Finn, Fintan etc.....

(26 Posts)
Maudelish Tue 24-May-16 18:51:14

I know that Finn is considered a very popular name... I have three DC under the age of 11 and have only ever met/known of one Finley in my life and he's 18.

Is it really that popular? How about Fintan?

LadyMonicaBaddingham Tue 24-May-16 18:54:09

I know a Finn, age 12 and a Fynley hmm age 4. That's it. Finian is nice too, not sure about Fintan...

ElspethFlashman Tue 24-May-16 18:55:46

Fintan is common in Ireland. Though more for your Dads generation as Finn/Fionn is trendier now. I would say whilst Fionn is in danger of becoming a bit ubiquitous in Ireland now it's definitely not caught up in the UK so may be a less trendy way of using Finn. You do pronounce it differently though.

Caridge Tue 24-May-16 19:05:17

I like Finn and Flynn smile

soundsystem Tue 24-May-16 19:06:10

I like Fintan. I know quite a few Finns, all of whom are Finlays.

justaweeone Tue 24-May-16 19:36:04

I have a soon to be 13 year old Finlay
Don't know any others

EllenDegenerate Tue 24-May-16 20:09:25

I like Finbar

Pidgythe2nd Wed 25-May-16 08:55:15

I have a Finn and love the name. Never met any others, but a lot of Finley/Finlays which seems to get shortened to Finn. 😁

sonlypuppyfat Wed 25-May-16 09:03:55

I know a Flynn it is a lovely name, I'm not sure about Finton

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 25-May-16 10:04:47

We know
2 Finns about 11.
2 Finley/finlays about 13

And a Finley about 3

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 25-May-16 10:05:08

And a finlow.
He must be late teens

babyblabber Wed 25-May-16 10:47:07

Finian defo the best of the "Finn" names.

CuteHoor Wed 25-May-16 10:53:03

Lots of Finleys and Finlays under the age of 8 or so around here (rural midlands). Agree with Elspeth that Fintan is more for men who are 50 plus, but it could be reclaimed? Finnian I like. Finbar I find a bit middle-aged, but again, it could merit reclamation.

I know a lot of Fionns in Ireland, ranging from about 20 downward.

I do want to point out, though that 'Fionn' and all its cognates mean 'fair' - Finbar is 'fair-headed' - so it's a bit odd to see babies who arrive with an olive complexion and a huge head of black hair being blithely named Fionn/Finbar grin.

HouseOfBiscuits Wed 25-May-16 18:06:32

I know a few Finns. I'm not that keen on Finn names TBH but Finlay is the best of the bunch.

villainousbroodmare Wed 25-May-16 23:09:33

Yes, it's for a fair boy not a dark-haired boy doll

pinkladyapple Sun 29-May-16 16:42:00

Its in the top 20 names I believe. My partner loves Finley but I'm against it because of how popular it is. I was cursed with an unusual name which I am having to spell out to everyone for the rest of my life and I will not inflict the opposite of a very common name on my children either. grin

1horatio Sun 29-May-16 16:47:28

I like Finian and Phineas/Fineas... I personally don't like Fintan.

dramalamma Sun 29-May-16 16:49:04

I have a fintan - he's 7 - he's the only one we know (and we're in Ireland) - it's a great name! We avoided the Finn nickname (though he does get it a bit) because it seemed to be so popular - we know quite a few Finns - though more in UK than in Ireland surprisingly! People always say what s great name it is and it really suits him.

TheHobbitMum Sun 29-May-16 16:52:23

My older teen is a Findley, no one ever called it when he was a baby and definitely not common. Now it's pretty common

Howtocatchastar Mon 30-May-16 16:11:45

I know a couple under 5, one that's spelt Fynn.

EmmaWoodlouse Mon 30-May-16 17:34:54

I know a Finn who is just Finn (about 13), a Fin short for Finley (about 15) and a Finlay who doesn't like being shortened (about 12). I think Finn is probably the most popular at the moment even though I don't know many personally.

I've heard people discussing the name Finnian before, which can also be shortened to Finn, is that any help to you?

RedOnHerHedd Mon 30-May-16 17:39:13

My DBrother died when he was just 2 days old, his middle name was Fenton - which sounds very similar to Fintan. I like it smile

ThisCakeFilledIsle Mon 30-May-16 17:47:02

I know a lot of young Finlays and Finns in Scotland.

mrsschu Mon 30-May-16 18:46:30

I flirted with the notion of Fintan for about 17 seconds while I was pregnant with DS until my mother pointed out that that Fintan is a 60+ year old Irish man who wears tweed jackets, is a bit behind the times, works as a secondary school teacher and has coffee breath... I should point out that she's Irish and a teacher herself! So I decided against it grin. I do like Finn though and haven't met too many where I am in London. Also haven't met any Finley/Finlay's in person (unless they all go by Finn...)

cecilelliott Wed 01-Jun-16 09:28:55

I know loads of Finns in the /South East

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now