Dorothy?

(33 Posts)
RavenclawWriter Sun 26-Jun-16 10:41:41

DH says he loves the name Dorothy after his grandmother, who practically raised him. I like it but I wonder if it's too old fashioned. I like Dorothea for the nicknames Dora and Thea but that's even more old fashioned. Thoughts?

VioletBam Sun 26-Jun-16 13:46:07

Our thoughts don't matter a bit. It's what YOU want that matters.

Your DH might love the name but if you don't, then I wouldn't go there.

cosmicglittergirl Sun 26-Jun-16 13:50:31

I think it's a lovely name.

LaceyLee Sun 26-Jun-16 13:52:28

I don't think it's old fashioned. Been around a long time, fell out of fashion but 'vintage' names are popular now eg Florence, Edith, Daisy etc. I like Dorothy and also the nickname dolly. And it's got a nice meaning for your DH.

allegretto Sun 26-Jun-16 13:53:46

I love it but dh vetoed it as he said it was too much of a nun's name confused

timelytess Sun 26-Jun-16 13:54:52

Everyone will want to be a friend of Dorothy.
Go for it.

RavenclawWriter Sun 26-Jun-16 14:07:27

Ooh glad there's a lot of people who like it! Is Dorothea too much? Or can I still use the nicknames Dora and Thea with Dorothy?

Lovefromhull Sun 26-Jun-16 14:08:37

Like the name. Dot for nickname

madmother1 Sun 26-Jun-16 14:10:39

I'd call her Dotty as her nickname. It's really cute Dorothy.

1horatio Sun 26-Jun-16 14:49:13

I really like Dorothea. Plus, it would still honour your DH's granny.

cecilelliott Sun 26-Jun-16 14:58:51

I love Dorothy! And I love Dora (and all - ora names I'm fact! Flora/Cora/Laura)

PeterandJudithSurname Sun 26-Jun-16 16:00:26

My headmistress's first name. I think it's due a comeback and has great nickname options.

HooseRice Sun 26-Jun-16 16:03:36

I don't like it. There's a kid nearby called Dorothy. Very old fashioned and not in a good way like Elizabeth or Isabella.

ImSoVeryTired Sun 26-Jun-16 16:12:05

Personally I love both the names you mentioned. You also have the option of Dotty and Doro as nicknames.

Pemba Sun 26-Jun-16 16:29:37

In a world full of little Arthurs, Elsies and Florences, how can Dorothy be 'too old-fashioned'? It's much nicer than any of the above, IMO. Surprised it's not more popular actually. Nice sound, nice meaning ('gift of God', isn't it?) Also like the 'Wizard of Oz' association.

I also like Dorothea. The association I get from that is the character in 'Middlemarch', so that's good too.

MadameJosephine Tue 28-Jun-16 11:22:11

How about Theodora?

LadyAntonella Tue 28-Jun-16 11:33:21

I like it! Far prefer it to Dorothea which I think is a bit of a mouthful and, this is just me, but I don't really like some names which end in an ee-ah sound like Dorothea and Lucia (Loo-chee-ah) as they remind me of the words diarrhoea and gonnorhoea. I do really like Thea on its own though and also Dora which could both be nns for Dorothea.

Tinklypoo Tue 28-Jun-16 11:36:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whathaveilost Tue 28-Jun-16 11:38:53

I really don't like it. My nan tried to make me call my child that if I had a DD.
Thank goodness I had boys so a family crisis was averted!

crje Tue 28-Jun-16 11:42:02

My friend Dorothy hates her name.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Tue 28-Jun-16 11:43:48

I like it and I don't usually like 'old' names.

My DB's cat is called Dorothy. She gets called Dot, Dotty, Doz, Dozzer... grin

Dotty is a lovely nickname for a little girl and Dora is lovely too.

KoalaDownUnder Tue 28-Jun-16 11:47:03

It's my mum's name and she loathes it. She made us all promise never to saddle her granddaughters with it, even as a middle. grin

Must admit, I don't think it's nice. At all.

CourtJester Tue 28-Jun-16 11:48:47

Prefer Dorothy over Dorothea.

I don't think Thea would work for just Dorothy, perhaps at a push, but there is Dora, Dory, Dodie, Dot, Dotty/Dottie, Doe, Dodo, Dee, Roth, Roe, Thee

As an alternative, seeing as you like Dora and Thea, i love the name Tora!

TheDropBear Tue 28-Jun-16 11:55:19

I like it, it might be due a revival, vintage names are really popular at the minute. Prefer Dorothy to Dorathea, my nan is Dorothy and she goes by Dot or Dotty.

user1465823522 Tue 28-Jun-16 12:08:28

one of my grans was Dorothy and I love it - there are so many possible nicknames etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now