Letting my mum choose the name?

(10 Posts)
namechangingalltheway Fri 12-Aug-16 23:10:48

Is that really odd. We are just struggling tbh and aren't keen on much anymore, any names we love are not really growing on us now.

Is it odd to let my mum pick? She'd choose Matthew and Matilda... Which are nice, but I seem to really like them because she chose them iyswim? Is it just odd?

neonrainbow Fri 12-Aug-16 23:11:49

Yes.

drinkyourmilk Fri 12-Aug-16 23:12:56

Probably no odder than naming your child after a relative.
My mum is going to be at the birth, along with my husband. Many people think that's odd- but I want it that way

Primaryteach87 Fri 12-Aug-16 23:13:54

Very unusual but absolutely not a problem if you and your husband/partner are happy with it.

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Fri 12-Aug-16 23:14:59

It doesn't really matter who originally suggested the name you go for as long as you are happy with your choice

It's certainly no more odd than choosing a name because an anonymous bunch of people on MN told you to!

TeaPleaseLouise Fri 12-Aug-16 23:16:12

Well, it's more suggestions you've accepted because you like them than handing over the decision to her, so normal.

If she said Tequila Sunrise namechangingallthewaySurname you'd presumably veto it wink

Chillywhippet Fri 12-Aug-16 23:18:47

IT would still be your choice, just inspired by what your mum likes

Twoseventhsaweasley Sat 13-Aug-16 23:36:02

My MIL chose our youngest child's name. We were struggling to choose and MIL is the kindest and loveliest Grandma to our children so it felt right.

As long as you like the name then go for it. It makes a nice little story to tell the child as well.

DearMrDilkington Sat 13-Aug-16 23:36:53

I love Matildagrin

MrsGsnow18 Sun 14-Aug-16 10:00:10

Ultimately you are deciding on her suggestion and you like the names so that seems reasonable and sweet imo.

It's not like you've said she can name the child when it arrives and it's going to be a surprise for you ( that might be risky)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now