Ruairi ?

(17 Posts)
isitseptemberyet Sat 03-Sep-16 12:56:44

pronounced the Scottish way of Roo-a-ree

opinions please
thanks you smile

VioletBam Sat 03-Sep-16 12:58:28

I honestly think it's one of those names which some people won't know how to pronounce and will say "Roo- Ay-Re" or just "How do you say this?" and I think that will be a pain.

bloodymaria Sat 03-Sep-16 12:58:46

It's a great name, but I've only ever heard it pronounced roo-ree and I know a fair few of them (and I'm in Scotland), roo-a-ree sounds like an odd pronunciation.

chocoLit Sat 03-Sep-16 12:59:53

It's pronounced roo-ree here in this part of Scotland

Loyly Sat 03-Sep-16 13:03:13

I'm Scottish, it's pronounced Roo-ree here. It doesn't have three syllables or a 'ah' sound in it. It's a beautiful name OP!

Kitchenaide Sat 03-Sep-16 13:03:55

Only ever heard of it pronounced as "Rory". Celtic names are fairly common and as such I think most people learn pretty quickly how to say them and they are easy to remember. Not sure about your favoured pronounciation though.

MaudGonneMad Sat 03-Sep-16 13:05:02

In Ireland it has a quick middle syllable, almost like a lift before the -ree ending.

It's a lovely name OP.

TallulahTheTiger Sat 03-Sep-16 13:05:39

Lovely name- but I know it spelled as Ruairidh?

weegiemum Sat 03-Sep-16 13:06:06

My dc say "ru-a-ri" but they're gaelic speakers

OlennasWimple Sat 03-Sep-16 13:08:19

I'd probably pronounce it Rory, as that's how the little boy I know with that name is known

I think it's becoming better known now, so less likely to cause confusion than a few years back

DramaAlpaca Sat 03-Sep-16 13:09:11

Agree with Maud about how it's pronounced in Ireland, with the short middle syllable.

Lovely name.

DoctorDonnaNoble Sat 03-Sep-16 13:11:29

My Ruaridh will be turning 1 in a couple of weeks. It really suits him more than Rory would. I teach boys and wanted a name without associations. Interestingly my Scottish family have the most trouble with it (my dad's side sound very Scottish but aren't very aware of 'Scottish things' beyond football, my mum's side, who are on the islands and West Coast think it's awesome).

EssentialHummus Sat 03-Sep-16 13:12:14

I like it but as a foreigner I called "my" Ruairi, er, Rooarre-ee the first couple of times, until I heard someone else say his name. Likewise with Irish names - Saidhbh etc.

DoctorDonnaNoble Sat 03-Sep-16 13:14:14

Meant to say I've often explained it to English people as 'brewery without the b' wouldn't work in all English areas but is pretty much perfect here.

HoratioNightboy Sat 03-Sep-16 15:39:27

If you want it to be pronounced the correct Scottish Gaelic way then you are better to choose a Scottish Gaelic spelling. Either Ruairidh or Ruaraidh are correct spellings, anything else isn't. Both of these are pronounced as you describe: roo-a-ree.

A lot of people, even some Scots, seem to have difficulty with the pronunciation (and spelling!) and the more people use it, the more varied the spellings and pronunciations seem to become. But stick to your guns over the pronunciation you want - you are correct.

MrsGsnow18 Sat 03-Sep-16 15:45:56

doctordonnanoble's explanation is perfect for how I would pronounce and such a clever way to explain!

OSETmum Sat 03-Sep-16 15:58:57

Well I love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now