Harrison or Charlie?

(46 Posts)
LemonShizzleCake Thu 21-Jul-16 13:59:33

Expecting our first baby in November, found out recently it's a boy so that's helpfully narrowed down the name search.

DH and I both like Harrison and Charlie, and are yet to find any other names we both agree on. Our thoughts on each:

Harrison
- bit unusual without being "out there"
- could shorten to Harry if we/he wanted
- potentially a bit posh...? Maybe my imagination.

Charlie
- is it a bit overused? Does it matter if there end up being 3 Charlies in his class at school?
- would be Charles on birth certificate. We'd use Charlie most of the time, but we'd/he'd have the option of a more "serious" name when needed.

We think both names go well with the middle name we've chosen (Arthur) and sound "right" with our surname. Neither of them spell anything weird/rude as initials! Also they are both (hopefully) easy/obvious spellings - I have spent my life with an awkwardly spelled first name, so don't want to inflict that on my child if I can avoid it.

Would be great to get opinions on both please! smile

RiverTam Thu 21-Jul-16 14:01:56

Harrison.

NickNacks Thu 21-Jul-16 14:02:36

Harrison

Dontlikejam Thu 21-Jul-16 14:04:06

Harrison is a massively popular name round these parts- might not matter to you but its on a par with Charlie in terms of frequency.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Thu 21-Jul-16 14:04:59

Charlie

SpeakNoWords Thu 21-Jul-16 14:05:02

I was a teacher up until fairly recently. Harrison was a fairly frequent name in the area where i taught, I wouldn't have classed it as unusual tbh. It definitely wasn't a posh name. When you include all the Harrys as well, you might have several in a class

Charlie again fairly frequently used, I came across quite a few. I think it's sensible to use Charles on the birth certificate as it does give flexibility when the child is older. I think I prefer Charlie over Harrison overall.

Dontlikejam Thu 21-Jul-16 14:05:12

Also, just thought: Charles Arthur is Prince Charles name - people might think you're big fans!

LemonShizzleCake Thu 21-Jul-16 14:06:06

Ooh thanks Dontlike - is there a way of searching for popular names by area, or do I just need to collect anecdotal evidence? I'm in SE London if that makes a difference.

Luckystar1 Thu 21-Jul-16 14:08:22

Charlie. I am really not a fan of Harrison (sorry!) and I would consider it to be the opposite of posh (sorry again!)

ifcatscouldtalk Thu 21-Jul-16 14:09:37

I love the name harrison. Hmm but then i know a charlie who really suits being a charlie. I'm no help! Maybe decide once his born. He may stand out as one or the other. Gd luck.

SpeakNoWords Thu 21-Jul-16 14:09:53

Baby names by region:

http://www.bounty.com/pregnancy-and-birth/baby-names/baby-names-regional

Porcupinetree Thu 21-Jul-16 14:31:52

Harrison.

cosmicglittergirl Thu 21-Jul-16 14:36:22

Charles

UntilTheCowsComeHome Thu 21-Jul-16 14:38:23

Harrison.

I don't like Charles or Charlie.

Tiggeryoubastard Thu 21-Jul-16 14:38:41

Harrison 'posh'? It's the complete opposite. I'm stunned anyone could think it. Charles MN Charlie is fine.

Tubbyinthehottub Thu 21-Jul-16 14:39:11

Harrison is not posh confused

TinySalmon Thu 21-Jul-16 14:44:24

Harrison isn't posh but I prefer it to Charlie as a name.

Like PP suggested maybe wait till he is born and see which name he suits better smile

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Thu 21-Jul-16 14:46:58

I would also put Charles on the BC btw. Just so he has the option to use Charlie or Charles if he prefers.

hilbil21 Thu 21-Jul-16 14:48:31

I've got a Charlie - I also like Harrison. I think it depends what sounds best with surname to be honest

KoalaDownUnder Thu 21-Jul-16 14:54:14

Charles nn Charlie. Love.

To my mind, Charlie and Harrison are completely different kinds of names. And no, Harrison is not posh at all - more in the Jackson/Dylan/Tyler kind of camp, I would have thought.

ChunkyMonkey4321 Thu 21-Jul-16 14:56:35

Harrison's a great name for reasons you've mentioned 😉

Bit sad people think it's a bit chavvy but then names get popular and are used be all sorts of people

marblestatue Thu 21-Jul-16 14:58:51

Charles, nn Charlie.

Harry is a nice nickname for Henry, but Harrison is part of the trend for surnames as first names, which I'm not keen on.

Sophronia Thu 21-Jul-16 15:13:03

Charles nn Charlie

Coconutty Thu 21-Jul-16 15:14:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

skatesection Thu 21-Jul-16 15:15:17

Harrison is a character in a cartoon I like
nedroid.com/2009/08/harrisons-boring-life/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now