Opinions on Kalden?

(40 Posts)
Dakin1 Wed 25-May-16 14:55:08

DP absolutely loves it. It's a Tibetan boy's name which is meaningful for us. There are only a handful of Kaldens in the country so he would have a fairly unique name.

I am not so sure, I think it's 'strong' sounding and can be shortened to Kal which is nice. I tend to prefer more mainstream boy's names (Ben for example) but can't find an alternative that DP likes too.

Surname is one syllable and Kalden goes quite nicely.

Would you feel sorry for a kid called Kalden?!

heron98 Wed 25-May-16 14:59:50

it's ok.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 25-May-16 15:00:28

How is it pronounced? Is it Kal-den or more Call-dun.

I haven't heard it before, so it's just a first impression, but I do quite like it.

I can't think of any negative connotations and if the name means something to you, then go for it smile.

Floggingmolly Wed 25-May-16 15:00:55

It would be fine if you happened to live in Tibet.

ABitAsleep Wed 25-May-16 15:01:29

I think it sounds made up, sorry :/

I have heard of Kaden's and Klayden's, but never Kalden. I think it would get mistaken a lot for one of the above and would forever have to be telling people 'no, it's pronounced KAL-den' which would be very annoying for him.

ProjectPerfect Wed 25-May-16 15:01:34

I like the idea of a name with meaning but I'm not keen on Kalden, it looks at first glance like Kaiden which I dislike immensely.

cosmicglittergirl Wed 25-May-16 15:02:20

In all honesty, as I've never heard of it, I would think it's made up. Don't have a strong aversion to it though.

MardleBum Wed 25-May-16 15:04:11

Would you feel sorry for a kid called Kalden?

Yes I would. And everyone is going to think it says Kaiden and call him Kaiden.

I do not believe for one moment that this is a Tibetan name either.

Dakin1 Wed 25-May-16 15:06:08

It's pronounced Kal-den

Project I see what you mean about it being mistaken for Kaiden, I am not keen on that name too.

I find it fairly inoffensive but not sure if that's a good basis for naming our child! Definitely don't want to give him a 'life sentence' name.

Interested to hear more opinions.

nectarini1983 Wed 25-May-16 15:07:47

Not heard it before...first impression is that it is okay but does remind me of Kayden/ Hayden.

Dakin1 Wed 25-May-16 15:08:30

Mardle I can assure you it is definitely a Tibetan name, we have had it confirmed from a Tibetan monk!

babynames.merschat.com/name-meaning.cgi?bn_key=32846

sonlypuppyfat Wed 25-May-16 15:08:42

Have you got some family history with Tibet? I think it would only work if you do

Pipilangstrumpf Wed 25-May-16 15:08:49

I think it is much nicer than Kaiden. I like the sound of Kalden and if it has a good associaton/meaning to you, then I'd choose it. It is easy to pronounce and spell and not overused. What's not to like?

Pipilangstrumpf Wed 25-May-16 15:10:07

In fact, I find it a refreshing change from all the Bens (that you also like).

SirChenjin Wed 25-May-16 15:10:53

It's OK - but does look made up.

Curious to know why it's meaningful to you?

EssentialHummus Wed 25-May-16 15:15:33

I think it sounds made up, sorry :/

Dakin1 Wed 25-May-16 15:19:40

Thanks everyone.

No family history with Tibet but we follow Tibetan Buddhism.

Vardyparty Wed 25-May-16 15:21:21

It's a nice name.

Thankfulforeveryday Wed 25-May-16 15:41:13

Sounds like that stuff you put in your washer to stop limescale so probably wouldn't call my child it to be honest.

sonlypuppyfat Wed 25-May-16 15:55:38

A Tibetan monk you move in very different circles to me!

Maudelish Wed 25-May-16 16:17:27

It's nice. At first glance I would have thought it pronounced kaul-den, which reminds me of cauldron

BoboBunnyH0p Wed 25-May-16 16:20:24

Kalden it's sounds fine to me and I like nn Kal. If your worried that ds won't like it as an adult then give him a traditional middle name. That's what we did for our DS who has an usual first name (which I know is slated here).

Dakin1 Wed 25-May-16 17:03:57

Thanks Bobo - middle name will be John so he would have the option to use that.

Thanks everyone for the opinions and keep them coming, good or bad!

Oliviaerinpope Wed 25-May-16 17:05:24

I thought you'd made it up. I'm not a fan of Kayden either is that helps.

crayfish Wed 25-May-16 17:07:57

Kalden itself I'm not keen on, it's too much in the Kayden/Kyle/Klay bracket in terms of sound (the Kardashians and Rooneys have ruined any name beginning with K for me though!). I do like Kal as a nn but only because I know a Callum who goes by Cal.

Kalden John sounds weird though, it's a yooneek sounding name shoved up to the most boring name in the world!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now