Name for DD1 - Juno?

(94 Posts)
MrsKoala Sat 06-Aug-16 22:13:40

I am due a little girl in October and already have 2 boys. The boys both have classical names, but that wasn't an intentional theme really. We like a few girls names (most also classical) but Juno is the one which is growing on me the most.

I always like to check a name out on a MN thread in case i'm missing something awful! grin

It's not awful is it? There isn't an infamous serial killer called Juno or summat? I know there was an indy film a while back, but i never saw it. I don't think it was too offensive.

Also we can't think of any middle names to go with it. Any suggestions welcome.

MrsBellefleur Sat 06-Aug-16 22:14:16

I love Juno and it's on my list for this baby.

janethegirl2 Sat 06-Aug-16 22:15:47

Had a dog called Juno, so not sure it's a child's name, don't think it's a good choice for a girl child.

timelytess Sat 06-Aug-16 22:17:05

I kind of know a Juno and we don't like each other.

MrsKoala Sat 06-Aug-16 22:20:28

I also knew someone growing up with a dog called Juno. But i have met loads of people with dogs called my name too (and max and toby etc) and it's fairly normal for a pet/person crossover of some names i think.

celtiethree Sat 06-Aug-16 22:21:45

Don't like it tbh makes me think of sumo.

MrsKoala Sat 06-Aug-16 22:22:15

DH likes Ariel. But i'm not too keen. I do think it's pretty.

BossWitch Sat 06-Aug-16 22:22:32

I like it for a girl, it does remind me of the film juno, the teen pregnancy one, but that will have no relevance to her peers so I say go for it!

MrsKoala Sat 06-Aug-16 22:23:07

Ha! i can't see any connection with sumo, so that's okay for me, i can live with that. grin

MrsKoala Sat 06-Aug-16 22:24:30

My thoughts really Boss - i doubt anyone will really remember the film in years to come.

MrsKoala Sat 06-Aug-16 22:25:48

To the people saying 'for a girl' and 'for a girl child' - do you think it sounds like a boys name? confused

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sat 06-Aug-16 22:26:59

I like it! It is very obviously not a boy's name.

No serial killers as far as I'm aware, just the Roman goddess and the spacecraft. And the film is good grin

DramaAlpaca Sat 06-Aug-16 22:29:06

I love Juno!

Middle names - it would go best with something classic and long I think:

Juno Elizabeth
Juno Isabella
Juno Catherine
Juno Alexandra

MrsKoala Sat 06-Aug-16 22:36:11

One of the names i like which dh said 'hell no' to is Miel.

We both like Antigone, Aurelia, Clemency and Artemis as well <awaits eyebrows being singed off> grin But the boys have Aurelius and Clement as their middle names.

JanuaryJuniper Sat 06-Aug-16 22:43:04

I love the name Juno, it's simple but has a quirky vibe!

Sleeperandthespindle Sat 06-Aug-16 22:45:27

I love it. Also like Junie.

Thingvellir Sat 06-Aug-16 22:50:00

It makes me think of the somewhat depressing film about teenage pregnancy, but as pp said, this is probably not a cultural reference that will withstand the depths of time. It's quite a nice name otherwise.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 06-Aug-16 22:54:06

I think it's gorgeous but it wouldn't go with my last name.
Juno Grace
Juno Pearl
Juno Paige
Juno Elise

NoTractorsAtTheTable Sat 06-Aug-16 22:58:08

Juno, wife of Jupiter - I like it! If it's good enough for NASA, it would be good enough for me...but that might explain why DH veto'd Hubble for DS grin (that was a joke in case anyone thinks otherwise!)

MrsKoala Sat 06-Aug-16 22:58:34

I'm glad the general consensus is it's nice. Thanks all.

The boys names are Lysander and Lucian. I think it goes quite well together...<waits and winces>

SanityClause Sat 06-Aug-16 22:58:54

I love Antigone (Tiggy is a cute NN) and Artemis.

DD1 (17) has a friend called Artemis, and all the DC in her family have classical names, as well.

Juno is nice, but she was two faced. <hmm?>

What about Athena?

Also, I know an Aphroditi. (She is actually Greek, though.)

Chocolateteabag Sat 06-Aug-16 23:02:07

Ooh I love Lysander! (Big JC fan - DS2 has Rupert as a middle name)

Love Juno but I think Antigone pips it for me too

MrsKoala Sat 06-Aug-16 23:03:42

It was Janus that was the 2 faced god iirc.

DH said Athena but i still remember the 80s and the bad art shop with black and white photos of naked men holding babies!

I do like Antigone and Artemis tho.

MrsKoala Sat 06-Aug-16 23:09:05

I had no idea Lysander was a character in JC (was he the man who made husbands jealous? ) till after we named him and a very posh lady said 'oh like the Jilly Cooper books' grin Most people think we named him from Midsummer Nights Dream - but again neither of us has seen or read it. We named him after the Spartan general - both of us studied classical subjects so our names tend to be based on that. It means freer of men. Most of the time it means pain in the arse to me atm! (not really, he is lovely)

raisedbyguineapigs Sat 06-Aug-16 23:14:16

I love Juno and Antigone, but are you going to let her in for a lifetime of 'How do you spell/ pronounce that'? with Antigone. ( Although i know how to pronounce it, so maybe it's ore common than i thought?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now