What do you think of Aubrey for a girl

(72 Posts)
ElsaMars Mon 01-Aug-16 12:52:22

I love Audrey but it just reminds me of Corrie woman not Hepburn sadly grin

I really like Aubrey but is it too American sounding? It's not a American name - I thought it was but I checked.

And does it go with Layla? As a sibling.

Vixxfacee Mon 01-Aug-16 12:53:08

Aubrey does sound American to me.
Audrey is an old womans name to me.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 01-Aug-16 12:53:32

I've only ever heard ut used as a boy's name

ThisPasadenaHomemaker Mon 01-Aug-16 12:54:55

Aca-scuse me?

I think it's awful. Really american and also masculine sounding.

Audrey isn't quite to my taste either but it's infinitely better than Aubrey.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 01-Aug-16 12:55:01

There's an Aubrey on Teen Mom. She's cute. That's the only time that I've heard of it.

WinnieTheW0rm Mon 01-Aug-16 12:55:50

Boys name to me too (our former next door neighbour, lovely man)

HeadDreamer Mon 01-Aug-16 12:56:02

Aubrey is a boy's name isn't it?

NeedACleverNN Mon 01-Aug-16 12:56:32

It's gaining popularity because of teen mom

Along with Paisley

My great uncle was called Aubrey. A friend has just had a baby called Aubree (girl)

I don't mind it but it's heavily American

Fallstar Mon 01-Aug-16 12:56:41

I've only come across Aubrey as a man's name (man in question was elderly). Never heard it as a female name.

NisekoWhistler Mon 01-Aug-16 12:57:13

I know two Aubreys - both blokes

GerundTheBehemoth Mon 01-Aug-16 12:57:24

To me Aubrey is a posh elderly British gentleman. But there is currently a young female American Aubrey on Celeb Big Brother.

ChipsandGuac Mon 01-Aug-16 12:59:16

What's wrong with sounding American?! I know 3 female Aubrey's and they are all American and all lovely. It's a great name.

CheeseCakeSunflowers Mon 01-Aug-16 12:59:31

I have always thought of it as a male name as I use to have an elderly male relation with that name. I only realised this week that it is also a female name as there is a female celebrity big brother housemate called Aubrey in the house at the moment.
I think it is a pretty name for a girl.

MerryMarigold Mon 01-Aug-16 13:00:58

To me also a v posh name for a boy.

If you must use it on a girl, then I think you need to change the spelling never thought I'd say that!

I actually like Audrey (I don't watch Corrie) and is definitely in a different league to Deirdre. Although Orj for short is horrid.

Allalonenow Mon 01-Aug-16 13:01:46

I've only ever heard it as a male name, have known two, both lovely old gents, so I do like the name.
I think if you used it for a girl, she would often get asked if her name was Audrey.

MerryMarigold Mon 01-Aug-16 13:02:07

(I think of Audrey Tatou).

DesolateWaist Mon 01-Aug-16 13:02:14

Aubrey is a male name but that doesn't seemed to have stopped all the Tonis, Sydneys and Robyns. although it should in my opinion

Babymouse Mon 01-Aug-16 13:02:16

I knew a little Aubrey. I think it's a cute name.

HeadDreamer Mon 01-Aug-16 13:06:46

Aubrey is a male name but that doesn't seemed to have stopped all the Tonis, Sydneys and Robyns.

If there are enough girls calling themselves Aubrey, then it's a girls name. It's just I've always thought of it as a old man's name. And I don't have a problem with changing usage as long as she's not going to be mistaken as a boy. Like calling your girl Ben or Oliver.

ayeokthen Mon 01-Aug-16 13:08:58

Aubrey is traditionally a male name, however people seem to forget that Shannon, Morgan, Jordan, Riley, Taylor and lots of other names started out as boys names. I like Aubrey for a girl fwiw.

HeadDreamer Mon 01-Aug-16 13:11:03

ayeokthen I think of Taylor as a boy's name still, except there's a Taylor Swift. Same with Jordan.

I can't recall a female Riley hmm

BertrandRussell Mon 01-Aug-16 13:12:47

It's a not very nice boy's name.

MaisieDotes Mon 01-Aug-16 13:13:22

anchor I think she's Aubree.

TuppencePenny Mon 01-Aug-16 13:13:43

Sounds like a man's name. Brings to mind an American boxer or something like that. In short- it's terrible.

BertrandRussell Mon 01-Aug-16 13:14:00

So if you would be equally happy to call a boy Susan, then go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now