Opinions on our list please

(13 Posts)
zazie7 Fri 01-Jul-16 19:52:52

Hi, I am 18 weeks pregnant with our first baby and struggling with names. I used to love thinking about names in the abstract before I was pregnant but it seems a lot more difficult now there is a real baby to name! Would appreciate any suggestions as well for names in a similar style. Middle names would be Elizabeth or Thomas after family unless we decide to use these as first names.

Girls:
Clara
Matilda
Elizabeth (we would plan on using Elsa or Eliza as a nickname)
Josephine

Boys:
James
Thomas
Samuel
Benjamin
Theodore (Theo)

NavyAndWhite Fri 01-Jul-16 20:05:43

I love Elizabeth and Matilda.
What about Eleanor, Anna, Alice, Florence, Thea?

James is nice, I like Samuel nn Sam too.

katiegg Fri 01-Jul-16 20:09:53

Clara Elizabeth is gorgeous! I like Matilda and Elizabeth/Eliza too, not so keen on Josephine.

Your boys names are great, I like them all but my favourites are James and Benjamin. I like Benjamin Thomas.

Thomas/Tom is on my list, also 18 weeks pregnant smile

AnnaMarlowe Fri 01-Jul-16 20:14:37

Any if these would be lovely. Great list!

NavyAndWhite Fri 01-Jul-16 20:15:20

Beatrice
Lucinda
Martha
Constance
Cecily
Cassia
Arabella
India

Henry
William
Patrick
Cassius
Magnus.

Just a few of my favourite names.

Pipilangstrumpf Fri 01-Jul-16 21:28:48

I like Clara and Josephine.

I find the boys names a little dull/common in comparison.

Pipilangstrumpf Fri 01-Jul-16 21:30:02

Love Navy's suggestions of Lucinda, Cecily, Cassius and Magnus. Or how about Rufus or Quentin?

HeyMicky Fri 01-Jul-16 21:32:08

I have both an Eliza and a Josephine (Posey). They get loads of compliments. Elizabeth has plenty of nicknames too

NavyAndWhite Fri 01-Jul-16 21:33:02

Posy is gorgeous!

Liz09 Fri 01-Jul-16 21:37:29

My name is Elizabeth, so I'm slightly biased. wink I would just say, though, that it's likely she'll get Liz/Lizzy as a default nickname by a lot of people (I always have, despite my family either using my full name or calling me Liza, like Liza Minnelli).

I LOVE Josephine. Josie is so gosh darn cute.

Of your boys names... I can hardly choose a favourite. Samuel is the front runner on my own list, and James and Thomas were both considerations. I've known a couple of Theo's born lately, so if popularity is something you're trying to avoid, that might be something to consider? Overall, I do have a soft spot for Thomas and Samuel... but I love the nickname Jimmy (James). Sorry, that was no help at all. smile

Bigfam Fri 01-Jul-16 21:43:29

I LOVE Josephine. Josie is so gosh darn cute.

Liz09 got to agree with you there! wink

Clara Elizabeth is beautiful.
Boys names, from your list, Samuel then Theo.

zazie7 Sat 02-Jul-16 11:32:19

Thank you so much for the comments and suggestions. NavyWhite, I really like Anna and William. I love Eleanor too but don't think it sounds right with Elizabeth.

Congrats on your pregnancy, katiegg!

Pipilangstrumpf, I know what you mean about the boys' names being more popular than the girls' names. I'd prefer something not as popular really but struggling to find something we both love further down the charts and would rather pick a common name we love than a less common name we are only lukewarm on. Boys' names do seem more difficult though.

Again thank you to everyone for the comments. We're not sharing our lists with friends and family so it's really good to get some external views!

Angelsandmagnets Sat 02-Jul-16 20:52:45

For the girls...
Clara is nice, but I don't really like the others, Mathilda and especially Josephine are old sounding and not in a good way. Elizabeth is meh- if you choose Elsa or Eliza make those the actual name, as they are much prettier!

For the boys...
Thomas and Benjamin (but not shortened to 'Ben', bleurgh) are both ok, not so keen on the others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now