO are much nicer names than Thea.

I like Sophie best from your list, it goes really well with Leo.

grin at Loo and Leak for Lee and Luke grin

I think though lovely they are too simular

finova Sun 11-Sep-16 07:08:52

I've been thinking...too much... about this, and have come up with a theory!:-

Each name has 3 sounds l ee au and th ee a.
They only have 1/3 in common which is fine.
2/3 wouldn't be fine.

So I wouldn't have a Noah with a Nora as 2/3 sounds the same.
You could have Noah with Mia, Tia, Thea, Leah though as only 1/3 sounds the same.

Some would have a Noah and Jonah as only 2/4 the same.
So maybe names are okay up to 50% the same sounds.

Molly, Polly, Holly wouldn't be siblings or Polly and Posey as 3/4 sounds the same (more than 50%).

You could have a Holly and Posey 1/4 sounds the same or Holly and Hattie 2/4 sounds the same though.

finova Sun 11-Sep-16 07:10:35

Actually Polly and Posey have diff vowel so 2/4 the same. If say that's borderline though!!

Pipilangstrumpf Sun 11-Sep-16 07:59:02

Too similar and easy to say Theo and Lea. Love your other suggestions especially Marni.

Pipilangstrumpf Sun 11-Sep-16 08:06:46

Too similar and easy to say Theo and Lea. Love your other suggestions especially Marni.

IAmALionTamer Sun 11-Sep-16 08:43:41

finova I love the level of thought you've given it, I think your theory makes complete sense.
Overall consensus is that it's not a great pairing with Leo. I've got months and months to go yet & it may not be a girl anyway so no rush, but I just can't take Thea off the cards. I love it too much!

finova Sun 11-Sep-16 09:25:05

I'm expecting DC3 in April too, Leo is on the list for a boy!

Filiboom Sat 17-Sep-16 19:11:39

Is Thea pronounced to rhyme with Freya? If so, I think it's fine. Our Leo has a friend called Freya and they sound good together.

Thea pronounced Thee-a, though, would be a bit matchup. (Lovely name though.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now