Opinions on the name Gracie?

(45 Posts)
Nham123 Wed 25-May-16 18:42:36

Looking for opinions on the name Gracie, what do you think? I think it's really cute but a bit worried it's more of a nickname than a name on its own? OH doesn't like Grace as a first name and to be honest I'm not a huge fan of Grace either as I knew an awful one which puts me off, we do both like Gracie though so looking for opinions and any oh suggestions if you have any? Thanks smile

Vixxfacee Wed 25-May-16 18:51:33

Grace is ok. Gracie is too cutesy. I wouldn't like to be called Gracie. Would you?

CPtart Wed 25-May-16 18:57:21

It is cutesy. Far too many I've ending names about.
Grace is nice. Classier.

CPtart Wed 25-May-16 18:57:52

'ie' ending

SpongeCakeBigPants Wed 25-May-16 18:59:47

Grace yes - elegant and timeless.
Gracie no - far too cutesy

EverySecondCounts Wed 25-May-16 19:05:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 25-May-16 19:50:58

Gracie is a cutesy adorable name very girly and pretty.
However Grace IMO is much more elegant and appealing. I mean she can always opt to be known as Gracie. If she wants to

sooperdooper Wed 25-May-16 19:53:38

Gracie is a nickname - give her the option of a proper grown up name when she's an adult and not a toddler

Sophronia Wed 25-May-16 20:52:27

Grace on the birth certificate with Gracie as a nn

blueskyinmarch Wed 25-May-16 21:12:59

Makes me think of Gracie Lou Freebush from the film Miss Congeniality!

manicinsomniac Wed 25-May-16 22:42:54

Gracie is a cute optional nickname to me, though I know plenty of people use it as a given name.

I think Grace is lovely.

If you don't like Grace, how about Gracelyn (an American name, I think) or Graciella (a name I might have made up but it seems like a plausible name/I think I may have heard it somewhere)

bringbacksideburns Wed 25-May-16 22:46:31

Makes Me think of Rochdale's very own - Gracie Fields.

zen1 Wed 25-May-16 22:55:16

I know an 11 year old Gracie and it really suits her. Can't imagine her being called Grace. I think if you both like the name, you should go with it.

dollydaydream84 Thu 26-May-16 17:47:21

I love both Grace and Gracie but neither go with our surname, otherwise would have been top of the list

MyMrKnightley Thu 26-May-16 18:49:54

Lovely for a little girl not sure I'd like to be named it as an adult. Why not call her Gracie and put grace on birth certificate, you don't even have to tell anyone the official version but she'd have the option to use either.

albertcampionscat Thu 26-May-16 18:53:24

Grazia nn Gracie?

TeradelFuego Thu 26-May-16 18:57:05

Bit mystifying how you can both love Gracie but dislike Grace. Basically it's the same name.

Grace is elegant, and I agree with pps that Gracie is far too cutesy to be a name in its own right. If you just used it as a nickname, surely that would be fine?

Waterhill Thu 26-May-16 19:25:44

I prefer Grace... I don't see how you can dislike Grace, but absolutely love Gracie confused

mummytomartha Sat 28-May-16 01:07:29

I love Gracie on it's own grin maybe I'm the only one who thinks it's ok as a proper name?? I mean, there are names that are far cutesier...confused

moobear14 Sat 28-May-16 01:46:06

Love it smile

Boolovessulley Sat 28-May-16 06:53:11

It's not my cup of tea. Far too cutesy/ nicknamey.

I don't like Grace either as it's very common where I am.

septembersunshine Sat 28-May-16 08:46:07

I would put Grace on the bc and use Gracie as a nickname. She has options then. Grace is so elegant and classic. Gracie is very sweet for a little baby/girl but come her adult years she might feel you did her a bad turn if Gracie is all she has.

MargotLovedTom Sat 28-May-16 08:57:41

I think it's a shame a whole generation of women in 20 years will be called cutesy names such as Maisy, Missy, Bessie, Gracie, Evie, Daisy, etc. EverySecondCounts

Well, it's happened before in the past and the world didn't stop turning hmm. The names you've just slated would've been disregarded as granny names a generation ago.

Fashions change and I don't think these future women will need your pity; they'll be getting on fine being solicitors, architects, teachers, doctors and so on without their 'cutesy' name holding them back.

OP if you love the name Gracie, then call her it. The only sneering you'll get is on here.

TheCrumpettyTree Sat 28-May-16 09:39:51

It's too twee and cutsey to me and she'll only end up being shortened to Grace at school anyway, which you dislike.

BoxofSnails Sat 28-May-16 10:12:11

I too am not sure how your opinion can change quite so much when it's essentially the same name. I too would go for Grace, and undoubtedly use Gracie as a nn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now