Megan Margaret

(35 Posts)
cornishglos Sat 13-Aug-16 18:53:56

I'd like to use Margaret or Margarita as a middle name. My favourite first name at the moment is Megan. Is Megan Margaret really awful? What else goes with Margaret? I also like Cara and Lydia if that helps. Thanks

OneEpisode Sat 13-Aug-16 18:58:11

Some people will be really pleased to work out that Megan is the Welsh variant of Margaret & might think you didn't know? You and baby's dad get to choose though so you choose. You could go full on for Megan Margaret Margarita and use all three names?

DearMrDilkington Sat 13-Aug-16 18:59:51

It's a bit of a mouthful if I'm honest, lovely names though.

Minniemagoo Sat 13-Aug-16 19:01:18

The very few people will ever hear your child's middle name, beyond immediate family and officials (school, passport) so feel free to use whatever you want, as long as you do realise they are variants of the same name.

cornishglos Sat 13-Aug-16 19:01:38

Ha ha, thanks. Better to find that out now and not later. Am open to other suggestions. But I did think that Megan meant White, and Margaret meant Daisy??

cornishglos Sat 13-Aug-16 19:04:37

So could you potentially name a child Margaret but introduce them as Meg?

Minniemagoo Sat 13-Aug-16 19:04:44

So I gather you werent aware but Margaret (English), Megan/Meghan (Welsh/Scot), Mairead/Maighread (Irish) etc were all variants of same name.

Minniemagoo Sat 13-Aug-16 19:05:27

Yep, Meg and Peggy would be NNs for Margaret, also Maggie, mags, etc

Voddy4 Sat 13-Aug-16 19:06:07

I like megan Margaret it's got a really nice ring to it

LunaLoveg00d Sat 13-Aug-16 19:06:28

My granny's name was Margaret, and she was commonly known as Meg.

OneEpisode Sat 13-Aug-16 19:07:05

Margaret is a very very old name with lots of variants, based on a very old Sanskrit word. So it has lots of meanings and they are all good! Some of the variants (Gretel for instance) aren't obvious...

MamMamMam Sat 13-Aug-16 19:07:51

Maeve Margaret? Still a mouthfull but as mini said very few people will ever hear a middle name.

cornishglos Sat 13-Aug-16 19:10:47

That's good to know OneEpisode. Margaret is my MIL name and I like it. But if it were used as a first name the baby would have the same first name and surname as MIL!

OlafLovesAnna Sat 13-Aug-16 19:13:17

I liked Mary Margaret for a girl, I like the alliteration.

Megan Margaret sounds sweet I think

OneEpisode Sat 13-Aug-16 19:15:46

Family names are nice. Maeve, suggested by pp has a different root. Maisie is another one from Margaret. Nothing wrong with that! You could own it!

cornishglos Sat 13-Aug-16 19:18:34

I actually like the sound/ flow of Megan Margaret, but worried they were too similar (Meggie Maggie). I wouldn't do it now.

SecretNutellaFix Sat 13-Aug-16 19:21:33

As someone who has an alliterative name with the above initial who subsequently married a bloke with the same initial surname, please don't do it.

MMM.

That said I have heard of a little girl names Isobel Elizabeth which I though was odd. Her parents didn't realise that they were the same name.

I do like Lydia out of the other two names you mentioned OP and it works well with Margaret too.

bettybyebye Sat 13-Aug-16 20:00:23

I think if you like Megan Margaret then go for it. Like pps have said, most people will never hear the full name. My DD is Delilah Margaret which tbh I don't think necessarily go together, BUT Delilah was the first name that DH and I both loved and the Margaret was after my mum and granny. My mum passed away a couple of years ago so there was no way I wasn't going to use it.

And fwiw I think Megan Margaret sounds lovely 😊

SoggyBeachDays Sat 13-Aug-16 20:04:09

Name her Margaret on the BC and call her Meg. Works perfectly smile.

BikeRunSki Sat 13-Aug-16 20:14:52

I love the sound of "Megan Margaret".

cornishglos Sat 13-Aug-16 20:26:07

Thanks for all the comments. I like Lydia Margaret but Lydia doesn't work very well with the sibling names.

Kittykatmacbill Sun 14-Aug-16 20:18:08

Megan Margaret is nice but as pp have posted it is the same name twice. Personally I love the name Margaret and would go with that then you have a plethora of nn to pick from including Meg meggie etc.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 15-Aug-16 05:55:25

I much prefer Margaret nn Meg. Or just Meg on the birth cert.

I don't love the name Megan. (Sorry)

KoalaDownUnder Mon 15-Aug-16 05:56:11

'Sorry' as in not meaning to be rude- I realise you don't care what I love anyway! grin

VashtaNerada Mon 15-Aug-16 06:18:56

It seems odd to me to have the English and the Welsh version together, like Liam William or something. But as long as you're aware that's what it means and still like it, then go for it! (They are definitely the same name, we have a Megan in our family).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now