Thoughts on the name Michael?

(55 Posts)
wishingonastaramillion Sun 24-Jul-16 00:30:04

I'm unsure... I like it, but then I don't. Thoughts?

Dizzybintess Sun 24-Jul-16 00:33:41

It's my husbands name. I like it
It will inevitably get shortened to Mike
It's not so common any more so that's a bonus

DramaAlpaca Sun 24-Jul-16 00:36:41

Lovely name.

It's an underused classic.

PotatoBread Sun 24-Jul-16 00:37:01

It's a very popular name for men aged 35-55 here in Ireland. Personally I wouldn't call a baby that name as I find it a bit blah though a friend recently named her DS that and it didn't raise any eyebrows.

BusyNothings Sun 24-Jul-16 00:38:48

My brother is Michael. He has always been Mickey to the family but he gets his mates to call him Mike.

CointreauVersial Sun 24-Jul-16 00:41:25

My DH's name (Irish!)
And FIL's.....and DSDad's.....and my cousin's......and DH's cousin's....

Overused in this family! I don't like it much; particularly hate Mike (although DH is always Michael).

I don't think it works on a youngster.

KanyesVest Sun 24-Jul-16 01:01:12

I've one who is 4 smile. His uncle has always been Michael at home and Mick to his friends.

Eigg Sun 24-Jul-16 01:03:23

I know an 8 yo Michael. He's lovely. No one shortens it at the moment.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 24-Jul-16 01:24:38

Gorgeous and Mike is a fab nn.
Not so heard of now, either

CharminglyGawky Sun 24-Jul-16 01:38:33

Love it, is a name on my list and was my grandfather's name which is one of the main reasons I want to use it. I'm not loving Mike as a nickname but I know it would be unavoidable so I'm still thinking about it!

caju Sun 24-Jul-16 02:08:19

It's the one "traditional" name that I like. I just think it's a strong, classic name.

squoosh Sun 24-Jul-16 02:14:15

It's considered very Catholic. That's why it's never been a classic name in the UK in the way that John or James are.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 24-Jul-16 05:24:15

I've never liked Michael. I'm not sure why. I put it in the same category as Andrew, Steven, Christopher, David, all of which I do like.

Jenny70 Sun 24-Jul-16 06:02:55

We have a Michael (aged 9), and there aren't many around his age group. We liked Mick, Mickey or Mike as shortening, but he strongly likes it as Michael...

I like that it is classic, but not commonly used - nothing worse than having 5 children with the same name in a class/park etc. Cue much confusion!

I think it isn't so much a baby name or toddler name, but as child/teen/adult I think it is very strong and they grow into it.

Destinysdaughter Sun 24-Jul-16 06:06:55

Lovely classic name. Shame it always seems to get shortened tho. Mike and Mick, not so good!

lljkk Sun 24-Jul-16 06:15:48

What aren't you sure about, OP?
It's an overused classic. Literally the most common name of last 70 yrs.

Eminybob Sun 24-Jul-16 06:44:55

It's DS's middle name, in honour of my father. We didn't have to use it, iyswim, but I like it and felt that it's nice enough for DS to use if he decides he doesn't like his first name.

Ankleswingers Sun 24-Jul-16 06:54:49

"My name is Michael Caine"...grin

Sorry op, couldn't resist. I am being veh immature and not helpful.

Re the actual name I could take it or leave it really. It is a popular and strong name that's been around for years.

Mclaren37 Sun 24-Jul-16 07:04:47

How people can say it's unusual these days is beyond me. Ok there aren't many babies with that given name, but literally every third man is called Mikesmile. And we all live in the same world. My husband and a whole bunch of my friends dads are called Michael/Mike. Sorry but to me it's just way over used and way too out of date. Like Dave or Steve....

Sophronia Sun 24-Jul-16 07:21:00

I love it, it is underused on babies/children nowadays

BitOutOfPractice Sun 24-Jul-16 07:38:27

I love it too thinks wistfully of teenage boyfriend Michael

Several Michaels in my (Catholic) family they are Michael, Mike or Miko (pronounced My-Ko)

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sun 24-Jul-16 07:52:57

It's an overused classic. Literally the most common name of last 70 yrs.

Really? It was very popular in the USA during the 20th century but I didn't think it was ever as popular in the UK. I love it, especially when it isn't shortened. I know a few Michaels/Mikes/Micks and they certainly aren't all Catholic or of Irish extraction. I do, however, tend to think first of Michael Corleone, because The Godfather is my favourite film. Not perhaps an ideal role model, but my word, Al Pacino was easy on the eye 40+ years ago. Ahem.

scrivette Sun 24-Jul-16 08:07:44

It is my Dad's name, my cousins name and my son's middle name.
I think it's a classic name and he could be Mikey if you wanted a nickname as it does seem quite grown up for a tiny baby.

stabbybitch Sun 24-Jul-16 08:29:42

I have one who's nearly 2. I call him mick others call him mickey. He doesn't know his names Michael tho he's never been called it, he's named after DP dad.

Strawclutching Sun 24-Jul-16 08:40:48

Love it. It was on our boys name list both times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now