How to spell...?

(30 Posts)
GashleyCrumbTiny Tue 24-May-16 19:09:32

Warning: contains certain name-based prejudices! Interested to know if people would associate the following spellings with the things I do, as well as your actual preferences.

We have just about decided on Casper (or Kasper or Kaspar or Caspar) as a boy's name. But I'm struggling with how to spell.

To me, Casper looks the most normal - BUT it also sounds very American and friendly-ghostish. Caspar (as in Caspar David Friedrich) looks more European (which we'd prefer!) but I'm worried it looks like a bit of 'youneek' spelling. Kasper is probably more recognisable but through many conversations with a primary school dad and several friends, I've developed a bit of a prejudice about K names - especially for boys. Kaspar if probably more recognisable as the European variant, but also looks a bit youneek (and therefore even further towards the Kyle/Kai/Kane end of the spectrum!)

My incorrigible snobbery aside - what do people think?

GashleyCrumbTiny Tue 24-May-16 19:10:50

*primary school teacher dad

WingMirrorSpider Tue 24-May-16 19:12:28

I like Caspar best and this one looks like the 'correct' spelling to me (even though I know the others are valid spellings too).

MardleBum Tue 24-May-16 19:13:01

I know someone who has just had a little boy called Casper with a C. I would find the K quite odd, a C seems more normal to me.

SirNiallDementia Tue 24-May-16 19:13:32

I think most British people would assume it's spelled Casper.

We have a Kaspar at work and he is forever telling people "no, it's Kaspar with a K and an A"! And when people see it written down they sometimes pronounce it "Kaz-parr"

GashleyCrumbTiny Tue 24-May-16 19:18:22

Caspar is probably my favourite, but I foresee lots of "no, it's actually Cas-PAR" conversations in the poor kids future!

BoboBunnyH0p Tue 24-May-16 19:53:36

Casper is how I would spell it. If I saw it spelt with a K I would think you were trying too hard to be different.

LadyAntonella Tue 24-May-16 19:55:15

I think I'd spell it Caspar but Casper is fine too.

julfin Tue 24-May-16 22:31:34

I would go with Caspar or maybe Casper. Caspar seems most British to me, and I agree Casper seems more American (although for ghostly reasons is probably the better known spelling in the UK too, therefore worth considering), and K spellings seems Eastern European.

I would avoid the K unless that spelling is more culturally relevant/familiar to you.

DramaAlpaca Tue 24-May-16 23:57:37

I'd go with Caspar.

Wolfiefan Tue 24-May-16 23:59:29

Casper.
NOT with a K!

FreezerBird Wed 25-May-16 00:04:33

The only one I know is spelled Kacper - he's Polish - I like it.

Allalonenow Wed 25-May-16 00:10:34

I think of Caspar as the more traditional spelling, with Casper being a bit casual-just-any-old-way.

I like Kaspar, but can see the negative side of K names, so wouldn't use it.

MrsMushrooms Wed 25-May-16 00:30:26

I know a couple of Kaspers but they are non-British European, I think it could be odd on somebody who isn't (like being called Juan or something without being Spanish - a perfectly fine name but strange out of context, if that makes sense?)

Any of the -ar spellings look a bit try-hard to me, which is a shame as Casper is a nice and unique name anyway. That could just be because I've not come across that spelling before though!

Sophronia Wed 25-May-16 05:45:32

Caspar

KoalaDownUnder Wed 25-May-16 05:49:19

I prefer Caspar.

mrsschu Wed 25-May-16 07:09:33

Caspar was on my list for DS, lovely name. Have only ever seen it spelt like this so would go with this spelling.

DavidPuddy Wed 25-May-16 08:09:08

Caspar. With a K would also be fine, I would just assume you were a German family. Why is Kai considered "youneek"? It's just a German name.

mercifulTehlu Wed 25-May-16 08:10:35

Caspar

GoldPlatedBacon Wed 25-May-16 08:30:06

Again, I would spell it Caspar although no issues with Casper.

I would assume a Kasper/Kaspar was eastern European rather than British with creative spelling. It's not in Team Kaydon.

PotOfYoghurt Wed 25-May-16 08:39:30

Caspar.

HouseOfBiscuits Wed 25-May-16 09:47:43

Caspar

ShowOfHands Wed 25-May-16 09:53:46

Caspar is by far the most expected spelling ime. It's probably an earlier spelling too if the name's from Gaspar originally.

Fab name.

ABitAsleep Wed 25-May-16 09:55:59

I would automaticall spell it Casper (yes the friendly ghost does come to mind, but i would still think that when it was spoken, whatever the spelling)

I too would imagine Caspar getting 'no, it's Cas-pAr... with an A' a lot.

I agree with the stereotype of K not being the best and more likely to be classified as being 'Yooneek' (also being very Kardashian associated) i personally wouldn't go with the K spellings.

Waterhill Thu 26-May-16 20:21:24

Definitely with a c - either is fine... Caspar/Casper

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now