Thales

(33 Posts)
TheHorseWhisperer Sat 27-Aug-16 15:44:05

Thoughts?

Came across this name in my ancestry and I've fallen in love with it.

Soubriquet Sat 27-Aug-16 15:46:21

Well I don't like it but it isn't my baby

EmpressKnowsWhereHerTowelIs Sat 27-Aug-16 15:47:54

How do you pronounce it? Thails or Thar-lees?

TheHorseWhisperer Sat 27-Aug-16 15:50:18

Thails Empress

And fair enough Soubriquet!

Pyrrha Sat 27-Aug-16 15:51:17

I'd say Thay-lees. I quite like it, I don't think I'd be brave enough to use it though!

PurpleDaisies Sat 27-Aug-16 15:52:43

I don't like it sorry, it sounds pretentious. It's such an unusual name there's no way everyone will like it, the only people that really matter are you and your dh.

Gardencentregroupie Sat 27-Aug-16 15:55:53

It's a company that makes weaponry Might as well call your DC BAEsystems

TheHorseWhisperer Sat 27-Aug-16 15:59:16

Well, primarily it is the name of an Ancient Greek philosopher and mathematician but I see your point garden

Cinnamon12345 Sat 27-Aug-16 15:59:30

Our video system at work is called Thales...

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sat 27-Aug-16 16:01:04

I used to work for Thales! They pronounce it Ta-Liss though.

I wouldn't recommend naming a baby after them.

Loyly Sat 27-Aug-16 16:07:01

Sorry, I don't like it. Just as an aside, my first thought was it might be said 'Fails' if he/others couldn't pronounce 'th'.

Gardencentregroupie Sat 27-Aug-16 16:09:10

I strongly suspect more people will think of the company than the mathematician, I'm afraid. Archimedes? Socrates? Isaac? Andrew?

AnotherUsernameBitesTheDust Sat 27-Aug-16 16:10:25

Thales is just down the road from me. It's pronounced ta-liss, which is how I would say it if it was that spelling.

It just reminds me of the company, rather than a persons name.

kate33 Sat 27-Aug-16 16:11:45

Wasn't so keen at first, but it really grows on you. Yeah I like it a lot. The only thing is other people. My first born has a relatively unusual name, well I had heard it a few times and dp used to teach someone who was named it, but my goodness in the entire 8 years of his life only a very few have got it right. So your ds may have to get used to correcting people.

FenellaMaxwell Sat 27-Aug-16 16:17:12

It's pronounced Ta-Liss, not Thails. You will have to explain and spell it to every single person you meet for all eternity. If even you can't pronounce it, there isn't much hope others will!

Booboostwo Sat 27-Aug-16 17:08:02

If you are thinking of the Greek connection it is pronounced Tha-lees with a strong theta sound rather than a t sound.

Then again the Greek girl's name Thalia is pronounced Tha-lia in Greek but I have heard British people use it as Talia.

It is very unusual and it would still be unusual in Greece where you often here of Socratis, Aristotelis, Odyseas, Iraklis and even Patroklos, Agamemnon and Ectoras

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Sat 27-Aug-16 20:23:51

Weirdly I have heard of the company Thales and would pronounce it Ta-Liss for that reason.

florascotianew Sat 27-Aug-16 20:32:13

Thales was one of the Seven Sages of the ancient word - a staggeringly clever mathematician and engineer. Might be interesting to find out about him - and your ancestor - before naming a baby after them (Thay-lees or Tha-lees, as previous poster said):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales

lljkk Sat 27-Aug-16 20:45:23

I went to school with a boy called Thane (rhymes with rain).

PotatoBread Sat 27-Aug-16 22:39:20

For me it's an air defence/aerospace Company. May aswell name your baby Airbus or Boeing. There is a Thales site not too far from me though - maybe i wouldn't have made the connection if there wasn't. Unlikely though.

PotatoBread Sat 27-Aug-16 22:40:18

I, along with friends who work there, pronounce it Ta-Liss

Figgygal Sat 27-Aug-16 22:58:57

My mum used to work for them ......french electronics systems firm

Ridiculous name for a child sorry

LippyLiz Sat 27-Aug-16 23:04:30

Sorry no, very pretentious, he'll always have to spell it to people and people will never know how to pronounce it. No

OTheHugeManatee Sat 27-Aug-16 23:07:32

If you name your child Thales and raise him pronounce it to rhyme with 'males' everyone your child ever meets who has a smattering of classical education will snigger behind their hand at you, and him.

calzone Sat 27-Aug-16 23:09:19

It's awful.

I'll say it again for the 3rd time this week, pregnancy hormones have a lot to answer for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now