compromise baby (girl) names

(40 Posts)
BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 09:32:01

Finally got DH to go through some baby names websites last night. He was determined the name would just come to us in a flash when DC is born (due in Dec), but given how dismissive he'd been about any names I suggested, I suspected we wouldn't be coming up with the same things. Last thing I wanted was a post-labour sleep deprived argument about it!

We don't actually know the sex, but I'll do a thread for each to keep it easier to follow.

Turns out we have quite different views on names. There's a few we both didn't mind, but nothing that wowed us.So, based on our shortlists, please come up with name ideas that might suit both our tastes

My names (I like old fashioned names):
Matilda
Caitlin
Ada
Iris
Rosa
Emmeline
Margot

His names:
Emily
Layla
Isabella
Jasmine
Leah
Robyn

Names on both our lists:
Evelyn
Marcy
Hannah
Harriet

Surname is quite rare, but doesn't sound like it should be, sounds quite run of the mill English. Starts with R. I'm also keen to have my maiden name as a second middle name, begins with G, and is short and Irish.

Will add the boys thread in the replies...

Thanks!!

strawberrypenguin Thu 25-Aug-16 09:38:36

Julie
Charlotte
Nicola
Megan
Naomi

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 09:39:55

compromise baby (boy) names
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2716170-compromise-baby-boy-names

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 09:51:42

Megan could be an option. Charlotte got a "meh" from DH, but is a safe name. Not keen on Charlie though (although don't mind Lottie / Lotte)

strawberrypenguin Thu 25-Aug-16 09:54:23

I've got boys so never had to name a girl! Trying to think what I had on a list now rather than ones that match your requirements umm
Phoebe
Amber
Cordelia
Eloise
Arianna

NapQueen Thu 25-Aug-16 09:55:51

Harriet from your compromise list.

Robyn from his and Matilda from yours.

What about Phoebe or Louisa?

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 09:56:09

Also can't use these names as they're already in the family

Sophie
Abby
Lucy
Grace
Holly
Saffron
Freya
Sarah
Alison
Laura
Natalie

fitzbilly Thu 25-Aug-16 09:56:30

I think Layla is the nicest and most underused name. Margot would be my second choice.

I don't really see his list being a different style to yours, send like you have similar name ideas.

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 10:01:49

I'm not keen on Layla or Robyn, feels too modern.

Amber and Eloise might be options (for me at least...)

Bigfam Thu 25-Aug-16 10:18:17

I like Emmeline bristol smile
I also love Rosalie (but i think weechops from dec thread has chosen that grin )
Also like Eloise & Elodie

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 10:20:26

Elorie and elodie were on my longer list bigfam, but also got vetoed

duskonthelawn Thu 25-Aug-16 10:22:49

I'm a big fan of Harriet (I think my DD would have suited it but DP was a firm no)
We also have Hannah on our possible future list, it's a beautiful name

ElodieS Thu 25-Aug-16 11:14:08

Hi Bristol!

I love your names! I have a Rosa, it's a fab name. Do you like Rose, and would that work for your DH? I also really like Robyn.

How about Roberta, Bobby for short? Old fashioned but feels quite fresh I think...

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 16:44:31

Thanks for your help all!

Any other suggestions? Am going to be armed with an additional list for discussion at dinner smile

NavyandWhite Thu 25-Aug-16 16:52:55

Harriet.

bingandflop Thu 25-Aug-16 16:55:28

Bryony

BristolLFR Thu 25-Aug-16 17:32:52

Harriet is one of our contenders at the mo

Will add bryony to the list for discussion, I quite like it

Dontrocktheboat Thu 25-Aug-16 17:35:36

I like Ada and Iris best from your list, both were on my list for a girl. Also like Hannah.

What about Iona, Clara, Eliza, Stella.

DPotter Thu 25-Aug-16 17:47:14

You've got another 3 months to think this through so don't sweat it.
My DP would only talk about boys names and just wouldn't think about girls names at all. I had a rough list, but DP & I agreed really quickly after DD was born on her names- and it wasn't one on my list. So I'm with your DH on this - have a rough list and decide when the baby's born.

dArtagnansCrumpet Thu 25-Aug-16 17:51:38

I called DD Emma, what about that? People will probably say it's boring loads of Emma's but I don't think it's that popular anymore. Plus it's a traditional name and not too far from Emily which I would have chosen if our surname didn't sound daft wit h it

Floralnomad Thu 25-Aug-16 17:52:44

I like Matilda from yours ,Jasmine from the other list and Harriet from the joint list . What about Juliet or Vivienne .

mummymeister Thu 25-Aug-16 17:56:09

I like Lily, Annie, Cecily, Imogen, Morwenna, Eloise / Heloise for the French spelling, Josephine and Martha.

we chose our girls names in advance and our boys names when they arrived. just the way it happened.

I do find that I don't like names with associations so Harriet (Harman) Layla (bad 70's rock ballad) Margot (70's sitcom)

I also deliberately chose names for all of my DC that weren't in the top 100 that year which, in itself was a bit of a challenge.

BowSurprise Thu 25-Aug-16 19:25:52

Think we have similar taste Bristol with Iris and Matilda. Surprised you didn't have Isabella/Isobel on your joint list as thought that would tick both yours and DPs boxes?

other ideas....
Georgia
Rosie
Alice
Ava
Heidi

pinkpixie83 Thu 25-Aug-16 19:31:31

Eloise is lovely, what about an Eleanor or Rebecca?

Eebahgum Thu 25-Aug-16 19:43:38

I don't really see why you have a problem - as you have 4 names on both of your lists. Can't you choose 1 of those? Otherwise, could a compromise be calling her Emmeline (your list) but accepting that people may shorten this to Emmie or Emily (his list).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now