Please no more Finns or Tobys!

(41 Posts)
akorda Wed 22-Jun-16 20:15:05

I mean they're great names, but every other child I meet in London at the moment has one of these names. And every mother says "I thought they were so unusual" and seems disappointed.
Well I thought I'd warn those who are considering these names and think they are being unique that they're not and, if they mind about such things, to reconsider.
Sorry, just had to get that off my chest! It's been an irritating day
(and of course please call your child whatever you like!)

babyblabber Wed 22-Jun-16 21:08:58

Pretty harsh to all those who read this and already have a Finn or Toby!

llhj Wed 22-Jun-16 21:10:30

F off. Neither are in top 20. What an insufferable post.

AmysTiara Wed 22-Jun-16 21:12:19

Where I live there's far more Thomas and Oliver's so Finn and Toby would be a change.

Pipilangstrumpf Wed 22-Jun-16 21:29:24

There are a lot of Finns and Tobys around here, they must be in the top 100! Agree that they're quite trendy and will start to sound dated eventually.

Pipilangstrumpf Wed 22-Jun-16 21:31:06

There are also a lot of Thomases and Olivers!

There are lots and lots of lovely classic names outside the top 100 to choose from.

KERALA1 Wed 22-Jun-16 21:56:55

Here for girls it's the eve names. Every other girl named a variant of eve.

Sophronia Wed 22-Jun-16 21:58:12

Or Theos or Reubens

Bear2014 Thu 23-Jun-16 13:02:53

I live in London and I've never come across a Finn or a Toby.

PuraVida Thu 23-Jun-16 13:06:06

i know a few Tobys but they're all my age (mid 30s)

wishfulthink Thu 23-Jun-16 13:25:31

I only know 1 of each

Oliver's are far more common than Finns or Toby's

Thomas' Charlie's and Leo's abound too

Pipilangstrumpf Thu 23-Jun-16 15:19:53

"I live in London and I've never come across a Finn or a Toby."

Really?

PartyRockkk Thu 23-Jun-16 15:39:20

How on earth is Finn trendy? confusedconfused

Bear2014 Thu 23-Jun-16 16:01:42

Yes, really!

Very popular names here are Leo, Jack, Oscar, Ted - going by baby groups I went to when I was on mat leave in South London (Lambeth).

Ilovenannyplum Thu 23-Jun-16 16:10:28

I'm in SE London, I'm yet to come across a Finn or a Toby either, my DS is nearly 2 so we've been on the playgroup scene for a while grin

I'm not saying what his name is because I'll probably get told there are too many around

septembersunshine Thu 23-Jun-16 16:28:19

Well,, I think you have to take account of regional popularity. Jack is a very popular name (notoriously so) but my Jack was the only Jack in his school for two years (we are in south Cambridgeshire) but there were PLENTY of Williams, Harrys and Olivers. I think the stats rank a name in order of how many babies with that name are born that year but you might find areas where there appears to be so many more and its more like a top 10 name. Still, I think just go with what you love regardless.

Mycraneisfixed Thu 23-Jun-16 16:52:04

Finlay and Toby are both in the Mumsnett top 50.

drspouse Thu 23-Jun-16 17:50:25

The thing that I find odd is that nobody who wants an unusual name seems aware of the existence of name popularity lists.

They do act all surprised that their Thomas or Oliver or Toby or Molly or Sophie isn't the only one in their class.

(Mind you I know one Toby but we do live in a low-Toby area).

I carefully scrutinised the popularity lists before choosing our DCs names.

MarriedinMaui Thu 23-Jun-16 17:55:10

It's all william and Charlie here. With Luca and Joshua popular too. Only know one Finn (Age 8) and one Toby (age around 40)

NerrSnerr Thu 23-Jun-16 18:05:37

I know loads of Finley/ Finlays. I also know a lot of Evie and Eves. There are also three Evie-Mays who will be in the same year in school.

Crunchymum Sat 25-Jun-16 23:33:41

I know exactly none of each (central London here)

EweAreHere Sat 25-Jun-16 23:39:57

Haven't noticed too many Finns or Tobys, and I work in a primary school. Do know quite a few George, Alfie, and Olivers, though.

IFailDaily Sun 26-Jun-16 00:07:01

Oh, ok.
Well, welcome new great-nephew Toby.
Sorry, you're not unique, but we're very pleased to meet you anyway xx

monkeywithacowface Sun 26-Jun-16 00:13:21

I only know one Toby and as far as I'm aware he's the only one in a school of 400 pupils. There's a ton of Harry's, Louis', George's, Sam, Finlay's though.

cecilelliott Sun 26-Jun-16 14:57:34

yes, I know loads of baby/toddler Tobys too. Funny how it has suddenly zoomed up in popularity. Theo is also going the same way. Sad how nice names just lose their freshness when overused like this.
As OP said, use it if you want but don't use it because it is an unusual name. The next "Oscar" I reckon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now