He said to change it

(13 Posts)
AnnieBear1 Sun 12-Jun-16 16:19:58

We recently had our fifth child and are planning on naming her Rhiannon Matilda (haven't signed papers yet). My DH has rather suddenly said that we shouldn't name her Rhiannon because if his sister ever has a child she wants to call her Ria. None of our family knew Rhiannon's name before birth so now she is born I think this sister has been guilting him into this. He's now being all fussy. He likes the name Rhiannon and has frequently mentioned that she looks like one but has now come over all negative about it. I think it suits her completely. Our other children are Casper Darcy, Ignatius Patrick, Paloma Charlotte and Tessa Amelie. FGS, he was the one that suggested Rhiannon! ARGH! It's just winding me up. Is he just being an arse?

Ffion3107 Sun 12-Jun-16 16:27:21

I think Matilda as a first name goes better with the siblings' names anyway.
But yes, he is being a bit of an arse (or the sister is, and he's stuck in the middle)
The sister can't expect you not to use it just in case she has a girl, that's ridiculous. But then again, if you had your own way, you'll always be reminded that her name had caused arguments between you and DH...
Tough one!

GinnyMcginface Sun 12-Jun-16 16:34:58

It doesn't matter anyway, surely?! My sister and I both have a son called Sam and my sister, brother and I all used James as a middle name for our first sons. Our Sams are just known as Sam B and Sam J or Ginny's Sam or whatever. This is a non-issue.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sun 12-Jun-16 16:55:58

So your DH wants you to agree changing the name of your actual existing baby (congratulations btw thanks ) incase your SIL has a baby and the chance that it's a girl at that?! Bonkers! confused

septembersunshine Sun 12-Jun-16 17:05:27

I think he's being a bit ridiculous. When his sister has children she might not even have a girl! You have a girl now and this is the name you have agreed on and love. I really like Matilda too (so I briefly thought maybe change the names around so she is Matilda Rhiannon and she could then be Milly - not Tilly as you have a Tessa if Matilda gets shortened) but that is not the point. You have picked Rhiannon. Do you think you'll give into him and change it or stick to your guns?

Pinklily1 Mon 13-Jun-16 21:21:53

They are totally different to me! I don't see why you can't have a Rhiannon and she has a Ria (if she even ever has a girl). If it is an issue, tough - your baby came first and you can name her what you like.

RiverTam Mon 13-Jun-16 21:23:28

So if his sister ever has a child, if it's a girl she wants to call it a completely different name. Have I got that right?

pinkyredrose Mon 13-Jun-16 21:26:03

Don't see what the issue is , she can still use the name can't she? Why did you use Paloma btw? Lovely name, v unusual, never met one before.

sycamore54321 Mon 13-Jun-16 21:26:45

Honestly I don't know what you should do but as well as all the other "ifs", you need to consider that naming your sister's future baby isn't just up to her, her partner will also have a view and he might hate Ria so even if she has a girl and she doesn't change her own preferences, there is still no guarantee that girl will be Ria. Seems a very unreasonable position to be put in but I don't know what is the best way out.

pinkyredrose Mon 13-Jun-16 21:26:52

River exactly!

RiverTam Mon 13-Jun-16 21:46:02

Oh, that's a good point, Sycamore. So, to recap, if his sister ever has a child, if it's a girl and if her DP agrees, she wants to call it a completely different name. I think that's it.

manicinsomniac Tue 14-Jun-16 13:47:25

I think Rhiannon Matilda is gorgeous. Hope you stick with it.

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 14-Jun-16 14:30:32

Load of silly nonsense. So this Ria business only emerged once you told everyone your new baby was called Rhiannon? Tell your DH to stop being so silly.

And if your SIL objects just tell her 'dreams unwind' as in the lyric to Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac. wink

And let that be an end to the matter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now