NAME GAME TO HELP US ELIMINATE (please!)

(62 Posts)
LoraLoves Fri 19-Aug-16 20:42:10

Only a bit left until birth and DH has scrapped our potential names for a daughter. He has gone off Tilly, still likes Luna but I worry about teasing and Alice is too drippy for us both. So, in a desperate bid we've spent today searching for a name and I have a list of Billie-Rose, Martha, Polly (maybe), Liza (maybe), Ada, Nora, Bess, Minnie (maybe), Tess, Ida, Vivian, Elise and Lila.

My DH likes Winnie, Mabel, Edie, Marie, Mae and Faye. So, we would like for you to choose your two favourite names from our lists and please give us your reasons. We will go over the most popular and put them together. We don't want a very popular name but want something to go well with the other kids.
For boys, we can both agree that a son will be named Milo, Seth, Kerr, Remy, Ace, Leo or Cole. For middle names, we like Usain (yes, after Bolt) and King (after Nat King Cole).

Please help! I don't want to refer to her as Baby for the first weeks of her life and I would like the other kids to have a name to call her by.

Lo x

LunaLoveg00d Fri 19-Aug-16 20:49:51

From your list : Martha
From his list: Edie

Either of those names will suit a baby, a child, and will work for an adult woman in whatever profession she chooses. They are spelled correctly and won't provoke a WTF reaction when your daughter tells someone her name.

Please don't use Billie-Rose. It will date dreadfully and hypenated names are not good.

TomDaleysTightTrunks Fri 19-Aug-16 20:54:36

Hate Alice, it's so wishy-washy. Love Luna. Also like Martha and Edie.
Please call him Ace if it's a boy!
Minnie is a nickname for a girls private parts. Winnie is a yellow bear's name so please not those two.

Batteriesallgone Fri 19-Aug-16 20:55:07

My thoughts on your list: Martha and Ada are lovely but very very common at the mo. Nothing wrong with that but you said you didn't want anything too popular. Vivian is also a mans name so are you happy with a unisex name? Also Ida - Ida the spider in Wussywat (CBeebies) I know it's irrelevant but just thought I'd mention it.

I love Tess, could be short for Teresa.

From his list I like Winnie and Mabel.

As an overall winner I'd pick Mabel. In use as a name but not too popular, lovely sound, never known a bad Mabel grin

Batteriesallgone Fri 19-Aug-16 20:56:10

Oh and yeah Minnie is a bit like using Fanny. A name but...well blush

mrsclooneytoyou Fri 19-Aug-16 20:56:11

Mae
Tess

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 19-Aug-16 20:57:08

Nothing stands out apart from Billie-Rose. It's hideous. Please don't.

misstweedyweedy Fri 19-Aug-16 20:57:48

Tess and Faye. Both down to earth names, the others are generally a bit old lady-ish for my liking. Probably prefer Tessa if I'm honest, but that's because of an old friend of mine.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Fri 19-Aug-16 20:59:49

Yours: Nora
His: Edge

Boy: Cole or Remy

LadyMonicaBaddingham Fri 19-Aug-16 21:00:17

EDIE, not Edge, stupid autocorrect

TomDaleysTightTrunks Fri 19-Aug-16 21:01:13

Edge? grin
Maybe for the hardened U2 fan

TomDaleysTightTrunks Fri 19-Aug-16 21:02:06

I mean diehard! Fucks sake

LowAMH Fri 19-Aug-16 21:02:35

Yours - Elise or lila
His - Marie or Faye

AStreetcarNamedBob Fri 19-Aug-16 21:03:37

Anything but billie-rose.

Batteriesallgone Fri 19-Aug-16 21:04:36

Oh and also if you're using Usain as a middle name remember to check how the initials read. Very important with names that start with vowels. Off the top of my head, Seth Usain then surname beginning C or K would be a Bad Idea I should think.

LoraLoves Fri 19-Aug-16 21:10:33

Surname begins with W!
Loving the U2 references Lady and Tom!
So, Ada, I have a slight problem with because my sons name begins with A and I don't want two A names.
So far, Martha, Edie, Tess and Faye are getting Mumsnet approval.
If Billie-Rose is out of favour, how about just Billie?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 19-Aug-16 21:11:33

Liza and Vivian from your list but spelt Vivienne. No reason really just some names you like others you don't

From your DHs list I like Winnie and Marie.

Re the boys names I don't think Cole King or Ace King are going to flow

LoraLoves Fri 19-Aug-16 21:14:19

DH is thrilled that Marie and Faye are getting good receptions!

capercaillie Fri 19-Aug-16 21:14:30

Don't really like any apart from Martha. And definitely don't like any on your DH list.

Froggie13 Fri 19-Aug-16 21:14:43

Tess and Faye, prefer Faye as I think it sounds classy and suits from baby to adult. Congratulations and good luck smile

ExcellentWorkThereMary Fri 19-Aug-16 21:15:36

From your list I love Polly. I wanted to be called Polly as a child I thought it was such a cool name. It makes me think of books I read and adored as a child about a girl called Polly who outsmarted a wolf.

Im not so keen on your husbands list. Marie is ok, I don't like any of the others I'm afraid!

Polly gets my vote smile

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 19-Aug-16 21:15:56

Ace King sounds like a deck of playing cards

NameChange30 Fri 19-Aug-16 21:16:52

Girl: Ada or Faye
Boy: Leo or Cole

LoraLoves Fri 19-Aug-16 21:19:46

Ace is a bit of guilty pleasure name live but both DH and I adore it. We are well aware that Ace King sounds a bit strange!

quitecrunchy Fri 19-Aug-16 21:20:22

Tess and Marie. Not keen on many of the others but love Tess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now