Boy Name Help!

(19 Posts)
babyinthacorner Wed 27-Jul-16 12:12:35

I can't find a boy's name that I love. Well I can, but can't use them for various reasons!

Names I love but can't have:
Keir
Gabriel
Ethan
Jesse

Names on shortlist:
Lucas
Luca
Raphael - nn Rafa/Rafi

Our surname is short and can be a Christian name - rhymes with keen! So that can be quite tricky - don't really want a name that could be a surname as DH often gets called by our surname at doctors/hospital etc and hates it.

I'm arguing that if we can't find a name we both love, then I'd like to use a family name - Harry or Michael - although DH is vehemently against the latter as it's been used on both sides, several times on mine. And Harry's a bit too popular - and the name of our neighbour's dog!!!

I've trawled and trawled name lists and so think our final shortlist is just that. But thought I'd pass it over to the power of MN for a bit of outside perspective. Please give your opinions!

dizzyfucker Wed 27-Jul-16 12:17:48

I like the names on your shortlist. Especially Lucas. Raphael is nice. Not so sure about Luca if you have a one syllable surname.

dizzyfucker Wed 27-Jul-16 12:19:04

But how about a classic name that's due a come back. Sonething like Richard.

Ilikegin Wed 27-Jul-16 12:22:56

I like all the names but think Gabriel (gabe) "keen" and Lucas "keen" work really well! Both names were on my shortlist for a boy! smile

babyinthacorner Wed 27-Jul-16 12:23:13

Thanks! The only problem with Lucas is that it's a surname, so we get the first name/surname problem. Richard's also a family name... quite like Dicky as a nn though smile

babyinthacorner Wed 27-Jul-16 12:24:26

I'd LOVE Gabriel - especially as I'm due in December. But close friends already have a Dec born Gabriel and DH won't have it...

dizzyfucker Wed 27-Jul-16 12:27:09

How about Fabien, Reuben and Rowan. Those are similarish names to Gabriel and Raphael.

Ilikegin Wed 27-Jul-16 14:52:48

Sorry I didn't read properly it was already on your no list! sad
How about Nathaniel (Nate) or Samuel?

GoldPlatedBacon Wed 27-Jul-16 16:07:40

I really love your shortlist, I'd choose Lucas.

babyinthacorner Wed 27-Jul-16 16:12:07

Thanks all - like Nathaniel but Nate wouldn't work with our surname. Also love Samuel, but DH has vetoed...
Rowan's now an option - will put it to DH.
Lucas is getting more and more points! smile

NavyandWhite Wed 27-Jul-16 16:22:46

Cassius has a softness that Gabriel has.

CPtart Wed 27-Jul-16 16:43:17

Lots of Lucas' about. Prefer Luke tbh. Dislike Luca and Raphael.
How about Rafferty, Lawrence, Christian, Evan, Zachary?

Chelsea26 Wed 27-Jul-16 17:06:03

Rory? Gregor? Douglas?

rosegoldie Wed 27-Jul-16 17:08:29

How about Henry instead of Harry?

dizzyfucker Wed 27-Jul-16 19:39:20

Also Emanuel, Ezekiel, Caio or Caius

AspiringMother Wed 27-Jul-16 20:06:35

I like Lucas. We are considering Noah and Jonah if we are having a boy.

AspiringMother Wed 27-Jul-16 20:07:02

Luca sounds really sweet too. smile

Raines100 Thu 28-Jul-16 07:03:45

Like Luca and Lucas. I know a couple of Raphaëls, the name works well for them. One is Raffa and the other is Rafe. Rafe Dean sounds pretty fantastic.
I know Lucas can be a surname and could give rise to "is it Lucas Dean or Dean Lucas", but it's not as bad as calling him Miller or something, where he would invariable get called Dean Miller.

babyinthacorner Thu 28-Jul-16 11:45:22

Raines how on earth did you work out my surname??? wink
Thanks everyone, think it's definitely going to be one of our shortlist names, which is very helpful in itself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now