Noa and Marlowe

(66 Posts)
Seekingmiracles Thu 11-Aug-16 07:29:26

I know the general consensus on these names on MN will be that they're hideous - BUT I love them both.
Some friends have 'stolen' our name - when I say that, I do say it with jest. DH and I had both settled on Thea pretty much and then asked our friends (due 7weeks before us) if they had any thoughts about names and low and behold.... THEA!
So these are new names to the list... I think they're quite cool, without being too weird.

PotteringAlong Thu 11-Aug-16 07:32:50

I don't like Marlowe (it looks like it's spelt wrongly to me) but I do like Noa. Might be a bit odd if you have no Israeli connections?

KnockMeDown Thu 11-Aug-16 07:35:09

Hmm, Thea is a girl's name, but when I read the thread title, I immediately thought boy. Have I got that wrong?

Ca55andraMortmain Thu 11-Aug-16 07:39:18

I have a Thea and I love Marlowe. I like Noa too but people would always hear the boy's name Noah and think your DD was a boy. Depends how much that bothers you really.

junebirthdaygirl Thu 11-Aug-16 07:42:52

Nao is also a girls name pronounced Nayo. Like the beginning of Naomi. Agree about the boys name Noah sounding very like Noa so it could be confusing. I don't like Marlowe.

Seekingmiracles Thu 11-Aug-16 07:46:33

I know they are both quite masculine names... And I get that there might be some odd looks but that doesn't bother me.
Didn't even know Noa was Israeli blush - just heard it and thought it was pretty like the old cacherel perfume! Ha!
Really annoying because I do LOVE Thea! Damn!

PotteringAlong Thu 11-Aug-16 07:48:44

No, it's definitely an Israeli name! 😊

PeterRabbitt Thu 11-Aug-16 07:52:01

Marlowe is the girls name I always wanted. 3 boys later I've accepted it's not going to get used!

WaitrosePigeon Thu 11-Aug-16 07:53:48

I really like both names.

My son has a Noa in his class and she's a lovely girl.

wigglesrock Thu 11-Aug-16 09:29:16

I really like Noa - I think its a beautiful name. I like the idea of Marlowe but its just a step too far for me, a bit "try hard" , too cool for school kind of idea. I can't really explain it better grin, I'd probably roll my eyes if I heard it but secretly be dying of jealousy!

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 11-Aug-16 09:51:55

Noa is also the Welsh spelling for Noah, though not often seen in South Wales. I think because of the overwhelming popularity of Noah people will assume your daughter is a boy and that you have chosen a "unique" spelling, which might get on your nerves.

That said, I prefer it to Marlowe which feels very of the moment trendy.

Artandco Thu 11-Aug-16 09:55:24

I have a friend called Marlo instead of Marlowe. It suits her

Similar vain of Thea, what about Thalia

Loyly Thu 11-Aug-16 10:05:37

TBH, I would still use Thea. That said, I think Noa is lovely and prefer the Marlo spelling of Marlowe.

SorenLorensonsInvisibleFriend Thu 11-Aug-16 10:13:36

Have Thea. She's your daughter, sure there are other people in the world with that name. Just check with your friends and say your heart was set on it, isn't it weird, and you hope they're ok with both children having the same name. (Also, if the friendship ever passes or one of you moves away, you'll regret not having the name you really want)

augustusdecimus Thu 11-Aug-16 10:22:25

I also would just use Thea.

One of my best friends is due 5 weeks before us, both expecting DSs, and I've already told him that we've settled on a name and won't be changing it if by some coincidence they use the same name before us! And he said of course, he wouldn't expect us to! No big deal.

squoosh Thu 11-Aug-16 10:45:35

I like Marlowe.

squoosh Thu 11-Aug-16 10:45:56

I also like Marla

Seekingmiracles Thu 11-Aug-16 10:47:20

Oh I couldn't use it, we hadn't mentioned it and it would feel as if we are copying. They're quite close friends too...I'm sure if I said anything they'd be fine, but I wouldn't want our daughter to have the same name as a close friends daughter any way.

helensburgh Thu 11-Aug-16 10:53:49

I'd use Thea. It really doesn't matter your friends are using it , they will be individuals

helensburgh Thu 11-Aug-16 10:54:37

Ooops should have read till end of post sorry

NapQueen Thu 11-Aug-16 10:57:12

Noa is nice but I prefer Nia

Marlowe I'm not keen on as it sort of sounds like Marlon off emmer Dale.

reup Thu 11-Aug-16 11:56:33

I never knew Marlowe was used for girls. I would always associate with a boy. It is my (boy) dogs name.

MrsGsnow18 Thu 11-Aug-16 11:58:39

How is Noa pronounced? ( it is the same as Noah?)

I quite like Marlowe.

minipie Thu 11-Aug-16 12:02:51

I'd use Thea. Lovely name. If it's your favourite then do use it. I didn't use a name because of friends' DD having it, year later they moved away, we are still friends but don't see them often, and another mutual friend used the same name anyway and nobody cared!

If Thea is off, then how about Tia? Too close?

Marlowe is a boy's name IME.
Noa will be assumed to be Noah and a boy.

toadgirl Thu 11-Aug-16 12:03:06

Other girls' names beginning TH:-

Thyamultiple ... of Vietnamese origin ... variant transcription of Thi ... uncommon as a baby girl name ...
Thymaqueen ... of African-Akan origin ... variation of Thema ... infrequently used as a baby name for ...
ThyraThor's fight; light, deity ... a German, Scandinavian, and English name ... variant of Tyra ...
Theresehunter; harvest; guardian; woman ... of Old Greek origin ... used mainly in the French and German ...
Thusaorigin is Old Greek ... variant of Thoosa ... not widely used as a baby name for ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now