Do these names rhyme?!

(16 Posts)
MoreCakeMoreCake Wed 31-Aug-16 09:27:14

DD1 is Ruby and we really want Phoebe for DD2. No matter how many times I say them together, they rhyme (though DH says not).

Wise MNers on our Nov Babies FB group have all said they don't rhyme, but I just can't get it out of my head!

We do have some other names in mind but absolutely love Phoebe over the others.

Would Ruby & Phoebe sound daft?

JazzAnnNonMouse Wed 31-Aug-16 09:28:06

Yes they rhyme to me.

curlywillow Wed 31-Aug-16 09:28:53

roo - bee
fee - bee

only the end part rhymes and so they don't rhyme as such

BikeRunSki Wed 31-Aug-16 09:29:51

I don't think they rhyme.

Ruby ends in "bee" sound, Phoebe ends in "eebee". The middle sounds are too different for them to rhyme.

I think they sound fine.

curlywillow Wed 31-Aug-16 09:30:15

where as Ruby and Luby do rhyme

Roo - bee
Loo - bee

Both syllables rhyme

crayfish Wed 31-Aug-16 09:30:31

I love both your names but have a similar conundrum with names if DC2 is a boy (not the names but think Angus and Fergus), we have decided we wouldn't do it, it just feels a bit silly to me. Your names are better because they look quite different written down but they sound very similar when said.

MaisieDotes Wed 31-Aug-16 09:30:44

It's a half rhyme. The "bee" sound at the end of each name rhymes.

WhatTheDickensian Wed 31-Aug-16 09:31:06

They don't Rhyme but they have a similar cadence and sound.

I have a simila issue that my favourite name is v similar sounding to DD1's name. Part of me thinks it does not matter as they are individuals and being a sibling is just a tiny part of their identity. However, I do think people might judge and I might constantly about the wrong name.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 31-Aug-16 09:32:06

They don't rhyme but if you're calling one from a distance it might not be easy to distinguish which one you mean!

luckiestgirl Wed 31-Aug-16 09:33:23

Unless you're pronouncing Pheobe 'fooby', then no they don't 'rhyme'.

But they do sound daft.

smile

LizzieMacQueen Wed 31-Aug-16 09:34:09

Ruby and Scarlett are better - then if you have a boy you can call him Rory/Rufus/Red to keep with a theme.

Spaghettidog Wed 31-Aug-16 09:35:11

Technically, they're what's called a half-rhyme or imperfect rhyme, because only the unstressed final syllable ('bee') rhymes and the stressed or main syllable ('ROO' and 'FEE') doesn't.

Personally, yes, I think they sound a bit sing-songy and over-similar together, and you clearly think the same if you've been saying them out loud and thinking they sound too samey.

Zippidydoodah Wed 31-Aug-16 09:36:28

Hmm, I think they do sound similar although they don't technically rhyme. I know someone who has girls called Isla and Ella, though, which I do think is odd.

MoreCakeMoreCake Wed 31-Aug-16 09:37:38

Dame that's what's I was thinking - e.g. calling them both in from the garden might be confusing!

luckiest cheers for the honesty wink

Oh poo, am really stuck. Don't like any other names half as much. 3 months to decide!

wigglesrock Wed 31-Aug-16 11:17:05

I think you'll be alright if you like the name enough. I've 3 daughters, all their names end in a and two end in ia. I've never noticed an issue when I've been guldering up the stairs for them or calling them in a playground/ out the back.

You only really say their names together when they are small or if you're telling someone your kids names, when they are up a bit each of your daughters won't be using their and their sister's name together, ifykwim, so if you really love the name I wouldn't overthink it.

BikeRunSki Wed 31-Aug-16 12:07:50

Lizzie I know siblings Scarlett, Ruby, Sienna and Aidan (Fire).
The first 2 were coincidental, the lat 2 deliberate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now