Jasper

(47 Posts)
soundsystem Wed 08-Jun-16 16:14:25

What does the name Jasper make you think of? And do you like it?

I've never met one, so don't have any particular associations. I think I quite like it...

(I had a dream before I was pregnant with DC2 that we had a son called Jasper. And then I thought, ooh, actually, that's quite nice! But not in a woo-I-dreamed-the-name-so-that's-what-it-must-be way, just in a hadn't-considered-it way. DC1 is a girl and it wasn't on the list had she been a boy. Too early to know the sex of this one so it might be a moot point!)

Allalonenow Wed 08-Jun-16 16:18:46

Fab name!

PeggyMitchell123 Wed 08-Jun-16 16:20:30

I really like it, its the name my sister has chosen for my nephew due next month.

PolaroidsFromTheBeyond Wed 08-Jun-16 16:21:58

I know 2 people who have dogs called Jasper so that's what I think if when I hear the name.

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Wed 08-Jun-16 16:22:57

Oh I love Jasper - it was an early choice I really loved for DS1. Would still use it now if I was allowed any more babies!

GoldPlatedBacon Wed 08-Jun-16 16:24:14

I've met one Jasper. slightly clichéd public school type but nice guy. Mn will tell you its a cat/dog name (also see Tabitha)

Laineylou Wed 08-Jun-16 16:24:43

Wasps

LadyAntonella Wed 08-Jun-16 16:45:49

I love this name! It is on my very short list of favourite boy names.

LadyAntonella Wed 08-Jun-16 16:46:16

I did have a dog called Jasper though - many years ago.

StinkyMcgrinky Wed 08-Jun-16 16:50:00

Love Jasper grin

Only reason it isn't on our list is because we had a ginger cat called jasper growing up, he lived to the old age of 21.

DS1 is a Maximilian (Max) and I know a cat and a dog with that name, hasn't bothered me in the slightest. Go for it!

soundsystem Wed 08-Jun-16 16:50:53

Ooh, this is a lot more positive than I was expecting!

Abetes Wed 08-Jun-16 16:51:22

Posh Hooray Henry type or a dog for me.

Muddlingalongalone Wed 08-Jun-16 16:54:16

I love it & know one born very recently - don't think of it as an animal name, not like Felix which makes me wince whenever it is mentioned.

midsomermurderess Wed 08-Jun-16 17:39:50

It's a semi-precious stone I think. Mostly though I think Conran but I do quite like it.

crayfish Wed 08-Jun-16 17:47:07

I know a baby Jasper, his parents are very posh so I think of it as a posh person name I suppose!

smartyclogs Wed 08-Jun-16 19:59:01

Carrot

marialuisa Thu 09-Jun-16 09:00:44

I know quite a few, adult and child. The children are all from "overheard in Waitrose" types of family (which is fine). The adults are more of a mixed bag but they all agree that in the UK there is a definite "posh boy" /dog name association. The "posh boy" thing can be a burden, especially if you're not one. The one I know best was adamant that any sons he had would have unremarkable ,classic names of the William, John variety.

Seekingmiracles Thu 09-Jun-16 09:44:05

It was my cats name. It's ok...but the majority of mn will love it. My name taste is generally far from MN appreciation wink

soundsystem Thu 09-Jun-16 10:09:36

Interesting. I had to look up Jasper Carrot so perhaps it will be less of an association as the DC grow up.

Hmm, we're not posh so that is a consideration. I don't think we're "overheard in Waitrose types" although toddler DD does eat hummus and smoked salmon and is partial to a hard-boiled quails egg on occasion!

Lottiedaydreambeliever2014 Thu 09-Jun-16 10:49:00

My little one is Jasper! I've met one other Jasper since he was born in March so I would say it isn't unusual anymore. It's a bit of a marmite name too. Some people consider it a bit posh but we live in a nice area where he will fit in well.

GlitterGlassEye Thu 09-Jun-16 12:05:27

Carrot here too.

squoosh Thu 09-Jun-16 12:40:46

It's one of those posh names that has filtered down to the masses.

I don't really like it.

TheFace Thu 09-Jun-16 14:16:01

I love it. I had it short listed for this one but turns out I' having a girl. DH didn't like it though, he said we weren't posh enough to pull it off. What ever that means as our DS has quiet a 'posh' name.

It does make me think of Jasper from The Simpsons, but I am a huge Simpsons fan so it never put me off.

LadyAntonella Thu 09-Jun-16 14:28:06

I really don't think it is posh. I never made that association. I think of it more as traditional but somehow modern and cool. I love Caspar too, but the added bonus (for me) with Jasper is that it can be shortened to Jazz (which I think is really cool).

squoosh Thu 09-Jun-16 14:47:46

Noo!

It is a FACT that any man who has a nickname that ends in Z is an idiot. Have you never met a Baz or a Gaz?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now