compromise baby (boy) names

(61 Posts)
BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 09:34:19

In reference to this thread, here are the boys choices.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2716166-compromise-baby-girl-names

DH and I don't really agree on baby name styles.

My boys names:
Reuben
Elliot
Theo
Leo
Ted (Edward)
Arthur

His boys names:
Ethan
Baxter
Harrison
Zack
Aaron
Toby

Names we both don't mind:
Ashton
Jacob
I would call Harrison Harry, but he wasn't keen on Harry

Surname is quite rare, but doesn't sound it, sounds quite run of the mill English. Starts with R. I'm also keen to have my maiden name as a second middle name, begins with G, and is short and Irish.

Thanks!

DonkeyOaty Thu 25-Aug-16 09:37:00

Not Baxter

Tiggeryoubastard Thu 25-Aug-16 09:37:08

Baxter (fuck no!) Harrison and Ashton are bloody awful. Really bad.

Afreshstartplease Thu 25-Aug-16 09:38:40

I don't like any of your compromise names sad

From your list I like Elliot Theo and Ted, from his list I like Toby

Sympathies as my dp and I cannot agree either! When are you due?

strawberrypenguin Thu 25-Aug-16 09:41:44

Rueben and Elliot were on my shortlist. We also had
Henry
Max
Dexter
Duncan
Miles

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 09:42:01

I know, Baxter?!

Due in December, glad we started negotiations now...

I like Ashton, but I have designs on moving to a place called Long Ashton when DCs are school age, imagine the poor lad introducing himself.

Afreshstartplease Thu 25-Aug-16 09:45:37

We have less than 8 weeks until due date and no where near an agreement

I've got a bit fed up of discussing it TBH

Our compromise names are all a bit meh to me! - Charlie, Noah etc

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 09:48:00

Im much more wedded to my boy preferences than my girls ones, I think because his boy options are so odd.

I really like my boy options, but he's not keen at all. He appears to like vowel names from what I can tell? Maybe ideas down that route?

We quite like Noah as a name, but I'm not keen on the religious connotations. I know a lot of names have biblical roots, but that ones a really obviously one and we're staunchly atheist

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 09:49:50

I got a "meh" on max and he said "Hoover" to henry. They were on my longer list.

He's very good at vetoing names, not so good at coming up with suggestions though!

Afreshstartplease Thu 25-Aug-16 09:50:54

All of our compromise names are top ten which I find very off putting. None of my other three have top ten names.

I don't want the next Lily!

strawberrypenguin Thu 25-Aug-16 09:52:23

Adam?

NapQueen Thu 25-Aug-16 09:53:59

What about Dexter?

Mozismyhero Thu 25-Aug-16 09:54:09

What are your girl names, just so we can get an idea of what you both like.

Your dh's are awful, except for Toby.

Don't like Ashton at all, sorry. How about Asher? Or Ashley?

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 09:58:03

Girls names link in the OP mozi, did it as a separate thread for easier reference (for me at least)

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 10:00:06

Dexter makes me think of dexters laboratory... That was the thing I was trying to think of when he came up with Baxter last night but couldn't put my finger on it

Afreshstartplease Thu 25-Aug-16 10:01:29

My dp sounds like yours! Quick to say no but not as willing to make own suggestions!

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 10:06:11

That's the other thing AFresh, I don't want a really common name. We got his list from looking at last years top 100. Couldn't get him to go as far as top 500. Although to be fair the top 500 seemed to be a lot of interesting spellings and more niche names he would never go for (although with the ones he has picked...)

Really surprised me actually, I thought he'd be quite traditional. As in tom, Dan, max type names

candykane25 Thu 25-Aug-16 10:07:40

I like Baxter.

I think Henry is a good compromise name?

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 10:08:06

Names we can't have as they're already in the family

Christopher
Jack
Simon
Oliver (really popular, but I do like it)
Tom
James
Joshua

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 10:23:28

We know a lot of Adams strawberry so don't think he'd be keen on that. He vetoed Ted for a similar reason

Afreshstartplease Thu 25-Aug-16 10:29:47

I think last year's official statistics on names are out at the start of September. I'm hoping that will help me

Daffydil Thu 25-Aug-16 10:35:04

Elliot and Toby were on my short list. We ended up with Felix (I suspect your oh wil veto that on cat grounds). But I like Toby. Go with Toby.

ElodieS Thu 25-Aug-16 11:18:26

This one's harder Bristol! I really like Reuben and Toby though, not sure about your compromise ones personally. How about Jack? Could be short for Jackson if that's more your DH's style?

ElodieS Thu 25-Aug-16 11:19:01

This one's harder Bristol! I really like Reuben and Toby though, not sure about your compromise ones personally. How about Jack? Could be short for Jackson if that's more your DH's style?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now