Are these names very similar?

(20 Posts)
MrBoot Wed 06-Jul-16 00:48:30

We have shortlisted the name Tamsin and I mentioned it to a friend this evening.. She hummed a little and said she didn't know anybody with this name but knew a couple of Tegans/Teagans. (unsure how to spell it).

I know both names begin with a T and end with N but I wouldn't have thought they were very similar as in I think of Tamsin as an old type name and Tegan as a modern name.

I asked DH tonight and he has now said that as he doesn't like the name Tegan, we shouldn't use the name Tamsin.

The thing is that was our frontrunner though.

DamsonGinIsMyThing Wed 06-Jul-16 00:52:20

I don't think they're particularly that similar.
I know a Tamsin, she goes by Tammy. She's also one of the kindest people I've ever met.

MrsJoeyMaynard Wed 06-Jul-16 00:57:32

I wouldn't have called them very similar - okay, they start and end with the same letters, but the entire middle of the name has a different sound.

jobrum Wed 06-Jul-16 00:58:32

Tamsin is great, its on my list. You have good taste! Very different 'sorts' of names. Both two ayllables and start with T but I think those are the only similarities. Also don't like Teagan.

LowAMH Wed 06-Jul-16 01:31:55

They are completely different. Don't let it put you off.

AGBforever Wed 06-Jul-16 02:59:16

Not at all similar but I would say that Tamsin is classless and classy whereas Tegan is very....'new'

VioletBam Wed 06-Jul-16 03:00:53

Tegan is along the same lines as Regan. Nothing like Tamsin.

OlennasWimple Wed 06-Jul-16 03:03:55

No. Only like Susannah and Sarah, or Peter and Roger. I wouldn't call my two twins those names, but they really aren't that similar that you should be put off

julfin Wed 06-Jul-16 04:48:59

They are in totally different classes of name. Nothing alike aside from the first and last letter, and they are such very different names (ie a completely different feel to them) that I wouldn't even have noticed that small similarity. Tamsin is much nicer. Go for it.

Sophronia Wed 06-Jul-16 08:52:49

They are very different names.

TwirlyHoos Wed 06-Jul-16 12:07:37

Maybe Tamsin is on your friend's future baby name list and she's trying to put you off wink

I wouldn't say they were similar at all. And Tamsin is lovely!

MrBoot Wed 06-Jul-16 14:19:08

Thanks for all your comments. I didn't think they were alike either.

I don't think she said it because it is on her own list. As far as I know she isn't planning any more children.

I wish I had not mentioned it to DH as he is really doubting using Tamsin now.

DramaAlpaca Thu 07-Jul-16 00:20:23

They are totally different names. And Tamsin is lovely, as is the spelling Tamzin.

I'm not so keen on Tegan.

DetestableHerytike Thu 07-Jul-16 00:28:18

Very different!

mathanxiety Thu 07-Jul-16 04:24:33

Very different in every respect.

BombusBombus80 Thu 07-Jul-16 16:54:16

My name is Tamsin! FYI and FWIW it's Cornish, and it's short for Thomasina. It's got a bit of history, whereas 'Tegan' is much more modern. The 'Tamzin' spelling is a modern version, but I think mostly from people who don't know its origin. Anyway, I like it, but then I guess I would...

NataliaOsipova Thu 07-Jul-16 16:57:31

Not similar at all! Don't understand that!

MrBoot Thu 07-Jul-16 20:56:21

Hi again, yes I know it's meaning and where the name originated but it is a name in its own right soI wouldn't put Thomasina on the birth certificate as I don't particularly like it.

Tegan is more modern, to be honest I dislike the name so hearing Tamsin being grouped beside it is off putting.

HeteronormativeHaybales Fri 08-Jul-16 07:10:24

Tamsin is lovely and unusual and nothing like Tegan.

I've always thought I would be really tempted to call boy/girl twins Thomas and Tamsin blush

Crunchymum Fri 08-Jul-16 19:17:58

I don't get why someone saying Teagan is 'common' (paraphrasing) has put the OP's DH off Tamsin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now