Scottish sibling name for Logan?

(56 Posts)
Popskipiekin Mon 01-Aug-16 13:07:34

We are expecting our second boy and already have a Logan. We would love another Scottish name. Our surname is two syllables, ending -ie. So far DH and I like Finlay - he would be known as Finn - and are arguing about Cameron which I don't like as it makes me think of David Cameron but I know that's silly blush.
What do you think about Dougal (spelt any number of ways)? and any other ideas? A very good friend's boy is Douglas so I feel I can't use it although I do like it.
Thank you!

ElodieS Mon 01-Aug-16 13:11:56

How about Hamish? I love that one!

Dougal doesn't do it for me, but Doug is a nice nn. I do like Finlay (and Finn) though!

SunnyL Mon 01-Aug-16 13:13:23

Murray?

dotdotdotmustdash Mon 01-Aug-16 13:14:40

Callum, Atholl, Blair, Duncan?

APlaceOnTheCouch Mon 01-Aug-16 13:14:59

I don't like Cameron (for the same reason as you!) and I don't like Dougal because of the Magic Roundabout.
I like Finlay although it is very popular. In our immediate friendship circle there are two.
I also like Torquil; Callum and Kyle.

dotdotdotmustdash Mon 01-Aug-16 13:15:43

Gregor, Craig, Euan, Jamie?

JuneBalloon Mon 01-Aug-16 13:15:45

Lachlan? Lindsay?

parisgellar Mon 01-Aug-16 13:15:50

Ruairidh?

ayeokthen Mon 01-Aug-16 13:23:50

Dougie (as in doogie not duggie) I like, Brodie, Callum, Drew, Eoin, Mac (a bit out there granted), Grant, Lachlan, Lewis, Murray, Struan.

Hariasa Mon 01-Aug-16 13:29:09

Angus, Struan, Fraser, Donald, Andrew, Alistair, Bruce, Malcolm.

DramaInPyjamas Mon 01-Aug-16 13:40:50

I like Rory, or Brodie.

Danglyweed Mon 01-Aug-16 13:44:42

Archie

Popskipiekin Mon 01-Aug-16 13:52:27

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I should have mentioned in OP that we have long-running family middle name of James which DS2 will get so Hamish is out, though I agree it's great.
I am starting to realise that Finlay is popular... sad DS1 is not yet 2 so we aren't mixing with masses and masses of children.
Is the magic roundabout still going? won't it just be people of a certain generation who will make that connection?
Torquil - wow that's a bit left-field (for me) but starting to kind of grow on me!
Lots of the same names coming up - will take the thread to DH and discuss smile

Vajazzler Mon 01-Aug-16 13:52:44

The only Logan I know has a brother named Fergus

Heatherbell1978 Mon 01-Aug-16 13:55:31

I'm expecting #2 and in Scotland. My potentials are Brodie, Callum and Robin.

Heatherbell1978 Mon 01-Aug-16 13:55:37

I'm expecting #2 and in Scotland. My potentials are Brodie, Callum and Robin.

INeedSomeHelp Mon 01-Aug-16 13:56:06

Lorne (might be too similar)
Struan
Finlay
Callum
Ruairaidh
Lewis

APlaceOnTheCouch Mon 01-Aug-16 14:08:18

Yy only old people like me will make the Magic Roundabout connection and then only a tiny percentage would think it was a bad thing! grin

I like Brodie but it's also very popular where we are - there are two in my niece's class.

howyalikedemapples Mon 01-Aug-16 14:11:42

Alasdair?

Popskipiekin Mon 01-Aug-16 15:35:29

Brodie sadly way too similar to our surname but I love it. Callum would go really well. I think Atholl is fab but DH not remotely keen. Maybe I can work on him smile
Alasdair is a lovely name I hadn't actually considered. I see there's at least one thread on MN about the spelling of it so will look into that side.
All other great ideas - maybe there's just too many brilliant Scottish names and that's our problem!
APlaceOnTheCouch haha DH & I weren't around when it aired but we've still heard of it - presumably passed on from our parents - and it is the First thing they said when we tentatively aired Dougal (for DS1). As you say, really not a bad thing - it's a sweet connection really.

florascotianew Mon 01-Aug-16 17:51:05

Dougal/Dougie is too well-known to be linked only with The Magic Roundabout. (That's not a bad thing in my opinion, anyway.) I know more than one Dougal, and all are really nice chaps. There was also Dougal Haston, the famous, charismatic and controversial mountaineer...

I like Torquil. As I'm sure you know, it's Viking-Scottish; a version of the Norse Thorkill.

Several other good names have been mentioned already. There's also Innes, Donal (English version - Gaelic available), Duncan (ditto), Magnus ...

wombthereitis Mon 01-Aug-16 18:53:08

Harris?

TheScottishPlay Mon 01-Aug-16 18:59:58

Andrew, Keir, Kerr, Skene, Gavin, Thane, Lachlan.

wishiwasntme Mon 01-Aug-16 19:14:03

Haven't rtft, but how about Lachlan or Finlay.

marblestatue Mon 01-Aug-16 19:17:42

I really like Dougal, and the Magic Roundabout is a plus not a minus IMO smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now