Opinions on name list, me and DH have differing opinions on names!

(12 Posts)
Sunnydays321 Sun 29-May-16 11:06:05

Hi, I've been through lots of online lists, it's still early days but starting to think about names. DH likes really normal (what I would call nice but slightly boring) names. I like things like Florence, Beatrice and Sebastian and Rupert... My DH thinks these are pompous and cruel! Haha he thinks children would get picked on for having "weird names" but I think that's an old fashioned point of view and that there are so many unusual names now that everything is normal. I like my name but there were 6 of us in my class... I would have quite liked something a bit different. DH would veto most of the names on my list. Anyone got any ideas/compromises?

Girls;
Beatrice/Beatrix
Florence
Erin
Imogen (we agree on this and I do love it)
Rowan
Robin
Willow
Tabitha
Jemima

Middle names: rose, Frances.

Boy:
Harry (DH likes)
Henry (DH likes)
Isaac
Jacob
Jack (DH likes and also a family name)
Logan
Max
Oliver
Rory
Seth
Sebastian
Zachary.... DH pretty much hates all but the ones iv marked!

Hi suggestions are things like Lucy, Jessica, Elizabeth, Sarah. And jack, James, John, David etc.

Anyone else struggling to agree? X

NapQueen Sun 29-May-16 11:08:22

I know a couple whose tastes wildly differ. In the end she got the deciding vote due to pregnancy and labour but avoided his "hates".

Of your list I'd go for Jessica Frances Surname or Henry Jack surname / Jack Henry Surname.

Choccybadger Sun 29-May-16 11:12:49

The first 4 girls names are lovely. I don't like the others but that's just personal taste. Beatrice Rose would be beautiful.

Your DH has picked some fairly boring boy names. Henry is nice but I also like Oliver. I would pick something a bit more unusual than Jack.
Good luck

IoraRua Sun 29-May-16 13:05:03

Honestly names like Peter, John, David etc will be different for this generation. Your names are different to you - as they weren't common choices in the past - but pretty popular for the next generation.

If you agree on Imogen, that's that one sorted surely. From the boys names I like Zachary, Jack, Isaac and Rory.

GoldPlatedBacon Sun 29-May-16 14:42:25

The funny thing is that the names your DP likes are ones that aren't so often offered up as suggestions on here. Whereas names like Florence and Beatrice regularly are. Further, it's unlikely that if you had a ds that he'd be at school with another John or Peter but there is likely to be another Sebastian and almost certainly another Oliver.

If you both agree on Imogen then choose that.

What about Wilfred, Arthur, Joseph for boys?

Sunnydays321 Sun 29-May-16 15:11:19

Haha yeah I guess you guys are right, what was normal then is now unusual. I guess I just remember the 6 of my name, 3 Sarah's, 3 James etc in the one class but like you say it will be the same now with the Florence's/Oliver's etc.

I do love Imogen and it's the only name we have agreed on so far, so I guess if it's a girl that's easier. It's just there are so many lovely girls names I like. A boys name will be trickier I think... I just can't call a baby dean, or Craig (sorry to the deans and Craig's!) haha.

I love Wilfred and Arthur. Will add those and see what DH thinks. I like Joseph but I have a brother with that name so that's out. X

Thanks ladies x

KittiesInsane Sun 29-May-16 15:15:11

Nothing wrong with a little Imogen and Henry, I'd say. You could add a more unusual middle name, so Imogen Frances, Imogen Willow; or Henry Joseph, Jack Sebastian.

barbecue Sun 29-May-16 21:16:05

Sophia
Melissa
Coralie
Juliet
Cara
Louisa
Seren

Lawrence
Gregory
Alistair
Owen
Vincent
Alexander
Nicholas

1horatio Sun 29-May-16 22:38:26

I love Beatrix! Imogen, Tabitha and Willow are also lovely.
I personally don't like Jessica...

Henry and David are lovely names! smile And Sebastian is also really nice.

ABitAsleep Tue 31-May-16 12:18:31

To be honest i think most of your names are a little 'flouncey' and your husbands are a little 'boring' - How about maybe some middle ground;

Samantha
Rachelle
Emmeline
Eliza
Michaela
Melody
Maia
Danielle(a)
Joanna
Freya
Hailey

Richard
Simon
Samuel
Anthony
Adam
Jonathan

septembersunshine Tue 31-May-16 12:49:06

I think your DH likes pretty standard classic names. Nothing wrong with that. I have a Jack Oscar myself ;) I would go with Imogen if its the only girls name you both agree on and maybe pair it with something distinctive that makes the whole thing a bit different. We had a lot of problems finding a boys name too and in the end we are using a family name (something I was vehemently against) but it feels right for this baby. I would keep looking at names until you find something you both love.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 01-Jun-16 12:22:25

You both agree on Imogen, that's something, and any of the other girls' names you mention would be a good middle name with it.

Recently have heard of a Sonny, a George and an Alfred for newborns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now