views on double barrelled first names

(54 Posts)
holzyb20 Wed 27-Jul-16 15:59:58

What's your views on double barrelled first names for a girl a friend of mine has made me question myself by tellin me it's stupid

Whatslovegottodo Wed 27-Jul-16 16:01:42

No it is not stupid. It has a long tradition. I think some names lean themselves to it a lot more than others though. First rule is never tell anyone in real life your name plans wink

Whatslovegottodo Wed 27-Jul-16 16:02:33

We can help though if you want to share the name for anonymous opinions. If you love it and it isn't made up and won't lead the child to ridicule - use it!

GoldPlatedBacon Wed 27-Jul-16 16:04:54

On Mn Anne-Marie and Sarah-Jane are acceptable. Lily-Rose and Ellie-May are not. I don't make these rules grin

Choose a name(s) you love and don't tell anyone until after the birth.

DramaAlpaca Wed 27-Jul-16 16:07:45

If you like the name that's all that matters.

holzyb20 Wed 27-Jul-16 16:10:08

What do you think of

Avarie-Belle

Madbengalmum Wed 27-Jul-16 16:11:41

Sounds lke aviary, ie a bird house to me.is it supposed to?

eyebrowsonfleek Wed 27-Jul-16 16:13:47

I think that your biggest problem may be that most people in the UK spell Avarie as Avery. (I'm assuming that the prounciation is the same)

holzyb20 Wed 27-Jul-16 16:14:02

Yes it's what my friend said too.

eyebrowsonfleek Wed 27-Jul-16 16:17:11

www.hellomagazine.com/healthandbeauty/mother-and-baby/2016072532573/dani-harmer-introduces-baby-hello-exclusive/

Is this your baby?

shumway Wed 27-Jul-16 16:17:50

Are you Tracy Beaker?

LemonBreeland Wed 27-Jul-16 16:19:36

LOL at are you Tracy Beaker. I don't like hyphenated first names and never have. I just don't like the sound of them.

holzyb20 Wed 27-Jul-16 16:20:11

Oh wow! I'm not entirely sure who that is but I've loved the name for years I had a miscarriage 3 years ago and that was my name if it was a girl.

For a boy I like william or Dexter

That1950sMum Wed 27-Jul-16 16:20:20

Cripes!
Listen to your friend grin

LadyLayLay Wed 27-Jul-16 16:21:59

Avarie-Belle is awful. Really twee

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Wed 27-Jul-16 16:26:22

"I'm not entirely sure who that is"

Tracey Beaker? Central character in Jackie Wilson books and several series of CBBC programmes. The actress who played her announced her baby's name in 'Hello' 2 days ago.

Scarydinosaurs Wed 27-Jul-16 16:26:58

Marie-Belle is prettier, I think- and keeps to the same 'sound' without the initial trip of that soft first syllable, whereas Avarie-Belle sounds a little iambic.

I used a double barrelled first name, which I ummmed and ahhhed about. I'm glad we did and I really love the name, and have had lots of positive comments on it. You can't please everyone with your name choices, it only really matters if it pleases you.

GummyBunting Wed 27-Jul-16 16:27:36

I don't know any grown ups who introduce themselves with both of their first hyphenated names, they just use the first.

It's kind of cute for a child (if that's your thing) but I think a bit twee and embarrassing on an adult.

holzyb20 Wed 27-Jul-16 16:32:33

I also like Ava-leigh?

Beanzmeanzcoffee Wed 27-Jul-16 16:33:48

I don't really like double barrelled names but that's particularly bad. I can't imagine any adult introducing themselves as that. Actually I think they'd be embarrassed by it after age 5 or so.

Woodenmouse Wed 27-Jul-16 16:35:50

Sorry I don't really like Averie-Belle. Belle is lovely on its owm though. I have a Dexter!!

DollyBarton Wed 27-Jul-16 16:35:57

Because you are asking, I actively dislike double barrel first names. I don't really know why but they sound really twee and trashy to me. Wishy washy or something. Not a name for a strong girl. Especially if it includes Rose or Mae or Belle.

But if you like it, that's all that matters. With such an out-there choice I'd also avoid asking people's opinions on it because you will get some strong negative reactions. Once people meet your child the name is less abstract and they'll get used to it whatever their first reaction so honestly it only matters that you like it.

NavyandWhite Wed 27-Jul-16 17:40:37

Hate them sorry.

notamummy10 Wed 27-Jul-16 17:54:47

Avarie-Belle is a lovely name (slightly biased as I know Dani)!! Avarie means elf counsel... Quite fitting really as both Dani and her partner like LOTR/The Hobbit etc. Hang on, are you the person who mentioned that's the name you want for your daughter on the Facebook post that Hello published a couple of days ago?

notamummy10 Wed 27-Jul-16 17:58:49

Oh Dani's daughter's name got announced last month after she was born. The article from Hello this week was her 'first' photos to introduce her to the world!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now