Piper

(12 Posts)
nopety Mon 08-Aug-16 17:09:27

Thoughts please

MidnightVelvettheSixth Mon 08-Aug-16 17:12:14

Its very American to me, all I think of is Orange is the New Black & that TV show from a few years back that my grandma used to watch, it was about 3 witches & one of them was called Piper.

Those are my only associations, there are no Pipers in our primary & I know none smile I assume its a girl's name but it could be unisex...

SixFeetUnder Mon 08-Aug-16 17:18:55

I love it and would definitely have used it if I had a girl, was the top of my list.

Quodlibet Mon 08-Aug-16 17:20:51

It might be one of those names - like Skylar - which shoots up the popularity charts for a few years because of a TV show.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 08-Aug-16 17:22:14

American TV show name.

OITNB and the one with the three witches, what was that called?

Jayne266 Mon 08-Aug-16 17:22:49

Makes me think of a old TV show I used to watch called charmed. They had piper, pru, phoebe and paige. I like it, it's different.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 08-Aug-16 17:24:54

I have a pet called Piper and a lot of people struggle with it. I did not expect that at all.

If they aren't struggling with it, they're asking if it's an OITNB reference. It wasn't, but I don't mind that so much.

BendydickCuminsnatch Mon 08-Aug-16 17:27:29

Like it but does make the think of Scream (current Netflix series), OITNB and then Charmed! I don't think those are bad things though!

228agreenend Mon 08-Aug-16 17:27:34

I think of it as an Australien film after an actress called Piper Laurie who starred in a film called Tim, with a very young Mel Gibson.

It's a nice name, similar to the ever popular Harper.

JennyOnAPlate Mon 08-Aug-16 17:27:43

I actually quite like it but I don't think I could use it. A lot of people watch orange is the new black!

LunaLoveg00d Mon 08-Aug-16 17:53:34

Very, very, VERY American. It's not awful awful, but the American-ness would be enough to put me off.

florascotianew Mon 08-Aug-16 18:28:29

Sorry, but where Iive, Piper means a person who plays the bagpipes. It conjures up images of a large hairy man in a kilt, or a strapping but bonny lassie. All in inverted commas, of course.

If not that, then I think of sandpipers and other pretty and tragically threatened shoreline bird species.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now