Can a first name end with the same letter the surname begins with?

(16 Posts)
BonesyBones Sun 05-Jun-16 11:15:06

Or does it just sound wrong?
Or does it depend on the name?

For example I don't think James Smith sounds too bad but the name I want to use ends with a B and our surname begins with B and I'm not sure if it's too much to get your mouth around.

The name is Caleb, and our surname has one syllable. Is it too much?

KnightC Sun 05-Jun-16 15:05:36

I think it's fine

GoldPlatedBacon Sun 05-Jun-16 15:12:15

Like your examples, it depends entirely on the names. Molly Yelland sounds absolutely fine but Anna Alexander is a bit of a mouthful.

Bear2014 Sun 05-Jun-16 15:13:35

Ours does. Her name ends with r and surname begins with r. I think it works fine.

TheTartOfAsgard Sun 05-Jun-16 15:15:10

I think it depends if the surname has a consonant or a vowel as a second letter.

Caleb Brown sounds ok.
Caleb Bellingham not so much.

Rainbowshine Sun 05-Jun-16 15:16:10

About half our family have n at end of the first name and surname starts with it, no issues with it at all!

IoraRua Sun 05-Jun-16 15:39:51

Depends on the surname but in general no, I think the sounds run into one another.

LadyAntonella Sun 05-Jun-16 16:47:52

I think it's fine. Especially as your surname has one syllable. Caleb Bell / Ball / Brown all sound fine to me. Caleb Bryant sounds a bit awkward maybe.

Pipilangstrumpf Mon 06-Jun-16 15:51:11

Hhm, not sure. I don't like the sound of Caleb Bell as it sounds like a girls name, Calebelle to me. And Caleb Brown sounds like Caleb Rown.

YouAreMyRain Mon 06-Jun-16 15:53:08

Yes, it's fine. My DS has the same sound at the end of his first name that his surname starts with.

fuzzywuzzy Mon 06-Jun-16 15:55:22

I think it works fine, DP's surname begins with the same letter his first name ends with both the long and short form of the first name. It works fine and suits him.

It's not very often you call someone by their first name and surname, so I wouldn't worry about it being too much of a mouthful.

2nds Mon 06-Jun-16 15:59:03

At first I thought no it won't sound too good but then I realised that my dc's first name ends with the same letter as her surname's initial and I've never actually paid any attention to that fact so I'm going to say it's absolutely fine and I think you might be over thinking it. Caleb is a lovely name.

FastWindow Mon 06-Jun-16 16:01:18

I think its fine.

I have unfortunately managed a far worse contraction through marriage. The end of my name and the beginning of my surname is now something you wouldnt want to smell...so i use my nickname a lot more at the office now!!

UntilTheCowsComeHome Mon 06-Jun-16 16:51:55

Our DS2's shortened name that he goes by has the same sound as the beginning of our surname.

I wasn't sure at first and I think it can sound clunky sometimes, but we loved the name (both the 'proper' name and the shortened version) so decided to go with it anyway.

julfin Thu 09-Jun-16 21:59:41

FastWindow do you mean a bit like Phoebe O'Donnell? BO?

TheLadyWithTheYellowHat Thu 09-Jun-16 22:04:35

Echoing what pp have said, names like William Matthews or Rebecca Adams sound fine totally depends on what your surname is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now