Sibling nicknames

(11 Posts)
CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Sun 31-Jul-16 17:10:06

I'm pregnant and thinking of names for dc2.

Already have a ds called Oscar.

If dc2 is a girl my dh and I both love Isobel. For a few days I thought "great, we have a girls name decided".

Then, I realised that they may end up called Ozzie and Izzy by their friends. shockconfused

So, does this combination sound ridiculous? Honest opinions appreciated. Thanks all.

Raines100 Sun 31-Jul-16 17:55:41

I know an Oscar with a sister called Isabelle. They are known as Oscar and Isabelle. The Ozzy/Izzy thing has never occurred to me.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Sun 31-Jul-16 18:06:25

Thanks Raines

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Mon 01-Aug-16 20:07:01

Anyone else? Honest opinions welcome - don't be shy smile

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Mon 01-Aug-16 20:12:32

I know quite a few oscars and have never known one be nicknamed Ozzie, if that helps.

PterodactylToenails Mon 01-Aug-16 20:40:31

I know two Oscar's who go by Oskie because their parent's didn't like the nn Ozzie!

PterodactylToenails Mon 01-Aug-16 20:43:41

I like Belle as a NN for Isobel - Oskie and Izzy or Ozzie and Belle!

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Mon 01-Aug-16 21:09:56

I like Oskie as a NN, I really don't like Ozzie - so will be trying to steer any NN's away from Ozzie grin

sugarplumfairy28 Thu 04-Aug-16 22:02:36

Slightly off topic, I have a dog called Oscar, and somehow in having a dog you have a little more freedom to call them ridiculous nicknames, having said that though (other than my Dad calling him Baron Otto Von Humpin) Oscar is just not something that shortens or evolves into anything else very easily. Oscar has been and at 9 years old I think always will be, Oscar. HTH

NuffSaidSam Fri 05-Aug-16 17:05:18

Ozzie is not really a common nickname for Oscar though, so very easily avoidable I would have thought.

You may end up with Oscar and Izzy, but Ozzie and Izzy seems unlikely.

Ozzie and Izzy is actually quite sweet I think (as nicknames, would be awful as given names). It sounds like a Cbeebies program.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Fri 05-Aug-16 23:39:14

Thanks everyone smile

I'm feeling a bit better now about the combination.

Picking baby names is hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now