help with my decision

(24 Posts)
Baz13 Wed 01-Jun-16 12:05:45

We find out tomorrow if we are having a little girl or boy.
We have decided on a boys name and a back up name. We have also decided on the name Esme Louisa for a little girl - but I am a little unsure.

Other names on the girls shortlist:
Mabel (Still love this name)
Beatrice (dh favourite)
Beatrix (my favourite)

Which do you prefer?

jamenhej Wed 01-Jun-16 12:08:29

Love them all except Beatrix!

BertrandRussell Wed 01-Jun-16 12:11:37

Just to warn you if you think Mabel is unshortenable- my dog's called Msbel and everyone calls her Mabes.......

Baz13 Wed 01-Jun-16 12:18:27

BertandRussell: Mabes would undoubtedly be a nn we would use or Mae.
It's a family name -and I like the name and so does dh. Although it's a very marmite name.

BertrandRussell Wed 01-Jun-16 12:24:10

I think it's a lovely name- hence Mabel the Border Terrier...

PeaceNotPieces Wed 01-Jun-16 12:28:45

I love Esme.
Beatrice if not Esme.

Or Robyn, Willow or Penny

Baz13 Wed 01-Jun-16 12:28:55

Awww she is so cute smile

Bluesand1 Wed 01-Jun-16 13:23:23

Esme

ABitAsleep Wed 01-Jun-16 13:55:52

Esme is lovely, i prefer it to your other names, plus it also goes well with Louisa smile

Baz13 Wed 01-Jun-16 14:32:10

Thank you for the replies. Glad people like Esme as well.

nuttymango Wed 01-Jun-16 14:33:06

Esme is lovely.

FrumpleMum Wed 01-Jun-16 14:37:29

I like the name Esme. I have a very wonderful work colleague called Esme. Not sure about the other girls names though, sorry.

1horatio Wed 01-Jun-16 14:55:15

I like Esme. And Beatrix is awesome smile Beatrice is really cute.

Baz13 Wed 01-Jun-16 14:58:50

Don't apologise, I wanted opinions. And I am glad people like Esme, I do really like it and love the meaning. I actually think it's the middle name, that's bugging me. Probably because my other children have honorary mn, and no one I know is called Louisa in mine or dh family. (Although I am sure some long distant relative was called Louise).

ListenToYourHeart Wed 01-Jun-16 17:50:29

I love Esme, it sounds beautiful.

Don't like any of the others though, sorry!

1horatio Wed 01-Jun-16 18:35:25

What about Esme Beatrix/ce?

Hurricane99 Wed 01-Jun-16 19:27:31

I liked Esme until I've heard a number of mothers yelling it at their kids in supermarkets. Suddenly hearing it pronounced "Es-maaaaaaaaay! Es-maaaaaaaa! Get back here now!" raked the charm off it somewhat. It also seems to be rising in populatity.

I like Beatrix, nn Trixie (although sounds a little like a dog name!). Less popular than Beatrice (I know a lovely Beatrice, nn Bea)

You could try to encourage Belle as an alternative nn for Mabel, but could still end up Mabes in school!

Baz13 Wed 01-Jun-16 19:50:49

I have heard the pronunciation issues of Es-may but I would pronounce it Es-me. Didn't realise it was so popular or rising. I don't want a massively popular name.

I teach, and have only just recently met a little girl called Esme.
Love the nn Bea smile

barbecue Wed 01-Jun-16 19:53:25

Louisa Beatrice or Beatrice Louisa would be lovely smile

BareBearBum Wed 01-Jun-16 19:54:24

I know quite a few little Esme's it's a gorgeous name. But I love Beatrix, and think Beatrix Louisa has a nice sound to it.

nuttymango Wed 01-Jun-16 21:09:47

Esme is lovely, Esmai (a spelling my NDN has for her daughter) doesn't appeal quite so much though. I prefer Es-me to Es-may.

Hermanfromguesswho Wed 01-Jun-16 21:23:41

I was going to say Esme Louisa is gorgeous but then I saw you would be saying it differently to the usual way and I'm not keen on that at all. I think it would get confusing and you'd have to correct people all the time and spell it.
Mabel is good second option smile

MumOnACornishFarm Wed 01-Jun-16 21:47:44

Congratulations, how exciting for you! Still deciding whether or not to find out the sex in 3 weeks time.
I think Esme Louisa is absolutely beautiful, and really well balanced. I don't hear either of those names everyday either, which I think is a good thing.
I am not personally very keen on Mabel, though I generally like old fashioned names. Beatrice is lovely, but Beatrix is my favourite too. I have it on my list for a middle name, though my partner doesn't like it. I think I can work on him smile Incidentally I have a friend with excellent taste and gorgeous children who has both an Esme and a Beatrice.

mrsschu Wed 01-Jun-16 22:10:03

I love Esme but only if it's pronounced Ez-may. Just seen you're pronouncing it Ez-me so now I'm on the fence about it. Not too keen on your other names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now