Need to make a decision for upcoming DC!

(25 Posts)
ViveLesVacances Mon 20-Jun-16 14:37:36

Hello all,

DH and I are due number 4 in a few short weeks! We're reached an agreement on a boy's name, but are stuck for a girl. DH is French and we live in France, so looking for a name that will be pronounceable by both our families!

Our narrowed down options:

Madeleine Pearl
Madeleine Rosalie
Anna-Madeleine
Anna-Marguerite
Anna-Rosalie
Alice Pearl
Emmeline Pearl

Also like Gisèle and Evangeline, but am very unsure about middle names. Also, am aware that Evangeline is a very religious name, whilst we as a family are not really... Any suggestions for middle names gratefully received.

With the hyphenated names, people in France are most often called the full form of their name, so it's quite unlikely to be shortened, aside from perhaps family and close friends.

ViveLesVacances Mon 20-Jun-16 14:54:08

Bump! Baby Franco-Anglais needs a name!

Patapouf Mon 20-Jun-16 15:00:39

Would you go for the English spelling of pearl? If so, I think it will jar a little.

Anna-Madeleine is the one I like most on your list.

SnoopDoggyDogg Mon 20-Jun-16 15:03:04

I love Evangeline. Never heard it before I watched Nanny McPhee but I think it sounds so nice.

8DaysAWeek Mon 20-Jun-16 15:20:52

I love Anna-Rosalie. All are lovely though.

Out of curiosity, what's your boys name? DH is French but we live in the UK. Having similar issues making sure we pick a name that's easily pronounced for both sides of the family.

MarieJeanne Mon 20-Jun-16 15:23:09

I think the hyphenated names are a bit of a mouthful if they are to be used in full. Madeleine, Emmeline and Marguerite are long enough on their own.
I like all your choices and think they work well in French and English except maybe Pearl.
What about Josephine, Constance or Clementine

CourtJester Mon 20-Jun-16 15:24:46

I'm not keen on Pearl, but if i could choose a combination of any of your names it would be Emmeline Alice or Emmeline Anna

NavyAndWhite Mon 20-Jun-16 19:02:08

Definitely Madeleine but not keen on Rosalie or Pearl. What about Alice, Eve, Charlotte, Grace?

NovaArt3mis Mon 20-Jun-16 19:53:13

Emmeline (I need the heart eyes emoji here) Such a lovely name.

Dontrocktheboat Mon 20-Jun-16 21:52:22

I like Madeleine Pearl and Alice Pearl. I like Anna but not double barrelled.

Mar15mite Tue 21-Jun-16 11:12:11

Anna-Madeline for sure!

havalina1 Tue 21-Jun-16 11:32:48

All such lovely names, great selection!

I had Rosalie also on my list. I ended with an unnamed 5 day old baby girl who is now called Mary-Sara!

I love Madeleine too and the fact you're not in the uk it's that bit easier to use (won't evoke the McCann story so much).

Pearl is probably my least favourite, but only as the others are so good. I still like Pearl.

minipie Tue 21-Jun-16 11:49:49

Lovely names!

I think the hyphenated ones are a bit of a mouthful though.

Madeleine is my favourite, closely followed by Emmeline and Gisele. I also like Marguerite, would you consider that on its own?

Middle names: not keen on Pearl sorry. What about Anna (or Anne?) or Alice as middle names? Or Fleur (but perhaps odd in France?)

margewiththebluehair Tue 21-Jun-16 12:04:19

I love the name Madeleine - but Anna-Marguerite sounds the most dignified and beautiful.

cornishglos Tue 21-Jun-16 15:22:49

Love them all. Especially Anna Marguerite.

pinocchiosnose Tue 21-Jun-16 15:25:38

They are lovely names . Anna - madeleine is my favourite

manicinsomniac Tue 21-Jun-16 15:50:32

I LOVE Gisele (sorry, don't know how to do the accent) if it is pronounced the same way as Giselle. If it's more like Zhiz-elle-ee then I'm less keen but still like it.

Also love Evangeline and didn't even know it was religious.

Madeleine, I really like. Like Anna but the only hyphenated one I like is Anna-Marguerite. Quite like Alice, less keen on Emmeline.

Combination Ideas:
Gisele Marguerite
Evangeline Pearl
Gisele Evangeline
Madeleine Gisele
Anna Evangeline
Gisele Emmeline

3catsandcounting Wed 22-Jun-16 19:13:04

My grandma who was born in 1905, was Annie-Marguerite.
I love, love Evangeline.

user1463864877 Wed 22-Jun-16 20:23:41

Adore Madeleine, adore Gisele too. We are completely fans of French names too so am enjoying this thread a lot!
Also love Nathalie or Amelie.
OP all your choices are fine. smile

ViveLesVacances Thu 23-Jun-16 15:04:50

Thanks everyone for the lovely messages, still haven't managed to narrow it down though haha!

Pearl was my grandmother's name, hence the English spelling. However as the names are pronounced the same across both languages, I'm open to changing to the French spelling.

manic ooh I love Gisèle Evangaline! Maybe DH will go for that, as he wasn't wild on Evangaline as a first name.

8Days We're going for Alexandre Paul (Sacha) if DC is a boy.

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 23-Jun-16 16:21:09

I hate Pearl, sorry.

As it comes from Margaret then I'd include Marguerite instead.

The other names are all nice with the exception of Evangeline.

OhHolyFuck Thu 23-Jun-16 16:24:18

Emmeline pearl, just beautiful!

1horatio Thu 23-Jun-16 19:44:23

I looove these:
Anna-Marguerite
Anna-Rosalie
Alice Pearl

I personally don't like Madeleine. It reminds me of slightly bland pastries, tbh...

stiffstink Thu 23-Jun-16 21:52:11

Anna-Marguerite by a country mile, especially as Marguerite means pearl (according to the internet so it must be true).

dailymaillazyjournos Sat 25-Jun-16 18:39:41

Another vote for Anna-Marguerite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now